A good linux/kodi compilation guide for arm devices

• I am hoping there is someone on this forum that can help as there seems to be alot of interest in Linux based kodi on arm devices and very little support available. The issue is that the live tv side of android boxes is lacking usability which can be fixed by tvheadend, unfortunately kodi for android doesn't support the backend.

I have made a start on learning the basics of Linux but so far it is all trial and error which is slow. I will be happy to help someone create / test a guide. Below are the steps I assume are needed but I do not know the code / programmes needed for each.

1. Create sd card that will boot a "persistent" Linux based system with the ability to connect to a network via ethernet and have SSH enabled. This will probably involve using the files in the official firmware release but it's unclear how this is achieved. (kodibuntu or ember maybe as they would be a good starting point, not openelec as the commands / development is limited)
    2. Use SSH to compile a kernel based on the one in android settings which will enable WiFi etc.
    3. Install/update kodi and have the system boot straight into it
    4. Install/configure tvheadend / oscam (this part has plenty of support)

This may be over simplified but I doubt by much, the problem is that most people have no Linux knowledge and nearly all how-to's take it for granted that they do. There are some systems that have Linux like wetek or venz k1 using the vitmod openelec but everything seems quite specific and not aimed at creating a universal way of getting Linux to run on arm devices generally.

Any advice would be good but a universal "dummies" guide would be invaluable to alot of people who have already bought an arm box.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!