Isp blocks port forwarding!

There are 7 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 888 times. The last Post () by codar.

• Hello,
    My isp blocks all ports except the few needed to receive broadband.
    I am told that i have dynamic private-range IP as WAN address on my router, so I can't do any port forwarding.
    Because of this,my public ip doesn't really point to my private ip making my no-ip account useless.
    They are looking for 100 euro to change it to a permanent static ip which i can then port forward.
    I am restricted to this provider as i cannot get any real speed from others using a phone line, i am told that i'm too far from the exchange.
    Is there any way around this with a vpn or will i have to bite the bullet and stump up?
    Also, could anyone tell me if i have to go the static ip route, are there any pros/cons, is there any need fo no-ip/dyndns?
    Thanks.

• Sounds to me that your providers are taking the p**s. I always asumed it was your router that controls Port Forwarding not your ISP. Have you tried using another router?

If your ISP is blocking these ports try asking them how you are supposed to use your XBOX for online gaming or how are you supposed to play games on your PC that require port forwarding. I would certainly check your Terms and conditions as to be honest its never something i have ever come across in the UK. I cannot see providers in your country being any different.

I would just call their bluff and give them notice to terminate stating your port forwarding issue as the reason. If they want to keep you they may sort the issue out rather than losing you as a customer. to be honest CS will usually work OK on anything above 1mb.

My provider uses dynamic IPs which change every day and to be honest it doesn't really cause any issues as i have a router which updates my DNS every time my IP changes. I cannot see how having a Dynamic IP should make any difference from having a Static IP in all honesty.

Nano

Edited 2 times, last by nano ().

• I am getting broadband through an antenna which is pointing to a relay station(probably not the right term). I haven't a phone line , but those next door have and are on more or less dial up speeds due to being so far from exchange. No fibre coming here for foreseeable future, not enough households to justify expence. The xbox seems to work ok for online gaming though, have never had any complaints from the young one about it. After putting a new router in this morning because i had connection issues with server

now running dd-wrt and when i open ports in this, canyouseeme.org still can't see it. Rang provider and thats the story i was told.
    Could try satellite but was exorbitant last time i enquired.
    Will a vpn be the way to go as i don't really have another broadband alternative and those fu*kers know it.
    Cheers.

• Not having used VPS i wouldn't know. There will be other users here who may be able to help you with this inquiry.

As for satellite broadband the prices have come down somewhat in the last few years. If your neighbours are close enough you could always share it it and go halves on the price. It is something worth looking at, the only warning is that sometimes there are line latency issues that make satellite broadband unsuitable for CS. Its usually ok for receiving but it can be sometimes too slow for sending ecms.

I am getting broadband through an antenna which is pointing to a relay station(probably not the right term). I haven't a phone line , but those next door have and are on more or less dial up speeds due to being so far from exchange. No fibre coming here for foreseeable future, not enough households to justify expence. The xbox seems to work ok for online gaming though, have never had any complaints from the young one about it. After putting a new router in this morning because i had connection issues with server
    http://linuxsat-support.com/showthread.php?t=48826
    now running dd-wrt and when i open ports in this, canyouseeme.org still can't see it. Rang provider and thats the story i was told.
    Could try satellite but was exorbitant last time i enquired.
    Will a vpn be the way to go as i don't really have another broadband alternative and those fu*kers know it.
    Cheers.

Using a vps will not sort your port issue. It might sort the bandwidth & ping issue but you will still need to connect to your local network to share your cards..
    Can I assume you are in Ireland?

All your problems have been solved countless times before so try the search box before you post!!
    Please do not Request help by PM, use the main forum so Everyone can benefit from the answers.

• That's correct, in the stormy south west.
    Bandwith and ping seem to be ok, the port forwarding is the issue.
    Was doing a bit of googling and found this:

***VPN offers an one ‘all-in-one’ plan starting at €7 (approx. $9) per month, going up to €54 (approx. $70) for a year’s subscription. There is also a 3 day trial for €1 (approx. $1.30), although if you email them ***VPN will give you this 3 day trial for free. ***VPN is very proud of the fact that it supports dynamic Remote Port Forwarding, which can, among other things, increase P2P performance and avoid restrictions placed on particular ports by ISP’s and is especially useful when using older P2P torrent clients such as eMule/eDonkey that are not able to perform NAT-punching.The ***VPN client is Windows only (with a different version for Windows 8), but instructions are provided for setting up in Linux, MacOSX, Android , iOS, and DD-WRT and Tomato routers

Any thoughts?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!