gigablue quad plus vs vu+ duo2

There are 9 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 5,025 times. The last Post () by ekkostar.

• Hi guys

I'm treating myself to a new satellite/cable box

But can't decide between theses two gigablue quad plus vs vu+ duo2

If I buy the qaud im going to have 2x DVD-S2 and 2x DVB-C/T

On duo2 1X dual DVB-S2 1x DVB-C/T

I own duo and xtrend already

I'm sick of sly channels with no HD anymore so like the idea of cable HD

I'm already on cable broadband

What do you guys think

On duo2 with one cable tuner I'm right you can only record one channel unless Get twin C/T but like the idea of using sat as well

Quad with have twin C/T so could record more than one channel

Any help much appreciated Thanks

Up to 4 plug and play tuners provide enough room to satisfy even the most demanding user.

Duo2 can be configured with 2 dvb-t/c as well as 2 dvb-s2 tuners. (as far as i'm aware)
    Support for vu heavily outways support for gigablue, for this reason alone, i'd choose vu.
    But thats only an opinion.

• Duo2 can be configured with 2 dvb-t/c as well as 2 dvb-s2 tuners. (as far as i'm aware)
    Support for vu heavily outways support for gigablue, for this reason alone, i'd choose vu.
    But thats only an opinion.

The level of support a receiver has is quite hard to gauge and people always make the assumption that one box is more supported because it has more teams producing images for it. well thats just plain wrong, any one can build a image for a receiver from a public GIT but that does not mean it has support.

Support also has to come from the manufacturer in the form of fixes and updates and in that respect Vu+ are one of the worst supported.

The main problem is the refusal of Vu+ to update their libraries used in their build environment which then leads to a lot of problems for third party image teams because their own libraries are often many versions (even years) newer than what the Vu+ hardware drivers were built for.

Now I am not saying GB are more supportive but at this time they are more likely to actually respond to the image teams when reporting issues, case in point. Rossi asked for and received full 1080 HD buffer support from Gigablue, Xtrend and other manufacturers over 6 months ago when he started building his first YouViX based skins and his own ViX HD images, most came good in a very short period of time such as Gigablue and even some of the less well known and newer to the market manufacturers stepped up with support , Vu+ however dragged their heels and only released their own 1080 HD frame buffer support a few weeks ago. so don't always just assume a box is more supported because it has more images out for it because it likely is not.

OpenViX on Twitter @0penViX

Edited once, last by pheonix ().

• I stand corrected.
    I'd still go for a vu over gb though.

I did not post to correct you mate, just to educate users into the perception that more images equals more support.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a heads up.

ALL new images (except BH and VTI as they are based on Vu+'s ancient OI) are currently having issues with the Vu+ receivers with regard to IPTV (IE it does not work at all), this is due to Vu+ using a ancient version of gstreamer from DMM, every team (including the newest builds of Pli and ALL OE-A teams using the newest v2.4 OE) who are using the latest versions of gstreamer are suffering as a result, where as pretty much every other manufacturer does not have this problem.

Just another example of how poor support can be from some manufacturers, and hopefully this gives Vu+ another kick in the arse to get their crap sorted.

OpenViX on Twitter @0penViX

• I stand corrected.
    I'd still go for a vu over gb though.

Duo2 over a Gigablue for sure.

I don't think you are wrong at all. VU receivers have far more support end of. Support manifests itself in a number of keys ways and having a massive user base helps to further self support itself. The more image teams that support a receiver it stands to reason the more support it has - end of.

Edited once, last by ekkostar ().

• After reading countless posts I opted for the gigablue over the VU Duo2

got this last week and had an arse about with it but needed an adapter for my cable feed as the cable connection on box isn't screw in.. its like aerial plug so got it set up earlier. Initially had a fuck up with the image, asked for openatv which it came with but no matter what I tried I couldn't FTP to box, so reflashed with openvix and that's whats running now. Downloaded the stuff I use for epg etc... pic from LCD screen on front of box

next few are from on screen, and channel lists

these ones are for EPG and tuner details

Must admit the box is rapid at channel changes... easy enough to setup I suppose, if u know ur way around enigma2

Very happy with purchase which was made from forum sponsor too.

• Thanks the gigablue hd quad plus looks awesome

Swaying towards that now

But put off buying one just yet because just found mutant hd 2400

Anyone got feedback on this box compared to gigablue

All I can find is mutant will support xbmc soon

• The Duo2 already supports XBMC via the new BH beta images

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!