Want to Set up linux pc server need newbie info!

There are 36 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,207 times. The last Post () by master G.

• Hi guys i am thinking of setting up a linux based server, can anybody point me in the right direction in terms of what things i would need to do this, i have a spare pc which i can use and a internet connection nearby. Can someone recommend a good basic tutorial, i have read quite a few on hear and a few other places but i think i must be thick or something(lol), i have a basic understanding of the linux file system with setting up my own dreambox, any help would be great guys.

• I am open to suggestions on Debian or Ubuntu just after which is the easiest to set up, as i am a newbie most of the techie terms are a bit double dutch at the moment, which of all the EMUS are the easiest and most secure to set up, by the way this site is the best i have come across by a country mile, just wish the image verification would go away.

• Ubuntu is best for those not too familiar with linux. It is easy to set up, and fast to install. I use Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat), and there is an easy install script to get your server up and running. I have used various flavours of linux over the years, and Ubuntu is definitely the most user friendly, especially if you have had little linux experience. As Glenviewjf said, once you have it set up, it is really easy to maintain, infact I have mine on a Netbook with the lid closed, and access it from a windows PC.

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• look for ten belows debian cccam auto instal !
    it took me three weeks to set up my server about a year ago ! i knew absolutely nothing about the subject so dont worry just dive in mate !
    most people can have it up and running in a couple of hours though ! i am completely new to computers ! joint10

the best pc to use is older ones ! there are plenty of people here willing to lend a hand if y6u get stuck ! GO FOR IT !

:firework:

RIK

78cm dish on tm2300 metal gear motor + 1m Orb with tm2300 + 1.8m Channel Master on H-H floor mount + 80cm ISS with TM2300 AND Inverto Black LNB,inverto Unicable QUDL 42 LNB,- Global invacom Dscc LNB,- Triax KA LNB, - Yuri LNBF C Band YLF-CDP16C

• Thanks guys just for taking the the time to answer my questions, Once i get boxkey what do i do to install on linux server and can you use a 3g dongle. Also how many people can you share with,would i need a smargo reader or anything else, sorry for all these questions.

• Official Post

If you use oscam you wont need to convert any boxkey, it will read it for you.

HOW TO - CCcam+Oscam Automated Installation for Ubuntu

Stability on a 3G network would`nt be great to run a server on, you would need a compatable router for the dongle.

The amount of shares will depend on the card you have, how its over clocked and how you look after your server.

You will need a smargo or simular card reader.

• what i would suggest is that you dont start giving shares to everyone just for the fun of it most people do at first but make sure you get a good package when you are exchanging clines
    bit of advice that i learnt myself the hard way in your cccam config make sure you write down what is on the cline also the persons msn or email in case you even need to get in contact as some forums keep getting shut down heres an example of what i mean##
    F: myfriend myshare 2 0 0 { 0:0:2 } { } { }myfriend.homelinux.com#digiturk,upc,myfriend@hotmail.com#
    C: frommyfriend.homelinux.com 12000 myfriend somesite no { 0:0:2 }

• Thanks, how many can you share with using this set up without glitzing etc,sorry about the spelling been at it since 7 this morning, only found this great site a few hours ago(lol).Would i need a DNS Updater and a fixed ip, going to spend the next few hours reading tutorials so i am not driving you lot mad.

• When you have all the packages you need then there is no need to add any more peers. If your server is not on the same machine as your receiver, then your receiver will be one hop away, so you will need peers who are offering you reshares if you want to view them packages. There is always the option of putting one or two of your shares on the receiver rather than the server if you want to maximise your own viewing potential. If you are exchanging shares with people you hardly know, then take care as there are a lot of fakers out there. 10 peers might even be enough, so it depends on how you work things. I treat my server like I would treat my tropical fish. I check it about 3 times a day, get rid of dead ones and replace them, and about once every 3 days, I will just watch the server for about an hour to see how everything is getting on!

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• Hi guys been doing a lot of reading and now i am bit more confused, if your only going to share with your friends would that be hop 1, do you leave sly card in smargo reader all the time?

• Hi guys been doing a lot of reading and now i am bit more confused, if your only going to share with your friends would that be hop 1, do you leave sly card in smargo reader all the time?

Yes..if you're just sharing with friends they will be your hop 1 and yes...you need to have the card in the reader at all times!

• That sounds alright but out of Curiosity how do these people who charge you a monthly fee are able to provide 100,s of clines.

20-30 is conservative ;) I was playing safe lol

They would use optimised servers and likely have multiple cards load balanced etc etc...

They also don't really care about quality so drop outs and freezing would be the norm!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!