ethernet cable quality !!

There are 7 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 576 times. The last Post () by kemestri.

• just asking how important is the quality of the ethernet cable connecting from router to server.
    my router is 30 metres from the server.
    when i log onto the server using winscp or putty takes approx 15 secs to log on. (the message "host is not communicating for more than 15secs, still waiting. warning aborting the operation")
    and then just logs on before aborting, so taking approx. 15secs.

i have tried a shorter ethernet cable (20m using a more direct route thru the lounge) but the timing is the same.

the server seems to work ok within the house, so, is it important that it takes a long time to log on?

• just asking how important is the quality of the ethernet cable connecting from router to server.
    my router is 30 metres from the server.
    when i log onto the server using winscp or putty takes approx 15 secs to log on. (the message "host is not communicating for more than 15secs, still waiting. warning aborting the operation")
    and then just logs on before aborting, so taking approx. 15secs.

i have tried a shorter ethernet cable (20m using a more direct route thru the lounge) but the timing is the same.

the server seems to work ok within the house, so, is it important that it takes a long time to log on?

You should be able to run a 100m length without degradation...sounds like something else is the issue...

open a terminal and ping from the server to the router and then do similar from another pc/device to the server...

is the response time similar? (and how many ms is it?)

If it works ok around the house and the logon is the only issue, it may just be the box!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!