WeTek or Medi@link or anything else

There are 42 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 3,549 times. The last Post () by kabise.

• Hi All

I'm new to all of this, however I've decided to go for one of these two boxes <£100. However, feel free to recommend an alternative, stating your reasons on why I should consider your option.

Would the WeTek have a bigger learning curve than the Medi@link?

Thanks

• WeTek - Android (CyanogenMOD, Android TV, AOSP, AOKP ROMs)/ OpenELEC / Ubuntu / Enigma 2 (Work in progress)

Medi@link I really dont know anything about it nor I have it.

WeTek Play I have and it works like real small PC with many features at both, Android and OpenELEC, like Multimedia, IPTV, DVB and they have excellent support

Edited once, last by xbmcflix ().

• Wetek for me, loads going on with this box at the moment

Do you think this box is fine for the beginner, or should I be looking at something like the Octagon SF8 which has been around for much longer and has more support?

• If your going for an octagon just get a vu zero faster box

I did have a look at that but it was just over £100 at WOS, whereas the WeTek is cheaper by quite a fair bit. Do you have a WeTek? If not, would you consider one if you were in the market looking for a new box with my budget?

- - - Updated - - -

I did also look at the TM Nano SE, has anyone got experience with those?

• I bought one as yet not had a chance to play with it but they are getting a good write up , i only.pointed the vu out incase you go the satellite Route a nano se is also good but vu is better as you have the blackhole option also and its smaller and smarter than the nano se , but if you still need to learn either id say wetek is worth a try really depends if you want a more traditional satellite box everyone can use or a gizmo for your self

Edited once, last by stevejo ().

• Wetek is not for a beginner, nor would we recommend it for anyone wanting a satellite receiver as a PVR. If you want an XBMC box go for it, but not if you want a dedicated satellite receiver.

Wetek lacks all Enigma 2 features, such as EPG, Autobouquets, Autotimers just as start, its in no way a PVR like an Enimga 2 receiver.

For under £100 see the following: -

http://www.world-of-satellite.…vers/Medialink-Ixuss-Zero

http://www.world-of-satellite.…ers/Octagon-SF8-HD-XP1000

http://www.world-of-satellite.…ers/Technomate-TM-Nano-SE

Technomate TM-Nano-SE more or less same spec as a VU+ Zero, its the fastest unit above, so comes down to budget.

world-of-satellite-banner.gif
    Official Sponsor of the OpenViX Team

Official Distributor of Formuler, Edision, GiGaBlue, Mut@nt Technomate, VU+, and many more...

Secure online ordering - Paypal and all major cards accepted - Order online 7 days a week!

PRICE MATCH PROMISE - WE'LL TRY TO MATCH ANY UK PRICE*

*SEEN ANY PRODUCT CHEAPER? CONTACT US AND WE’LL TRY TO MATCH LIKE FOR LIKE!

Edited 3 times, last by world-of-satellite.co.uk ().

• All of that works perfectly in both VDR and tvheadend at WeTek Play, including EPG, timeshift and PVR with remote access to recordings, recording over CIFS, NFS and Samba shares plus IPTV at WeTek Play.

I would say thise stated there are not comparable to WeTek Play in any segment... except that only number that they have higher thank wetek play is price of course
    https://vid.me/oJp9

Btw. There is Enigma 2 comming for WeTek Play with embedded Kodi/XBMC.

Edited 2 times, last by xbmcflix ().

• All of that works perfectly in both VDR and tvheadend at WeTek Play, including EPG, timeshift and PVR with remote access to recordings, recording over CIFS, NFS and Samba shares plus IPTV at WeTek Play.

I would say thise stated there are not comparable to WeTek Play in any segment... except that only number that they have higher thank wetek play is price of course
    https://vid.me/oJp9

Please feel free to post screenshots of 7 DAYS EPG for Astra 28.2, Autotimers, Autobouquets etc... if you can produce these we stand corrected :) Also feel free to post a scanning tutorial for Astra 28.2 using Openelec and TV headend, as the op asked 'Would the WeTek have a bigger learning curve than the Medi@link?', the answer is a massive yes.

Official Distributor of Formuler, Edision, GiGaBlue, Mut@nt Technomate, VU+, and many more...

Secure online ordering - Paypal and all major cards accepted - Order online 7 days a week!

Edited once, last by world-of-satellite.co.uk ().

• Please feel free to post screenshots of 7 DAYS EPG for Astra 28.2, Autotimers, Autobouquets etc... if you can produce these we stand corrected :) Also feel free to post a scanning tutorial for Astra 28.2 using Openelec and TV headend, as the op asked 'Would the WeTek have a bigger learning curve than the Medi@link?', the answer is a massive yes.

As i said enigma 2 comming at Wetek Play so at end 4 OS including android, openelec, ubuntu and enigma 2, variety of choices

• As i said enigma 2 comming at Wetek Play so at end 4 OS including android, openelec, ubuntu and enigma 2, variety of choices

Ok, whatevever you say..... Wetek hardware will never run Enigma 2 as its supposed to be run.

Don't get me wrong, Wetek is a superb little box for Android, XBMC etc..., but it should not be classed as a replacement for a broadcom powered Engima 2 receiver and in our opinion not suitable for new users looking for a satellite receiver.

• I would say at the moment the wetek is more for people who like messing about with set to boxes, If you want a satbox you can just flash with an image and watch TV got for a proper sat box, if you dont watch much tv and spend most of your time faffing about get a wetek

• personnaly im looking foward to a wetek, of course one of the site sponser is going to push theres boxes its only right,
    but theres lots of other arguments of course, ie the types of files it plays and the on demand stuff,come on enigma2 has never played on demand right,android does,netfix etc, android has a bigger fan base than enigma2,

and so more development

• personnaly im looking foward to a wetek, of course one of the site sponser is going to push theres boxes its only right,
    but theres lots of other arguments of course, ie the types of files it plays and the on demand stuff,come on enigma2 has never played on demand right,android does,netfix etc, android has a bigger fan base than enigma2,

and so more development

Think you're missing the question in the 1st post. It's not about pushing, its about whats suits the users needs, we've actually been in conversation with Wetek regards selling their products, but in the op's case we wouldn't recommend a Wetek. Bottom line is it makes no difference to us what the op purchases, but we feel it should be made clear the Wetek is not a replacement for a dedicated receiver and should not be sold or marketed in that fashion.

• This is going to be one of the biggest downfalls for sat boxes and e2 nothing has worked for long enough as you say , it has become very limited bbc iplayer gave me a major headache with the wife , im a big fan of both android and e2 , but i can see the tide starting to turn both price and flexibility of a box like wetek are going to slowly dominate the market , and all they have to do is bump up the storage and cpu on them and itll be a real rival , e2 devs are going to have to pull out the stops and get a finger out to compete or consider doom

• This is going to be one of the biggest downfalls for sat boxes and e2 nothing has worked for long enough as you say , it has become very limited bbc iplayer gave me a major headache with the wife , im a big fan of both android and e2 , but i can see the tide starting to turn both price and flexibility of a box like wetek are going to slowly dominate the market , and all they have to do is bump up the storage and cpu on them and itll be a real rival , e2 devs are going to have to pull out the stops and get a finger out to compete or consider doom

Do you actually own Wetek and have you actually tried to setup one as a satellite receiver? If not you are more than welcome to come to our warehouse and have a play. Have you tried satellite scanning using OpenELEC and TVHeadend? Anyone participating in this thread and recommending them as a receiver able to post a noobs guide how to does this simply? ;)

We'd tried and tested countless receivers, operating systems, firmwares.... no other current sytem has the functionality and ease of use like Enigma 2, for anyone who wants a dedicated receiver/PVR.

Like we've already said in this post the current Wetek play is great for XMBC/Kodi, OpenELEC, Android etc...., but in no way would we sell or market it as a dedicated receiver replacement, not with the current available firmware.

Edited 2 times, last by world-of-satellite.co.uk ().

• Do you actually own Wetek and have you actually tried to setup one as a satellite receiver? If not you are more than welcome to come to our warehouse and have a play. Have you tried satellite scanning using OpenELEC and TVHeadend? Anyone participating in this thread able to post a noobs guide how to does this simply? ;)

We'd tried and tested countless receivers, operating systems, firmwares.... no other current sytem has the functionality and ease of use like Enigma 2, for anyone who wants a dedicated receiver/PVR.

Like we've already said in this post the current Wetek play is great for XMBC/Kodi, OpenELEC, Android etc...., but in no way would we sell or market it as a dedicated receiver replacement.

I got my Wetek last Thursday , still to find time to continue setting it up , Ive done plenty reading as always before I buy and thus far the functionality looks great and as everyone is aware android has a vast market and very flexible for app games and now oscam and tv ,I by no means say this is a replacement for a satellite box but e2 has gone stagnant so far as plugins etc ok there is kodi now ,but how long did we have nothing for , As stated I see the tide turning towards android and android hardware will progress with it , This isnt a pop at you so dont take it personally WOS is the best supplier for price and service of satellite equipment and I always use you , This is only the way i see things going in the future as we all know the net is closing for satellite and the ability to use even paid subs in receivers so the mix where it was all satellite is starting to dilute and now its satellite /iptv .Having a box that can do almost everything for you will eventually dominate the market and thus e2 needs to progress

• Having a box that can do almost everything for you will eventually dominate the market and thus e2 needs to progress

We've been looking for this but there's currently nothing out there that will do everything.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!