SKY force Microsoft to change SKYPE name

There are 6 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 868 times. The last Post () by TH3-J0K3R.

• Official Post

1d3be1290a9ad08.png

An EU court has found that the Skype logo can be confused with Sky, in a ruling delivered earlier Tuesday, handing a victory to the pan-European pay TV broadcaster.

The EU General Court was delivering its verdict following complaint brought by Skype, which was refused a trademark by the EU Trade Mark and designs registry OHIM.

The issue has resulted in a long-running legal dispute between the two organisations.

In its verdict, the Court said:

"that the pronunciation of the vowel "y" is no shorter in the word "skype" than it is in the word "sky". In addition, the word "sky", part of the basic vocabulary of the English language, remains clearly identifiable in the word "skype." Also, the element "sky" in the word "skype" can perfectly well be identified by the relevant public, even if the remaining element "pe" has no specific meaning.

The court also found that the actual logo that contains the word 'skype' is "surrounded by a jagged border in the shape of a cloud or a bubble, which would further increase the likelihood of the element "sky" being recognized within the word element 'skype', because clouds are to be found "in the sky" and thus may readily be associated with the word 'sky'."

Skype, which is now owned by Microsoft can now appeal the ruling, or else find a new name for the internet video and voice calling service...

Source : http://www.a516digital.com/201…be-confused-with-sky.html

• always called it Sky-pipe maself lolz :P

PM for support 0nly with a Link to Y0ur
    P05t w1Th Wat5 up 0r 155u3 thaT5
    B33N ....... P05T3D

0D3R PATCH3D 3H ;)
    much <3 th0ugh in d0 a5 Ab0v3
    1n Wh3n 533N r3plY n PM n 58PP0rt G1v3n ;)

"I'm against Piracey so please DONT ATTACK SHIPS"
    :p

• hope we outa EU soon in UK

B33N ....... P05T3D

0D3R PATCH3D 3H ;)

• please please do not turn this into a political debate , i was referring to the logo and its non importance.

neer knew i was i was agreen with you its all non importance the EU LAW'S n RULES :) aint working or me or sky-pipe

B33N ....... P05T3D

0D3R PATCH3D 3H ;)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!