Network recording issue

There are 5 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,326 times. The last Post () by sh500.

• Hi all,

I'm having issues recording from my Vu+ boxes over my LAN,

I have a Duo downstairs and an Ultimo upstairs, both hard wired into a GigE network,

My NAS upstairs has a shared drive that both machines record to,

My problem is when recording from either box to the NAS, playback of the program jerks, breaks up, freezes etc...

It seems the fault is with the recording itself as rewinding and replaying results in the same issues at the same points...

I'm pretty confident my LAN and NAS are fine as I can stream full HD ISO's over my network from the same NAS without issue!

Does anyone else do this? Any tips?

• It seems that writing to the disk is the problem rather than reading as you said yourself it streams fine over the network from the NAS. Have you tested your write speed to make sure that it is writing fast enough to the NAS to be able to record? You would think so, but I found that when I was recording to NAS (can't do it now 'cause the latest Qbox update seems to have broken CIFS access!) it seemed to be struggling and found that my write speeds to the network drive were low.

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• It seems that writing to the disk is the problem rather than reading as you said yourself it streams fine over the network from the NAS. Have you tested your write speed to make sure that it is writing fast enough to the NAS to be able to record? You would think so, but I found that when I was recording to NAS (can't do it now 'cause the latest Qbox update seems to have broken CIFS access!) it seemed to be struggling and found that my write speeds to the network drive were low.

yea its very weird...sorry I meant to say I had done some testing and was getting 9.5-10.5MB/s to and from the NAS and Ultimo....which is fair enough!

I see BH 1.7.1 is out tomorrow so I'll maybe see if that makes any odds!

• Yes that shoud be plenty enough you'd think. Problem with recording over NAS as opposed to recording to a USB or internal HDD is that the latter would often be decicated, where over the network you might be using the network or shared drive for other things while it is recording. You woudn't notice this while you are viewing your full HD iso's because when you are watching something you would be less likely to be doing anything else! I have found that the recording over LAN is more of a gimmick and I only tried it to see if it works, and it sort of does. You could always go back to recording to a drive attached to your receiver, and mabe set this up as a SAMBA share, this works fine for me:scarf:

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• Yes that shoud be plenty enough you'd think. Problem with recording over NAS as opposed to recording to a USB or internal HDD is that the latter would often be decicated, where over the network you might be using the network or shared drive for other things while it is recording. You woudn't notice this while you are viewing your full HD iso's because when you are watching something you would be less likely to be doing anything else! I have found that the recording over LAN is more of a gimmick and I only tried it to see if it works, and it sort of does. You could always go back to recording to a drive attached to your receiver, and mabe set this up as a SAMBA share, this works fine for me:scarf:

True but every other connected device on the network has a GigE interface and the LAN is fully GigE so theres plenty of bandwidth going round!!

Others are reporting no issues and realistically I should be able to record 2-3 programs on both Vu+ boxes simultaneously without any problems so I'll keep testing in case I've missed something...

Edit - I've went back to recording on individual hard drives and just share between boxes for viewing....disappointing but not the end of the world lol

• I've recently purchased the vu+ duo and setup recording to my Buffalo Linkstation NAS.

To be honest, I was expecting the recordings/playbacks to be jerky but was extremely surprised- a perfect image every time. I thought I would test things to the extremes - two HD channels recording simultaneously. Both recordings played back just fine.

This NAS is used for almost everything possible and at the same time as the two recording, I also had torrent files being downloaded to it and family members streaming music files from it. I am essentially on a 100mb hard wired lan.

This has saved me buying an internal hard drive, a good thing, especially with the current high prices!

VU+ DUO PVR Ready Linux Enigma2 Receiver Full HD 1080p

Download VUPlus Images and Enigma2 Team Support from Black Hole, OpenATV, OpenBH, Open Black Hole, OpenDroid, OpenESi, OpenHDF, OpenLD, OpenPLi, OpenSPA, OpenViX, Open Vision, PKT Hyperion, PurE2, SatDreamGR, VTi.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!