S9 - No Signal and loss off some HD channels

There are 9 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,827 times. The last Post () by scoobyjones1.

• Hi All,

I'm having some problems with my new S9 box and would appreciate some assistance getting it sorted.

Problem: No Signal on higher frequency v polarised transponders and loss off some HD channels.

Back ground:
    SlY setup about 6-8 month old.
    SlY dish pointing at 28.3 (astra) with quad output LNB
    SlY HD box in lounge using two of the quad feeds from LNB
    Openbox S9 in bedroom using one of the feeds from the quad LNB.

I have no problems with the SlY HD box what so ever. All expected channels received cleanly, no break up.

On the openbox s9, however, I'm having problems receiving vertical polarised channels on the higher frequencies.

The channels that do work are showing 85+% signal strength and 75+% quality.

No problems with the horizontal transponders at all as far as I can tell.

As an experiment, I disconnected the satellite cables from the SlY box to see if it made any improvements on the openbox. No improvements were observed.

If the dish was misaligned, surly I would have problems on the SlY receiver too wouldn't I?

Also, I tried connecting the openbox to one of the satellite feeds in the lounge. Known working cable. It made no difference. Still low signal on higher frequency vertical transponders.

I was up at the dish yesterday and noticed that the bubble on the LNB arm was not in the centre. I corrected the dish so now the bubble is in the centre. I also checked skew on the LNB. It is set at 3.

I’m still not getting any further with it.

I’ve tried a different firmware, mainly latter versions. No difference.

I’m going back to the original firmware tonight as that one game me the best results but suffered from lip sync. I seems to remember that the HD channels were at least there. But no *** New.

I’m clutching at straws now…

Any help would be most appreciated.

• Did you go back to the original firmware, what happened?

Yes I did. No difference. In fact now I’m missing BBC ONE HD and others on that transponder. Its definitely something to do with vertical transponders. Perhaps the skew isn’t quire correct. But then again my SlY box would be not be working either. Right?

When correcting polarisation, ie. skew, is it better to centre the LNB at 90 degrees to the dish and offset the dish or have the dish set correctly on the horizontal plane using the level bubble and rotate the LNB?

• Dont mind "the bubble" is only a sales gimmic if your other box is working fine then the prob is with the s9. Are you using a fav list or have you scanned the channels manually,if manually make sure you do a blind scan and not the preset. If that does not work then you may have a tuner problem.

• Dont mind "the bubble" is only a sales gimmic if your other box is working fine then the prob is with the s9. Are you using a fav list or have you scanned the channels manually,if manually make sure you do a blind scan and not the preset. If that does not work then you may have a tuner problem.

Thanks for posting.

I've been going blind scans.

I've even tried using a satellite booster both at the lnb end and receiver end. It made no difference.

I have tried updating the firmware, downgrading the firmware, using known good coax from existing sly hd box, upgrading the coax to WF100 coax and satellite booster. Purchased a satellite signal meter to fine tune the dish setup and lnb skew. I now have upgraded good quality coax, optimum dish and lnb setup. It all makes no difference.

I have no other option but to declare it as a faulty S9 unit and return it to the supplier.

• Update and closure:
    After messing about with the S9 box for two weeks, upgrading and downgrading firmware, upgrading coax to higher quality, optimising dish and lnb setup using a satellite meter, etc I had no success of making it work. I gave up and sent it back to the supplier for a replacement. Yesterday I received the replacement S9 and all working problem free – apart from lip sync on HD channels which I’m sure a firmware upgrade should fix.

So if anyone out there has an S9/S10 refusing to pick up V higher frequency transponders (e.g. Sly News 12207Mhz V), don’t spend too much time on it. The unit is more than likely to be faulty. Just send it back.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!