Tutorial - Using your VU+ as nfs server to second receiver

There are 4 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 10,855 times. The last Post () by Daddy Bear.

• Official Post

I have setup my vu= solo as an nfs server so my kids can record to & watch my recordings on their dm500 that i have stored on my external hdd connected to the vu+ solo.
    Here is how to set it up for anyone who wants to do the same.
    Most VU+ Images have the nfs option installed if not you should be able to download it via your images plugin panel, if not i have attached it below. (sorry could not find uno version)

Step1- Setting up the VU+

First enable the service on your VU+

The NFS server share configuration is located at /etc/exports. This is a simple file... edit it using DCC or whatever you use for ftp.
    The contents of my file is as follows:

Code
    [COLOR='#FF0000']/media/hdd/[/COLOR] [COLOR='#00FF00']192.168.x.x/24[/COLOR][COLOR='#00FFFF'](rw,soft,upd,nolock)[/COLOR]

/media/hdd/ = location shared out

192.168.x.x/24 = network subnet to make share available to. This is using network authentication rather than user authentication - i.e. as long as it comes from that network, it is trusted.
    You will need to change this based on the LAN subnet address you have set up... 192.168.x.x/24 (/24 is another way of saying 255.255.255.0 in networking) would be a common alternative for home networks.
    (rw,soft,upd,nolock) - note no space between network address and bracket... rw means read/write enabled, the options listed work well

Once the exports file is set up, reboot the receiver to be sure the changes take effect.

NFS should now be running and sharing out /media/hdd over NFS

Step 2 - Setting up the Second Receiver

Go to your images mount manager to add the new nfs mount

Enter the IP of the NFS Server/VU Box. For the share path, enter /media/hdd/ (or whatever path you shared in the /etc/exports file above)
    The local Dir should not require changing. Once you have entered the info press the mount button (usually green) and you should get the message it has mounted sucssessfully.

Now you should be able to access the nfs share via your images movie player under hdd.

Movie playback is perfect

Now you might get some peace & quiet during the school holidays.

Enjoy it
    Ten Below

• Thanks for another awesome tutorial Ten Below

I'm trying to set this up but when I ftp to my duo there is no such file/directory as /etc/export.

I am running vix 2.3 and went into the network menu and started NFS server and enabled autostart but still cant see /etc/export in filezilla.

Any ideas?

Cheers

• I'm trying this out on an old DM500 i had in the attic mate

The movies on my Vu+ are stored in /media/hdd/movie

I changed the /etc/exports file to: /media/hdd/ 192.168.1.22/24(rw,soft,upd,nolock)

The mount manager settings on my dreambox are as follows:

IP: 192.168.1.17
    Dir: /media/hdd/
    Local Dir: /mnt (it was preset to this)
    options: rw.soft.udp.nolock

automount: ticked

When i press the green button to mount it says "mount failed"

VU+ IP = 192.168.1.17
    dreambox IP + 192.168.1.22

Are my settings wrong mate?

Hope you can help

Thanks again

• master G

Added the Label Article

VU+ ULTIMO PVR Ready Linux Enigma2 Receiver Full HD 1080p

Download VUPlus Images and Enigma2 Team Support from Black Hole, OpenATV, OpenBH, Open Black Hole, OpenDroid, OpenESi, OpenHDF, OpenLD, OpenPLi, OpenSPA, OpenViX, Open Vision, PKT Hyperion, PurE2, SatDreamGR, VTi.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!