new box - VU+Solo2, Zgemma 2s or another?

There are 5 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,146 times. The last Post () by ekkostar.

• Hi, I'm new to satellite receivers and am wondering which should be my first box. I'd like to have a twin tuner to receive the usual UK Sky channels (and on which to have a family friendly Sky-type epg) and, ideally, I'd like to be able to run iptv and plex (and possibly kodi) on the same box; essentially, I'd like one very fast and reliable box to replace a growing number of different boxes under the TV which are beginning to annoy my wife. I have looked at the Zgemma 2s and the VU+Solo2 and believe the latter may be the better option for me of the two, but, budget-wise, I would be happy to spend more if needed. All advice would be extremely welcome, thank you.

• Thanks for the reply. Of the two I mentioned, the VU+Sol2 would be my preference but I could increase the budget if needed into, say, VU+Duo2 territory.

• Official Post

Thanks for the reply. Of the two I mentioned, the VU+Sol2 would be my preference but I could increase the budget if needed into, say, VU+Duo2 territory.

If you going to spend duo2 money, you may as well buy the new solo4k. At least it is future proof.

• Thanks for your help. I've decided that I'll wait a short while until the VU+Solo4 has been out a few weeks and then make a decision between it and the VU+Duo2 according to the price differential.

• That's probably the most sensible approach although the question going round at the moment is 'does anyone really need a S4K?'

At £399 it's also a bit pricey. It can be had for £50 cheaper if you are European based and there is no real justifiable reason for the current UK price difference.

The prices are likely to head south in the not too distant future.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!