New box needed

There are 14 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,457 times. The last Post () by doo_dah.

• Hi all,

I'm a novice with this stuff so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm based in West Ireland and I'd like a sat receiver but have no idea what to get - internet is pretty terrible where I am (3G USB dongle) so I can't stream.

I just want a box that will allow me to record/watch the odd football match.

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Edited once, last by doo_dah ().

• You need to give a lot more information, how much do you want to spend, how much do you know about linux boxes? there are so many out there now and with your poor internet it may be a no go. have you read any of the other posts on here?

• Thanks for replying.

- Budget: I was hoping that I wouldn't have to spend more than 250 euros.
    - I'm familiar with Linux.
    - I've read a few posts on here saying 3G dongle's are not good enough - broadband is required.

So it's not looking like a goer. Oh well :(

• ok right 250 euro so about 170 quid in uk cash or real money backinh up yer euro , punt was better i know lol,

well 3G works ok if i was yu i would get a sim that does 3G in yer area who eva it is thats best in get a 3G
    router that takes yer 3g in turns it into wifi whilst giviny u a cat5 to yer stb

and for your moneys i would say buy a VU+ Zero this will get you what you want n also yet 3G modem wifi router
    hope it helps but if you wanna know more if 3G is piss poor like i know it is in sticks south armagh
    thers always a way with dialup anah ;)

PM for support 0nly with a Link to Y0ur
    P05t w1Th Wat5 up 0r 155u3 thaT5
    B33N ....... P05T3D

0D3R PATCH3D 3H ;)
    much <3 th0ugh in d0 a5 Ab0v3
    1n Wh3n 533N r3plY n PM n 58PP0rt G1v3n ;)

"I'm against Piracey so please DONT ATTACK SHIPS"
    :p

• Thanks Honcho, I've had a read about the VU+ Zero and it sounds good. I have Huawei E5220 3G dongle (3 network).

I've found this shop in ireland. There is an option to add a "VU+ WIFI 300mb/s" for 30 Euro. I'm guessing that this enables the VU+ Zero box to connect direct to Wifi (without having to buy a router?).

Also, the shop can preinstall 'images' - what would you recommend?

Edited 2 times, last by doo_dah ().

• have used that shop before, very good service,
    and with the sterling euro exchange rate expensive for u at the moment, you will get better value buying in euro,
    there are also a few other online shops in ireland/euro

I've found this shop in ireland. There is an option to add a "VU+ WIFI 300mb/s" for 30 Euro. I'm guessing that this enables the VU+ Zero box to connect direct to Wifi (without having to buy a router?).

Also, the shop can preinstall 'images' - what would you recommend?[/QUOTE]

• You should get a box with twin tuner, the edison brand do a nice box, Edision Optimuss OS1+ Plus Linux HD Sat Receiver inkl. Wlan-Stick. Images, for the vu people like the vix a lot. I like BH. VU boxes will run any image. Openatv is very good as well.

• That is a bundle deal, wifi usb dongle included.
    They are a good receiver but the wifi usb will use up one of your two usb inputs and will probably not be able to close front flap if you have it inserted in the front. You may want to use the rear usb for a hdd if you'd like to record etc.
    Homeplugs or a lan cable from your router will give good if not better results than a wifi usb and will free up your usb input.

• I finally received the Golden Interstar LX2 XPEED box. The installed image froze on me on startup so installed OpenATV 5.1. I would like to install oscam - could someone point me in the right direction on how to do this? I've also looked at installing cccam but this involved installing TSPanel which looked a bit tricky. To be honest I have searched for info without much success, I have found a lot of links to ipk files but I've no idea what will work with my receiver/OpenATV5.1.

• Official Post

I finally received the Golden Interstar LX2 XPEED box. The installed image froze on me on startup so installed OpenATV 5.1. I would like to install oscam - could someone point me in the right direction on how to do this? I've also looked at installing cccam but this involved installing TSPanel which looked a bit tricky. To be honest I have searched for info without much success, I have found a lot of links to ipk files but I've no idea what will work with my receiver/OpenATV5.1.

You bought a good box mate. In my opinion xpeed lx range has the best enigma2 remote control anyway...
    You wont install oscam without learning how to install ipk files. Im not going to spoon feed you as there is a wealth of info about this already.
    For openATV you need to install the hidden softcam feed, then their own version of oscam ymod is rock solid.
    I have attached the ipk for the said feed.
    You will also need to read how you convert n/c lines to oscam. Again there is tools instructions already on here.
    Good luck

• I installed the ipk from a USB stick in OpenATV - I'll have a look on here to see if I can find more info on what to do next (convert lines etc).

Thanks for the help.

• Misk, I'm happy with it, it's pretty fast - although I don't have any other box to compare to. I haven't used it that much as I've been busy but so far I'm impressed with it.

jenseneverest : I couldn't get the attached ipk to install on OpenATV5.1. I found another version which installed OK - I see a 'SoftCam' menu option after pressing the Blue button.

• I've installed OpenATV on LX2 but I can't record anything on the internal HDD. I see a message box with "Disk Full?". The internal drive isn't full so I'm guessing it's a permissions issue?

Is it possible to record to the internal HDD - do I need to create a separate partition?

Also, can anyone recommend a decent TV guide plugin ? I'm not a fan of the built in EPG.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!