How to recover a dead smargo reader

There are 7 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 6,934 times. The last Post () by hs5424.

• Official Post

Many have reported success using this method,
    all credit to n2610 @ cccam forum for this guide.

If somebody has smargo "damaged" by update but the geen LED is lighting after plugging to the USB there is probably chance to bring it back life

Make simple test:
    1. insert smargo to USB - green LED should light but system doesn't recognise device.
    2. insert some smart card revrserd to the slot to active card detect only - green led should start blink.
    3 instert card properly - green led should be dark

If all points pass it means u have some chance to repair smargo.

To repair it u must open the case to have access to the electronic board.
    Put the board USB plug up.
    At right side u should have small 3 pin transistor and more at rite side 3 holes placed vertically.
    We are interested in this small transitor.
    It has 3 legs/pins up and 1 down.
    We are interested in it's right up leg/pin (base or gate).
    Solder small wire to this leg/pin and connect second side to GND.

If you afraid about transistor (normally it has resistors inside) you can use small resistor (~1kB) instead of wire.

I've connected it small capacitor located below r-pack (right side of the capacitor) but u can connect it anywhere u find GND
    After that u can connect smargo to the PC and it should be normally detectable.

Run ./srp_update_x86 -b to activate bootloader mode.
    Remove and reinsert smargo.
    Run ./srp_update_x86 -f to flash reader again.
    If u see this message:
    start flashing
    ################################################## ######## done
    Please remove and reinsert SmartReader+

wait about 2-3 minutes and then disconnect your smargo reader.
    After this process u can remove the wire and smargo should be alive again

Probably not all smargo will get up after this process but is probably the most of them get a cure

Picture shows the two points used in this guide ( red line )

Good Luck !

• Official Post

thanks for this info
    i am ok with opening and soldering the link ok but what is this:
    Run ./srp_update_x86 -b

do i just type ./srp_update_x86 -b in Run in the start up menu or is it something i should download?

Never attempted this myself but believe this is part of windows smartreader tools.

• thanks for that, you are correct it is part of the smartreader tools, but did not work anyway, perhaps my problem was different as the server does recognise the smargo, but just doesnt read the card.
    anyway i was thinking of trying a omnikey reader but unsure which model to buy as there appear to be several different models. could anyone tell me which is the one most used with ubuntu server?
    i see 3121 advertised most, is this ok?

• Tried the suggestion from this site on how to recover dead smargo by fitting link or resistor on smargo pcb.
    I am testing the smargo in my windows PC.
    With 1k resistor fitted smargo is now detected by windows but I get a notice that says something like usb malfunction. Without resistor link my pc does not see the smargo. Is my smargo a dead duck.
    Any ideas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!