Fresh ubuntu install on new machine grub-pc not installing!! Help??

There are 5 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 309 times. The last Post () by multipack.

• Hi lads,

Our current live tower has crashed a few times during the last week. Thought it might be a simple re mount the RAM's or something similar but on inspection the cpu is getting hot. The inside of the tower has a lot of dis-coloration (Brown) so shagged i'D say.

I have been trying to install ubuntu on a new HP proliant which I got from my brother but every time I try to install ubuntu 14.04.1 it says the grub-pc can't install. I am going to try 12.04.5 and see how it goes. If anyone has had the same issues I'd appreciate your input!!

Thanks

Bean!!

Edited 2 times, last by Bean ().

• Format the hdd first or even create a partition for ubuntu, ive recently installed 14.04 server edition on 2 machines without any issues.

• Still having issues with the install. I have used boot repair disk to repair the boot and it tells me it has fixed it but when I try to reboot it just hangs on attempting to boot from hard drive.

Using the repair disk I am able to run gparted and format the hard drive to ext4 which it says runs successfully so then I try to install ubuntu again and again grub-pc fails to install. Everything else installs except this. Is there another way to manually install this? This is driving me round the twist now at this stage!!

Help please!!:34_002:

• when you run the install use expert install, you get that option if you used unetbootin to make the usb install stick.
    Then when you get to the grub installation part specify /dev/sda1 for grub.

110cm Triax Dish multi arm 13,16,19, 23, 28 east fixed 90cm thor

• Thanks for that. I have managed to get the OS to install and reboot but the problems continue.

During the installation it asked me if I wanted to install additional software including universe and multiverse. When I selected to have these additional software packages installed it failed the install step so I continued the install without these packages. Now I can't install opensc / libccid / pcscd

I have tried multiple commands and steps but it does not recognize any commands. Anybody got any ideas?

• try downloading the ubuntu server iso again and use the checksum to make sure it isnt corrupted, also try another usb key, ive had problems in the past using certain brands.
    if your installing with cd burn it at the lowest speed.
    What app are you using to create the usb install/burn the cd?

110cm Triax Dish multi arm 13,16,19, 23, 28 east fixed 90cm thor

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!