Suspected Faulty Ethernet Port... :-(

There are 10 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,322 times. The last Post () by spodge007.

• Hi All,

I seem to have had a run of bad luck...

My DM800 is connected up in my bedroom, I use TP Link Powerline adapters to provide a network connection. This has worked very well for me for the past 18 months or so...up until recently anyway!

Just recently the Powerline plug in the bedroom decided to blow. No problem I thought to myself, just order another adapter. I did just that, only to find that the Ethernet port on my DM800 now seems to be dead as well! :-(

After doing some research I seem to be having exactly the same symptoms as described in this link!

So putting it to the very knowledgeable folk on this forum, what should I do...?

- Is it easy to replace the component on the board, and if so where would I get the necessary parts?
    - Should I just cut my losses and sell it on for parts and order a new box?

I work in IT and would be quite happy to give the component replacement a go. I have never used a soldering iron before though, and have not got a clue where to get the parts needed. I'm sure one of my colleagues at work would be more than happy to assist me though! :-)

Any advice would be much appreciated, especially if it saves me some money! ;-)

Cheers,

Spodge

• you could buy the parts from RS or Farnell but be warned they look big in the picture but in reality they are tiny and difficult to solder, and best left to a professional.

110cm Triax Dish multi arm 13,16,19, 23, 28 east fixed 90cm thor

• Thanks for the replies guys.

I had already considered using a WiFi adapter, might look into that option...

I was struggling to re-flash using serial for some reason...does anyone have a decent procedure to follow...? I have done this before using dreamup, but I can't get it to pick up the serial connection via the null modem cable connected to my laptop!!

Spodge

• when you press the power button on the front when you power up does it give you an ip address 192.168.xxx.xxx if yes reflash via internet,if no try a wifi adapter tp link one's excellent.

• Thank you for the link to the tutorial...

Unfortunately I am very familiar with this process, the problem is I don't get a DHCP address (even when connected directly into my router). I was actually after a tutorial to re-flash the box using a serial connection...which appears to be my only option (other than trying a WiFi adapter).

I have re-flashed an image using a serial connection before, sadly I can't remember how I did it! Lol

• Just gave that tool a try, thanks dots looks exactly what I was after and very simple to use...

Sadly the COM port is still not responding! :-( I am starting to think there may be a more serious underlying hardware fault with the box.

I will take my null modem cable into work and confirm that it is working. If the cable is definitely OK then I don't really know where to go from there...?

I have also tried using Tera Term to connect but unsure of the settings baud rate etc. I left it on default 9600, but no response!

Spodge

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!