Which linux box?

There are 4 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 965 times. The last Post () by SendoBG.

• Hi,

I have finally decided to take the plunge and invest in a Linux box (I currently have a technomate 5402 and fancy upgrading)

I have one feed from a motorised dish and one feed from a fixed dish (28e)

At a pinch my budget can stretch to a Duo2 but was wondering if you guys think its worth it in comparison to say the solo2 , the xtrend 8000 / 10000 or the mutant HD 2400

I realise it will probably come down to personal preference but in your opinion what does the Duo2 offer for the extra £££'s in comparison to the others. (I only really need 2 tuners)

Cheers
    Nutty

• duo2 is nice to have if you think you'll expand tuners in the future.
    Front screen is a bit of a gimmick in my opinion though.
    Solo2 is brilliant but limited due to fixed onboard tuners (need usb tuners if you want to expand and good quality ones cost the same/more than modular ones).
    I've had a play with the xtrend 8000 and is a great machine also (easily upgradable tuner wise) but no blackhole for anything other than VU.
    No experience with the mutant.
    Out of the three i've had experience with, I thing the xtrend pips it for me at the moment as the price is very good from our sponsor (currently running vix on my solo2/duo2 anyway so blackhole isn't a must for me anymore, that said, it is nice to have the option to avail of all images.)
    The solo2 is better value than the duo2 if your choosing vu brand and are satisfied with two sat tuners.

• for your first linux box i wud def go with vu solo2 i have 3 at home all running flawlessly twin tuners openvix and bluehd and super fast reaction times i had vu duo which had lower memory than solo2 and was a nightmare slow and sluggish, i wud recommend vu solo2 before any other cheers :linuxsat:

• Definitely would agree with the previous posts on the Solo2.I have been running mine with the same setup as you for just over 2 years and it has ran flawlessly.Loads of support from all the image developers and with a hardrive fitted you have plenty of recording options.I use Blackhole on the main but have have Openpli with a nice S*y skin on multiboot if I fancy a change now and again.No brainer at just over £200 at the moment from the sponsor.You'll not regret it!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!