Linux Receiver Upgrade

There are 11 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,441 times. The last Post () by shapez.

• Hi Folks,

This is my current setup.

1. Amiko Alien 2 Triple Tuner (PKT Image installed)
    2. Edision OS MINI 2x DVB-S/S2 (OpenATV image installed)

A family member is looking for a new box and I am considering giving them the Amiko Alien and upgrading to a new box.

Here is what I have in mind.
    Xtrend-ET8000-2x-DVB-S2
    Gigablue-HD-Ultra-UE-2x-DVB-S-S2

Now, the dilemma...
    Looking at the specs the Xtrend edges all the boxes in the same price bracket.
    Then I look at the Edision OS Mini and it's nearly half the price of the Xtrend and the one I have does the job perfect. Watch & Record when I want. No fancy stuff.

Can anyone give me any reason why I should or should not go with the Xtrend/Gigablue over another Edision OS Mini?
    In what way would the Xtrend be superior or benefit me over my current setup?

Any suggestions, advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• Apologies.

I'm not too worried about fitting a hard drive into it.

Just really looking to see if I am going to see a major difference from what I already have.

Edited once, last by shapez: Forum rules adjustment ().

Then I look at the Edision OS Mini and it's nearly half the price of the Xtrend and the one I have does the job perfect. Watch & Record when I want. No fancy stuff.

Can anyone give me any reason why I should or should not go with the Xtrend/Gigablue over another Edision OS Mini?
    In what way would the Xtrend be superior or benefit me over my current setup?

Its like owning a focus and upgrading to a mondeo.
    Both will do exactly the same thing, get you from A to B but you may get a little bit more speed and a couple of extras on the mondeo v's the focus.
    If your only interested in getting from A to B, go with your current setup.
    Both the receivers you mentioned have pluggable tuners , can accomodate an internal hdd and the xtrend has a fast processor, that said, your edision looks like a great spec'd machine.
    Only you can really decide weather the bells and whistles are worth the extra cost.

• Its like owning a focus and upgrading to a mondeo.
    Both will do exactly the same thing, get you from A to B but you may get a little bit more speed and a couple of extras on the mondeo v's the focus.
    If your only interested in getting from A to B, go with your current setup.
    Both the receivers you mentioned have pluggable tuners , can accomodate an internal hdd and the xtrend has a fast processor, that said, your edision looks like a great spec'd machine.
    Only you can really decide weather the bells and whistles are worth the extra cost.

Many thanks for the analogy. Makes perfect sense.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Amiko and Edision have a sh4 and mips chip types respectively. I have read lots of pros & cons to both. So naturally I ended up buying both. I'm struggling to see what the difference is since I only want to get from A to B. Without turbo chargers, cruise control, 22's, etc. :)
    i am leaning towards the Edision and my reasons are, more support available than Amiko. More polished and stable images/themes (Rendering the box more user friendly).

@ladder49 - Been honest. I think I need to move it from the spare room to the main viewing room. I like the Edision (for the reasons listed above). The OS Mini seems to be looked down upon for some reason. I guess because you have a lot of superior models in the same brand. But, I have to say for an entry level Linux receiver, it's a small box that packs a big punch.

Thanks again for replies. I have a feeling I will purchase another Edision OS Mini (Dual Tuner). Unless.... there are more persuasive recommendations. :)

The OS Mini seems to be looked down upon for some reason. I guess because you have a lot of superior models in the same brand

I wouldn't think it's looked down upon at all.
    It just a relatively new receiver and think it will do really well.
    It's bigger brother (optimuss os3+) is virtually identical as the technomate nano 3t (which is highly regarded) but priced the same (more or less) so people will choose the brand they recognise.
    The os mini has a couple of extras that are not normally available on a receiver in this price range, onboard wifi, bluetooth and universal remote.
    I'm thinking of purchasing one myself to be honest (if I can get it past the wife)

• The os mini has a couple of extras that are not normally available on a receiver in this price range, onboard wifi, bluetooth and universal remote.

This may vary from user to user, router location, etc. but I couldn't rely on the built-in wifi. I am resorted to using the home-plugs for web access.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!