Should a motor turn just by pressing the manual button alone?

There are 8 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,457 times. The last Post () by fumbduck.

• Hi all,

I installed a motorised satellite system together with new cabling as part of a house renovation. When I left it it was all working fine; the motor was turning both manually and through the receiver and I was picking up a number of birds.

Several months later, I gave it another another test run before fitting the cable faceplates and the motor isn't turning. I connected up the same receiver and I can see that there is no light on the motor (suggesting that there is no power to the motor?).

So i got the ladder out and pressed the manual left and right buttons on the motor, but the motor did not turn, therefore my question is should a motor turn when I press the manual buttons even thought there is no power to it?
    Also does the skew of the LNB make any difference to whether a motor will turn or not?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

• The motor will not move without a power supply.... And no, the skew of the lnb will not make any difference to the motor turning. No power, no movement....

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk Pro

fI7WHhv.png

Please click on the "Like" :thumbup: button if you find the information and support posted on the forum helpful.

• If it's a twin tuner make sure you've got the cable connected to the motor for the tuner which is being used. As when mine was incorrectly setup it kept swapping tuners and power to the motor kept switching on and off when my receiver swapped tuners. The tuners need to be set up correctly. Not ideal but worked for me I did the tongue test on the cables to see which one power came from then I put that one in to see if the light cam on on the motor

• Thanks all for the replies. Sometimes I just need double-check the most basic of things!

Which brings me on another basic question; I've fitted an octo LNB, am I right in thinking that all the cables (when connected to a receiver) should be able to move the motor or is it just one?

Not ideal but worked for me I did the tongue test on the cables to see which one power came from then I put that one in to see if the light cam on on the motor

When you say 'the tongue test', I presume you mean 'lick' the cable to see if you can feel an electric current?

• Only the one cable will move the motor, the other 7 coming from the lnb will bypass the motor and go straight to the receivers.... You have one feed that runs from your receiver to the input on the motor, and then another feed runs from the output on the motor to the lnb...

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk Pro

fI7WHhv.png

Please click on the "Like" :thumbup: button if you find the information and support posted on the forum helpful.

• I had a sneaking suspicion that only one cable ran the motor. I did mark each of the cables as to where they went in the house when I fitted the LNB, only trouble is the marks have now washed off :-(

Yes, don't worry it's fun

I can see an episode on Panorama (on BBC Knowledge 13E obviously) on this; kids in the UK are turning to a new way to get their 'kicks' - licking motorised sat cables!

Thanks all for your help.

bb69

General Satellite & Installation Support Forum

Support for LNBs, Single satellite, motorised and multi-satellite systems. DiSEqC switches, positioners, motors, actuators, dish-alignment help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!