Need some advice after Aerial Installation Please ??

There are 17 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,490 times. The last Post () by carmine.

• I recently had a new Digital Tv roof aerial fitted with built in 5 way booster and also cam with power pack for aerial.

Let me explain my set up Before I Had -

old 50 year old aerial on roof feeding down to main tv in living room off of that on plug behind main tv i had a 4 way booster than was hard wired to another 3 tvs in house one of them being tv in bedroom which has hard wired aerial lead that also lets me change stb channels from upstairs in bedroon. Anyway all tvs worked and i could view stb on other tvs through this hard wired connections on analogue channel on these other tvs. Also had rf modulator that let me use my stb which i have mentioned is a Vu Duo. And all worked well.

Now since having installation i now have brand new Digital aerial that has a 5 way booster that feeds again 3 tvs around the house and instead of plug booster behing main tv i have a 4 way splitter but this time i have alot of interference on tv in bedroom, not clear that it was before why could this be could anybody on this great forum advise me on what i could do ?

Thanks all the Best Guys and hope your all enjoying the world cup..........

• Just so you know, there is no such thing as a digital aerial.
    Try unplugging the aerial, if the picture improves it would suggest that your modulator output is close or on top of a digital MUX. Adjust the modulator output to a different channel and retune your tv accordingly.
    Another possibility is, you mention fitting a 5 way booster, it's possible you have too much signal which will introduce noise onto your system, try replacing the booster for a splitter.

Sent by pressing buttons.

• your problem is too much signal ¬
    the rf modulator puts out 70db and you incoming feed is boosted too from what you have said !
    Try changing the RF output frequency of the modulator to a higher channel like 55 _ dont go over 60 as 4g signals may be present there.
    If that doesn't work you'll need to attenuate the signal before it loops through the modulator .
    ideally you need to know how much DB is present from the amplified aerial feed before attenuating ?
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/search?text=uhf+attenuator&x=0&y=0

It may just be more simple for you to speak to your aerial installer and ask if he can set it up for you with a meter !

:rikjaard1:

78cm dish on tm2300 metal gear motor + 1m Orb with tm2300 + 1.8m Channel Master on H-H floor mount + 80cm ISS with TM2300 AND Inverto Black LNB,inverto Unicable QUDL 42 LNB,- Global invacom Dscc LNB,- Triax KA LNB, - Yuri LNBF C Band YLF-CDP16C

• Thats a difficult one without actually seeing exactly how its setup.

It could be a number of factors that is causing the issue but to be honest i would co for co-channel interference. Crystal Place uses channels from ch22 to ch35. Unless its an expensive modulator that doesn't have the issue of vestigial sideband interference then channel 21 is completely out as its too close to the digital mux on ch22.

The other issue you have is that there is more than one transmitter covering your area which could also cause problems. Hannington which is also horizontal polarity like Crystal Palace uses frequencies from ch 32 to Ch47. Hemdean transmitter may also give some problems even though its has vertical polarity.

Without a meter I think its going to be a case of just messing with the modulator to find a free frequency. I would start looking above ch 37. I doubt its going to work below that.

If that doesn't work i would then look at attenuating the signal a bit. You can get variable ones of ebay if you look for them.

Nano

Edited once, last by nano ().

• I have spoken to installer and he installed with meter says i was getting 15-20 more decibel he said like you to try changing output frequency i put at 68 and other 2 tvs were better but still not as good as before very little in it but tv upstairs is still worse than before and when i put to 68 was worse than when it was at 21, also tried 57 and 40 even worse , Help lol !!!

• attenuating signal a bit what would i need for that ??

• Just go onto ebay, go to the sound and vision section and type in "attenuator" into the search box.

You can use either the static ones set at a specific attenuation or you can use a variable one.

Something like ebay item number 370552240392

5e1e2fb2edebc2e35c.jpg

Just one thing that no one has mentioned, check that the connectors on the cable feeding the TV with the poor picture. Make sure that the outer braid is not touching the center core of the coax. Just one little bit of braid will screw the picture up completely.

Nano

Edited once, last by nano ().

• none of the aerial leads have been touched only new aerial on roof and splitter 4 way behind main tv. these attenuater where do i put it lol ?

• Hi,
    on the line to the bedroom where the interference is.
    Better still, if you could draw exactly what you have, cables , splitters etc, it deffo would be more clearer to everyone trying to advise you.

• have u tested taking the aerial source out ..first, just to make sure that's the interference.

if so , meter needed , I have a tv explorer , quite happy to have about high 50 s low db muxes , and normally a maxed out mer of aboot 32 which is good normally equals to 1 error in 1000000 bits..

installer should know that .

attenuate down to these levels . then measure all points for losses etc ( broken face plate s . ) connections lol

if still the same check every tv is tuned in proper the aerial side , the vu mod rf side move away from known aerial broadcasts in your area .

is still the same prob try dif modulator ..best of luck

Edited once, last by brad ().

• Yes have tried tsking aerial sorce out no difference

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

right then so its not aerial that's the prob ... as you are passing to the amp ..I presume output of modulator . do you know what size gain amp it and is it an old type one ..it should say on amp gain db

just to be sure .. what I can remember from my anolouge day lol .. low 70s db was a decent working signal .. and would be fine and prob what you want to tvs from the vu box .

but it would be hard for you to diagnose this without a meter ... im thinking along the lines of maybe either , check all connection s properly . first then can you test a new bit of cable just temp and test to one of the tv s input first then output of the amp .. ( just join it input of amp first ) see if you get a better quality picture . .if still the same try diff modulator ...

please don't expect hd quality to the tvs lol on the anolouge uhf side of your tv lol

• Have fitted attenuator and filter and temporarily have plug booster for bedroom and all ok for now but will re wire tv upstairs as its older thinner white aerial cable signal very week and may go for new rf mofulator trI link ?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

General Satellite & Installation Support Forum

Support for LNBs, Single satellite, motorised and multi-satellite systems. DiSEqC switches, positioners, motors, actuators, dish-alignment help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!