Big BT Sport expansion on the way

There are 11 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,402 times. The last Post () by mahrkpat.

• Official Post

608231137b12b8d.jpg

BT Sport is preparing for a much bigger offering from the next football season. Along with the high-profile Champions League football rights grab, it has obtained additional Ofcom licences for extra channels, plus an Ultra HD channel.

Licences have been issued by Ofcom for BT Sport Extra 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 (HD) alongside an Ultra HD BT Sport service.

New licences do not always mean an immediate launch of new services, but provide the regulatory green light for new channels to be distributed on digital TV platforms.

BT Sport is expected to announce details of its expanded football coverage for the 2015/16 season in the coming weeks. It has not yet publicly announced any 4K/UHD service launch date.

Ultra HD (UHD) or 4K TV is seen as the next big thing among pay TV operators, who have previously failed to gather much interest in 3D TV. Satellite and internet platforms are seen as being the most suitable for UHD transmissions at the present time, and BT Sport's existing distribution focuses on these platforms, with the BT TV service available through BT internet connections and BT Sport on Sky using satellite transponder capacity, with tests recently observed thought to be connected with these additional BT Sport services.

On Freeview, BT Sport has launched a placeholder for a Showcase channel, available on channel 59 in some locations, which is expected to provide free-to-air samples of BT's output from the next football season. It currently plans to end distribution of BT Sport 1 over the air, following migration of subscribers to internet streams of its sports channels. BT Sport 2 via terrestrial TV was axed earlier this year, with affected subscribers offered a free Chromecast to retain access to BT Sport in areas where broadband speeds are insufficient for the full BT TV service.

BT Sport celebrates its second anniversary this summer. The pay TV operation has become the first long-term competitor to Sky Sports, securing Premier League football for another three years earlier this year, on top of its first three year deal that started in August 2013 - in stark contrast to the relatively short-lived competition provided by Setanta Sports and ESPN - the latter now part of BT Sport in the UK.

• Official Post

im assuming the free bt sports package is coming to an end for internet subscribers ,,,,,,,,has there been any talk of the cost of the new package. i only use it for the moto gp coverage......

There has been no formal announcement as of yet, but i think it is fair to assume that our current free status with the broadband will be going

• Official Post

Just renewed my contract with them last week and they never told me it was ending soon as they still included it in my 12 mths contract.Bit of a Buggar if they do stop it

We are in same boat, just renewed for a further 12 months not so long ago, i would assume the 'contract' is there to protect both parties so we may well be ok for the next year

• Still the same package on offer from set4nta , nothing about extra channels/ loss of existing ones

Subscribe to Setanta on satellite and enjoy five channels of premium sporting content: Setanta Ireland, Setanta Sports 1, BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and ESPN.

• Official Post

An update has been posted on BitterWallet.com

8th June, 4.26pm

BT’s broadband customers have been getting BT Sport with no extra charge, but that looks like it is all about to change, with a £5 fee set to be introduced.

Of course, this is BT trying to claw back some money after throwing it around for football rights. Sky, of course, coughed up £1.4bn for Premier League rights, which saw BT throwing £320 million per season, at it.

Plans have been leaked and it looks like BT’s customers will soon have to pay a little extra, which is particularly galling if you consider that some of the money will end up in Robbie Savage’s pocket – is there no justice in the world?

It isn’t clear if this money will be a blanket charge for all those wanting to watch BT Sports, or whether it’ll be for a premium service that includes the UEFA Champions League and Europa League matches, which of course, BT won the rights for last year.

BT aren’t commenting on the rumours, saying that they will be revealing their plans “in due course”. That means they definitely want to announce something, and with money to make back, it looks like a price rise for those who want in.

http://www.bitterwallet.com/bt-sport-no-longer-free/85831?

• Just an update guys.Don't know if it has been posted.Delete if it has.Got my email off BT today asking if I wanted to keep my package which will automatically update and from August 1st I will pay a fiver for exclusive coverage of the Champions leaugue and the Europa league unless I downgrade which will mean It's free as I'm a BT broadband customer but I will only get BT sport 1(BT Sport lite they call it)Ah well.I suppose a fiver is o.k.

• Official Post

Just an update guys.Don't know if it has been posted.Delete if it has.Got my email off BT today asking if I wanted to keep my package which will automatically update and from August 1st I will pay a fiver for exclusive coverage of the Champions leaugue and the Europa league unless I downgrade which will mean It's free as I'm a BT broadband customer but I will only get BT sport 1(BT Sport lite they call it)Ah well.I suppose a fiver is o.k.

Just ordered mine, only a fiver and a lot of football for the money, still free until August 1st tho

It did not say anything about HD though which has me puzzled, was already paying a couple of quid for that so hopefully that is included in the fiver

• update

June 9, 2015

BT has confirmed that all 351 matches from the UEFA Champions League and Europa League next season will be free for customers who take BT TV.

These customers will be able to receive the full BT Sport pack – BT Sport 1 and 2, BT Sport ESPN and the new BT Sport Europe channel which launches on August 1st.

BT broadband customers who choose to watch on their Sky service will be able to add the sports pack for £5 (€6.8) a month.

BT will also be launching a BT Sport Ultra HD channel in August – pricing for which has yet to be revealed.

Paolo Pescatore, Director, Multiplay and Video at CCS Insight, described the initiative as “a smart move” which makes perfect sense. “The company is using the success of BT Sport to turn around the fortunes of its BT TV service. Until now there has been a disconnect between BT Sport and BT TV, leaving no incentive for BT broadband subscribers to sign up to BT TV,” he noted.

“It’s a potentially lucrative package, with Champions League, Europa league and many of the European domestic leagues being offered for free as part of BT TV, or just £5 more for existing BT broadband customers. While still offering BT Sport 1 for free to broadband subscribers. That’s great value! Also, the launch of new interactive features underlines the importance of using its extensive network assets to offer users a unique and personal experience, which will allow it to continue differentiating its offering over rival channels,” he advised.

“Furthermore, the new BT Sport Showcase channel on Freeview will be key in reaching the masses and enticing people to sign up to BT’s services. Being one of the first to launch 4K in the UK will be quite an accolade for the company. More so given that other providers such as BBC and Sky have traditionally been the first to launch new features/services. Though this might be significant, users might need to fork out more money in order to watch this new channel such as buying a new TV and upgrading their broadband line,” he warned.

“These wealth of announcements demonstrate BT’s clear appetite to be a credible player in the UK. It has raised the stakes and Sky will need to respond. Within a short period of time, BT has proved to be highly disruptive and we expect the company to continue innovating and challenge Sky for access to more premium sports content. By keeping sport affordable, BT is seeking to retain and acquire new subscribers. It represents a statement of intent and underlines the scale and ambition to be a leading media and telecoms provider in the UK,” he concluded.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!