Upgrading to hd tv but what receiver? Advice please

There are 7 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 850 times. The last Post () by snappy.

• Hi, I currently have a crt tv with a spiderbox Sd5000. I have decided to upgrade to a 32" hd tv. Not sure what stb to get so thought I'd ask here.
    I have a motorised sat setup with Dark Motor. I mostly use it for Football viewing taking the FTA channels on different sats or use feeds from various sites. This means that I need to be able to enter transponder details, and to do occasional blind scans. My Spiderbox has PVR which I use but I'm not needing to record one programme whilst watching another.
    I'm not very keen on my Spiderbox's control over the motor - erratic moves, some failure to save new settings, annoying in not being able to go back to previously viewed channel via a "back" button (as I could with my Tecnomate 5400).
    I don't use cards or c lines. But I do input through the emu softcams - and would want to continue this to see some matches.
    Spiderbox picture was better than TM and the support was there. I would like similar support for any new box. Ideas welcome.

• What is your budget? A Vu+ solo would be ideal for your needs if you can afford! They are very good boxes with massive support but be sure to get an genuine box not a clone as you will not get any manufacturer warranty with any clones!! Also most forums (including this one) don't support clones. Have a look on world-of-satellite.co.uk they only sell genuine boxes so you can be certain that you won't get a clone.

• Looking at WOS on the Vu+ I noticed the solo was 1080i, not 1080p. Looking elsewhere it seems that on a 1080p 32" hdtv this is hardly noticeable. Any thoughts?
    Also the WOS site offered 4 firmwares. On my Spiderbox and TM I loaded "independently" upgraded firmware. I assume I'd do the same here. But which of the options makes best sense to have at the start? Vix?

• Looking at WOS on the Vu+ I noticed the solo was 1080i, not 1080p. Looking elsewhere it seems that on a 1080p 32" hdtv this is hardly noticeable. Any thoughts?
    Also the WOS site offered 4 firmwares. On my Spiderbox and TM I loaded "independently" upgraded firmware. I assume I'd do the same here. But which of the options makes best sense to have at the start? Vix?

solo 2 will give you 1080p but most hd broadcast is max 1080 i

solo2 and duo2 are the Awsome choices to make which will make your choice kinda futureproof...However there are no 1080P live so to speak broadcasts at present unless you watched tests on 10east? sly recently tested an english premiership match on a 150" samsumg in ultra hd...or 4k as it is more commonly known as now so its on its way to us but not just yet!

Netflix via virgin media on their tivo box are broadcasted in 1080p tho.

• Thanks for comments so far. Further questions: I have read the official manual for the Solo2 and could find no reference to number of channels the stb can store. For a motorised dish my Spiderbox only holds 5000. It may seem far more than one could view/listen to, but doing blind scans across several satellites can easily yield this number and then if there are more than 5000 on the stb it doesn't save the scan.
    Looking at the blackhole site I found no references to softcams or key entries. Does the Vix firmware and add-ons provide any of this? And if a feed hunter provides a new satellite transponder can I easily just input that transponder or does one have to do a blind scan again?
    My other problem is my broadband - waste of time for viewing (less than 300kbits) but will I be able to benefit much from the network capabilities of this box - or the Solo? I assume I will but I'm not sure by how much.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!