I bought a 5800sx on eBay and would like some advice...!

There are 6 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,308 times. The last Post () by nano.

• Hi all! I hope this it the right place to post this...

I recently started dabbling in satellite boxes and had an Openbox X5 for a while, but it's lack of features frustrated me, so I invested in an nBox 5800sx. The specs for my box are below.

My question is this: Below is a list of things I want to be able to do with my box, what is the best way of going about getting them?

1. I want to be able to set up a Mgcamd line
    2. I want a full 7 day EPG with channel logos
    3. I'd rather the OS was stored in NAND as I assume this means that I wouldn't then need to have a USB stick plugged in all the time or to have it taking up space on my hard disk.

As I said in my into post, I am new to linux boxes.. and I'm finding the plethora of OSs to be very overwhelming. I read that OpenPLI is supposed to be the bog standard OS to use, so would I be best flashing that? If so, where can I download it? (preferably also with some instructions on how to flash it).

I greatly appreciate any help any of you can offer.

Preinstalled within NAND is hyperion V4
    Duel boot includes freebox and b4t

Boot options include

o Nbox

o n-Hyperion {main image it boots too}

o n-Fbox

o UPDT {update to new image if required}

o HDD1 {To boot from HD}

o HDD2

o USH1 {to boot from USB}

o USH2

o USH3

o ENV3 mac3 +HDD

o Fb-uboot {Boot options}

Thanks,
    Five.

Edited 2 times, last by number5: Removed live link ().

• If you have the twin tuner box you would be better off using OSCam over MGCamd as MGCamd cannot decode two separate streams at the same time. If you watch one encrypted channel whilst recording another encrypted channel i can guarantee the recorded channel will be black if you use MGCamd.

Watch how much stuff you put on those boxes as they don't have a huge amount of space in NAND.

Most of the images on these boxes are based around OpenPli whether it be Hyperion or Gratilla or others.

Nano

• Hi Nano,

Thanks for that - I have no experience using OSCam. How would I configure the box to use that? Would I use a web UI via my home network and the box's IP? Or do I have to use FTP...?

Do you know of any pages where there is a basic introduction to linux boxes covering these kinds of things? I don't want to ask such basic questions on the forums if I can avoid it.

• Thanks to both of you for your advice on this. I've got the box running on Hyperion V4 USB and it is running ok, but I'm having a bit of an issue that I hope you can give me a pointer or two about. Most, if not all, of my sly channels are freezing occasionally. I *think* it's ok and doesn't freeze when watching a Freesat channel like BBC 1, but on Sly 1 it keeps freezing.

I don't know whether it's caused by the box being slow or some problem with my Oscam settings... Do you have any pointers which may help? I'm not really sure that I'm using correct Oscam settings, but it is connected. Is Oscam an either 'working' or 'not working' kind of protocol? Or could dodgy settings make it work intermittently?

• The freezing will probably be server side not your box. The reason it freezes on $ky1 is because its an encrypted channel. Sometimes there will be a lag with the ecm which is what causes the freeze, sometimes its just a bad ecm/CW which usually causes the dreaded ten second freeze. FTA channels don't need an ecm to open the channel as its not encrypted.

Occasional freezing is pretty much the norm. $ky have been playing the last few months to try and stop CS. Make the most of it,its only a matter of time before it goes off completely.

Nano

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!