Advice needed on openbox s10

There are 13 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 4,581 times. The last Post () by khan07958.

• Hello all looking at purchasing a Open box s10 or dreambox 500s.
    Although at present looks like the openbox s10 due to its recording features.
    Which is the more reliable box?
    Can someone advice how reliable these units are for picture quality ie is there alot of glitching?
    Also would appreciate if someone could recommend a working hard drive for these units like 160 or 200gb.
    The satellite side is totally new to me, however plan to learn and help as much asI can.
    Many thanks in advance for all your replies
    Khan

• Thank you all for the help so far much appreciated.
    I have encountered a problem with looping with *** sports it seems to reboot and a few other channels also very hard to get out of this annoying channel and seems to be stuck there and just keeps rebooting.
    Second issue is deleting channels, this feature you would think would be straight forward and user friendly far from it have tried to delete channels and does not work any ideas chaps??
    Extremly dissapointed in the poorly made openbox, have had many other recievers ie Eurovox,Kryptview,dbox2 on cable side all quality boxes until change of encryption derailed things.
    My first sat box and to be honest so far regret buying it. :o(

• The Openbox's are very much a hobbyist reciever, and my s10 is very poorly put together. But (touch wood) i've had no problems so far. My protek9700 is a far better made box and almost plug&play, but only has newcamd C/s capabilites
    I suggest that you do a factory reset on your S10 and reload the lastest firmware (310711) which seems stable and apart from a little glitch after changing channels is fine picture/sound wise.

The s10 is a good box, but probably not the best.

• Managed to sort out a few problems ie certain channels were stuck and kept rebooting the box, this issue was resolved be simply deleting the channels usually *** sports and some others.
    Puchased a western digital 320gb hard drive, the openbox will not pick this up?
    Drive is fine and was checked with my pc.
    Epg on openbox currently shows what is coming on for the next few hours ie 2-4.
    Can anyone help with this as surely you must get at least a days worth of epg on these boxes?
    Cheers
    Khan

• Using the latest image i posted here see post 23

http://linuxsat-support.com/op…rmware-openbox-s10-3.html

and the Dumbo123 channel list i posted below see post 37

http://linuxsat-support.com/op…ox-s9-channel-list-4.html

i have not had one rebooting problem no glitching problems at all so far after 3 days of use

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.

• Khan more bad news for you , the epg is now and next only. :( It is one of the major drawbacks of this box.
    You may need to format your external hard drive to the box for it to work.
    You can do this through the menu.
    Also if it is not a powered hard drive it may not work because the usb dosent give enough power . This mightnt be the case but ive read of a lot of people with this problem.

Boycott shampoo, demand real poo

• Khan more bad news for you , the epg is now and next only. :( It is one of the major drawbacks of this box.
    You may need to format your external hard drive to the box for it to work.
    You can do this through the menu.
    Also if it is not a powered hard drive it may not work because the usb doesn't give enough power . This mightnt be the case but ive read of a lot of people with this problem.

Lol thanks for the heads up mate, that is indeed bad news about the Epg and yes major flaw had I known that before purchase would not have gone ahead. Hopefully a software update can resolve this soon.
    My latest software on my box is from May having tested a few servers alot of glitching on some channels and others not so much.
    Is this software related?
    Not sure if I should download latest firmware as just put my channels in order and deleting the problematic channels do not want to lose this by downloading new firmware?
    I have only tried 2 servers so far and could be the issue rather than firmware?
    Reformatted the external hard drive does not make a difference can anyone recommend a make and model that differently works?
    One last thing been sent a n line and mgcamd to test server, how is this saved on usb?
    C line is saved CCcam.cfg what are the save modes for the other lines like n and m?
    Many thanks
    Khan

• Glitching would be the server's fault I would think. I'm using firmware from march and my box is working perfect, latest firmware won't make any difference I'd say.
    N lines load same as c lines through USB . Mgcamd is done through menu of box.
    Is you're USB powered? The openbox's USB dosent send enough power by itself to power a hard drive

Boycott shampoo, demand real poo

• Glitching would be the server's fault I would think. I'm using firmware from march and my box is working perfect, latest firmware won't make any difference I'd say.
    N lines load same as c lines through USB . Mgcamd is done through menu of box.
    Is you're USB powered? The openbox's USB dosent send enough power by itself to power a hard drive

Thanks for that mate :o)
    Entered N line as c line an this worked a treat!!!!
    Whats the process of mgcamd mate?
    You seem to know alot about these boxes lol, I take it you have done a phd on them :o)
    My hd is a usb powered only, which drive would you recommend that works 100%?
    Cheers
    khan

• Western digital seems to be ok as long as it's below 1tb. It is a bit hit and miss though so don't take it as gospel lol. Do a quick google and you will find a few examples

Thats what I tried mate, WD my passport 320gb usb and it did not work.
    Will 100% be staying away from these :o)
    khan

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!