Problem wiring up main tv with european sat and freeview box and other telly ?

There are 18 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,006 times. The last Post () by carmine.

• Hi Guys,

I have just been to my aunties house and as her analogue signal has gone went o buy her a cheap freeview HD box.

So let me explain she has HD tv , European (technomate) stb and Freeview box, I have 3 cables coming in behind main tv one is aerial, other is satllite lead for technomate box and other is just normal aerial lead from older telly in conservatory, Now i have wire up and can only see the Technomate ie hotbird in conservatory, nothing from freeview box ??

Any advice ??

Carmine

• other is just normal aerial lead from older telly in conservatory

Any advice ??

Carmine

The HD FREEVIEW box most likely doesn't have a modulater ! which means you cant tune the tv in the conservatory to an RF (mhz) frequency cos the box isn't making one !

You need a 2and cheap feeeview box for the conservatory to keep things simple and cheap or else its long scarts or HdMi cables and splitters ? :59:

Check on the Hd Freeview spec to see if it has a modulator ! what box is it anyhowz mate !

Rik

78cm dish on tm2300 metal gear motor + 1m Orb with tm2300 + 1.8m Channel Master on H-H floor mount + 80cm ISS with TM2300 AND Inverto Black LNB,inverto Unicable QUDL 42 LNB,- Global invacom Dscc LNB,- Triax KA LNB, - Yuri LNBF C Band YLF-CDP16C

• Hi Rik,

Its a - ( Technika STBHDIS2010A Freeview HD STB )

Any ideas ?

Thanks
    carmine

• Hello Carmine

THat box does NOT have an RF(radio Frequency) modulater ! So you CANT send the picture along the coax cable to the conservatory ! The easiest thing for you to do is (A) use a cheap freeview box in the conservatory (about £20)
    (B) Replace the conservatory tv for a FLATSCREEN digital type ! (between £89-£200)

Obviously A is the cheapest and simplist method imo !

Rik

78cm dish on tm2300 metal gear motor + 1m Orb with tm2300 + 1.8m Channel Master on H-H floor mount + 80cm ISS with TM2300 AND Inverto Black LNB,inverto Unicable QUDL 42 LNB,- Global invacom Dscc LNB,- Triax KA LNB, - Yuri LNBF C Band YLF-CDP16C

• Hello Carmine

THat box does NOT have an RF(radio Frequency) modulater ! So you CANT send the picture along the coax cable to the conservatory ! The easiest thing for you to do is (A) use a cheap freeview box in the conservatory (about £20)
    (B) Replace the conservatory tv for a FLATSCREEN digital type ! (between £89-£200)

Obviously A is the cheapest and simplist method imo !

Rik

Hi Rik

Thanks, just one last thing if i get her box for telly in conservatory will aerial be ok as all it does is run from front room to rear not from aerial on roof its just an aerial lead front front to rear.

thanks
    carmine

• Yes it should be ok ! you need to make sure its set up in this kind of fashion

TV aerial socket in front room goes direct to HD box Aerial in socket THEN
    Out of HD box to Technomate aerial IN !
    Technomate (RF)OUT socket is where you connect lead to conservatory (you might need a barrel type convertor if the end is male or you can use a Y splitter ! that will pass the roof aerial signal onto the conservatory !

Now make sure HD box is connected with a scart lead to main tv OR Hdmi if its a flatscreen HD ready set
    &
    Technomate is connected via scart to main tv !

The reason i say scart is cos i believe/Assume your using Analogue CRT type tv's if my understanding of what you said earlier in the post is correct !

Let us know how you get on mate or you need to know anything else i will try my best !

Rik

• Hi Rik,

Your a top man, I spoke to auntie and she wants to go for a cheap small lcd instead of cheap box as tv in conservatory is over 20 years old lol, so will follow your instructions for wiring up new telly in conservatory oh sorry your instructions are for another box are`nt they.

Thanks
    carmine

• The same applies to a Flatscreen ! you plug the coax wire from the technomate directly into the new consrvatory set ! Remeber you'll need to tune both analogue and digital frequencies to pick up both technomate and Freeview !

Nice job carmine your mother in law will be happy ! beer10

Stay cool

Rik

Ps Remember to switch the technomate on during the tuneing process or the new tv wont be able to find the signal ? lol :dribble:

• Hi Mate,

Went to my aunties yesterday and did what you said and Technomate, HD Freeview Box front room telly and new lcd 24" Freeview telly in conservatory working spot on :)))))))))

Thankyou
    Saluti
    Carmine

• (Apologies in advance wanted to start new post but dont know where to post it)
    lol

I have major probs with my old analogue aerial, although on main tv i have satelite and have no probs viewing digital fta tv no probs, also have another 3 tellys hard wired up from booster thats from main analogue aerial from main telly in front room. I have noticed that when a scooter passes my house or large lorry alot of interference when watching through main telly on Digital tv ie freeview and same if not worse on other tellys also ofcorse when weather have bad reception on all four tellys, do i need new digital aerial and if so could i install myself or better to get a professional in ??

Thanks in advance guys ??

Saluti
    carmine

• Carmine a good aerial will help, because you havnt got a strong signal your TV's are picking up static from everywhere. Re the aerial install not difficult if your agile enough to access your roof, the electrical connections are very straight forward as well. If you checkout the direction and type of your neighbours aerial you will get a good starting point.

• There is so many reasons why that could be hapening mate !
    i agree what MaryQ says to some extent however i think it could be poor quality coaxial or a dodgy amp ?
    it is very easy to work out what happening with the aid of a tv and good digi box you can use the inbuilt signal meter to determine the signal in different locations !

So start is make a note of the signal the digi box is recieving say in the bedroom ?
    2and is take a tv and digi box to the loft and check the signal page in the digi box there when plugged directly to the Aerial !
    by process of elimination you can find the answer but it means lugging about ya Digi tv and or digi box to different rooms ect to work ot where the problem lies !

If the signal directly from the aerial is still rubbish then wait until after digital switch over cos where i am before digi switch over signal was 25000watts
    Post DSO they increased it by x10 so its now 250000 watts which means alot of places with weak signals before can receive better now

When your really stuck and dont like climbing on the roof its best to get a pro in ! usual cost for digi aerial connected to 4 existing points can be expensive but have a ring around and see what you can get !

Stay cool

Rik

• Great Information M8 as always thankyou very much, I actually have 2 aerials on rook both really old analogue aerials facing crystal Palace so ends of aerials are one in front room and other one that never gets used in back room, I know the aerial cables are of very poor quality, never been changed in 40 odd years :(

• Carmine, following your last the amazing thing is your receiving anything i.e 2 old aerial and 40 year old coax. Get a proper install done m8. !!

• If your recieving from crystal palace then you will pay LONDON prices ! which i think is more than rest of the country :bad_smelly: !
    So here on the south coast an Aerial installed on a pole on the chimney starts @ £130 through to £180 if outdoor mast head amps are required !
    Then add between £40-£60 per additonal point !
    So i guestimate @ worst = New aerial with amp/filter = £180 to main tv + 3 additional points @£60 could be as much as a total of £360 !
    i would get a couple of estimates and see what you can bargain them down too !
    Remeber that if your new stuff lasts 40 years then that estimate i gave you would work out at £9 per year of service ! which is less than 25pence a week !
    They should install your stuff safely too ! remeber Rod Hull ?

Good luck mate ! let us know what happens wont you !

Rik

:rikjaard2:

• not got aerial fitted yet but dtv found new channels so let telly find them and noticed as tv watching tuning in channels signal strength at 10 out of 10 then down to 5/10 then last channels found as low as 3/10

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!