dyndns or static question

There are 8 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 823 times. The last Post () by hs5424.

• Hi All,
    I currently have a dyndns account which has been running with dhcp ok for the past 3years.
    I now have to buy a new account and I was wondering if I should also order a static IP from my isp at this stage.
    Any advantage to ecm timing etc.
    Thanks in advance.

• if you go for a static ip ,,you wont need a dyndns account,,,,,,,,,,,,i prefer to have a dynamic ip address. a static ip is easy to trace "copyright material comes to mind...".....as for ecm times i never noticed any differance....as i had a static ip for a few years,,but lost it when i moved to bt infinity.....unless you are hosting a web server,,,file server,, ect i dont see any advantage.......maybe when we move to ipv6 we will all have static ip addresses......as there will be 340 trillion,trillion,trillion, to go around.

• Thanks for getting back to me.
    I presume you mean that a static ip address without a dyndns account can be traced easily. The dyndns account carries out two functions. 1. Gives a high level of privacy and 2. tracks your dynamic ip address. Correct me if I am not correct.
    Thanks again.

• I presume you mean that a static ip address without a dyndns account can be traced easily. The dyndns account carries out two functions. 1. Gives a high level of privacy
    Thanks again.

dns doesn't give high level of privacy, if you go on command promt and type ping dns it will give you the ip address.

• Thanks for getting back to me. You are correct. Just tried pinging a few dyndns accounts and it showed me their ip addresses. This question arose recently when a friend mentioned that he had a dyndns account but also had a static ip from his service provider. He is adamant that this is the best way for a server to run. ??????.

• The only advantage of having a DNS account with a static IP address is that most peers don't note the IP address down so if you change your dns it gets rid of them if they are a bad peer.

If you want a cheap dns provider try DTDNS.

Nano

• The only advantage of having a DNS account with a static IP address is that most peers don't note the IP address down so if you change your dns it gets rid of them if they are a bad peer.

If you want a cheap dns provider try DTDNS.

Nano

Thanks Nano.
    I was considering setting up my new server with another company other than dyndns.com. However my Lynksys router has only two providers (dyndns.org and Tzo.com) in the drop down tab in the DDNS part of the menu. I wonder am I limited with this router to using these two providers.

• TZO.com is now owned DYNDNS.

If you wish to update the dns you will could try and find out if there is a firmware upgrade for your router which may give it the option to update other providers.

Nano

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!