Digital piracy costs Ireland €320m

There are 4 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 988 times. The last Post () by nehaxak.

• Official Post

A report by business advisory firm Grant Thornton estimates that digital piracy has caused the loss of 500 jobs to the Irish economy by 2015. The estimated cost to the economy shows retailers suffered losses of circa €320 million in revenues, while the loss to the Exchequer in VAT receipts could be as much as €71 million as a result of digital piracy.

The report, Illicit Trade 2015-2016: Implications for the Irish economy, measures the cost to the Exchequer at €788 million and right holders at €1.5 billion across a range of sectors including fuel, tobacco, pharmaceuticals, digital and alcohol. Illicit trade is costing the Irish economy €2.3 billion every year.

Brendan Foster, Partner at Grant Thornton, said, “The level of illicit activity reported is quite remarkable. While we welcome the increased efforts to improve legislation and enforcement activity over the past few years, it is vital that all sectors impacted continue to invest in public awareness campaigns to remind consumers that illicit activity is far from being a victimless crime.”

“As leading advisers to the Irish film and media industry, we are concerned that the extent of illegal downloading of content continues to impact the industry heavily and outdated legislation and enforcement activity does little to protect the sector,” he added.

• Its always an Estimation and the loss is to the Exchequer as tho thats a single person. Just a side note, Illicit Activity does NOT mean Illegal. If you can get a service for cheaper than that which is offered by some-all other providers, youre well within your rights to do so.

It is the mark of an intelligent; self educated mind to be able to entertain; and debate a given idea; without fully accepting it:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When I hear people say...

"Ach You cannot please all of the people all of the time"

I think to myself; theres no proof of this; what a cop out:

Because think of all the people you will please just by trying to do it:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you can get a service for cheaper than that which is offered by some-all other providers, youre well within your rights to do so.

Maybe so but if that "other provider" is providing you with copyrighted material without the copyright holders permission, then he's breaking the law.

• Maybe so but if that "other provider" is providing you with copyrighted material without the copyright holders permission, then he's breaking the law.

I meant Registered Service Provider (I.E Rupert Murdocks Empire). I guess I should have wrote what I meant LOL. I know folks who think by getting a linux box for example theyre breaking a litany of law and expect their door to be kicked in if they dare get one and are paying excess bills to such regged providers, and in the same process doing without simple luxuries in life to pay that bill.

It is the mark of an intelligent; self educated mind to be able to entertain; and debate a given idea; without fully accepting it:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When I hear people say...

"Ach You cannot please all of the people all of the time"

I think to myself; theres no proof of this; what a cop out:

Because think of all the people you will please just by trying to do it:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

• The thing is, especially with Ireland, "reports" like these that come out are never without an agenda behind them, never.

The figures also, my god, they basically just pulled them out of their arse to create more spin.

The biggest loss to the broadcasting industry in Ireland was not and is not piracy, it's Netflix - but they'll never admit that nor even attempt to include it in their figures.

The outdated legislation they're talking about is nothing new, lobbying groups have constantly and incessantly over the years tried to lobby hard on the government here to have the laws changed so any and all forms of what THEY deem as piracy, be dealt with as criminal rather than civil acts under the justice system.
    Laws already exist to deal with piracy also, but again, this is more about lobbying to change the laws exactly the way these corporate entities want them change so as to create therefore a monopoly or cartel of sorts in regards broadcast media in particular and control of same.

Piracy is just an easy excuse for them to use and like they did, pull figures from their arse to back themselves up.

Grant Thornton are just another crappy lobbyist group of corporate elitists putting out spin for the media, of which none of the mainstream have even picked up on because they know it's just lobbyist spin. It might pop on on thejournal.ie if they have a slow news day or run out of stories about cute and fluffy cats, but that's about it.

Laws like this, if they are to be changed as these lobbyists want them to be, will have to pass through public consultation and most likely broadcast live and in their entirety on oireactas TV, good luck to them trying to shill their way through that one. The current government (Fine Gael), who are themselves very corporate friendly, won't even manage to sneak law changes through as we've too many left leaning independents and non corrupt TD's in the Dail who would notice and stop it from happening.

It's just spin, nothing more, figures are made up and no laws will be changing any time soon because no laws need to change, there are already strong laws both criminal and civil to deal with piracy.

Put it this way, the starting salary for a Garda (Irish police) in Ireland is less than 25k, they're underfunded, under resourced and not nearly enough of them to deal with real criminal activity. If anything were to happen at all, it will be show cases and even then the courts are so backed up, as are the prisons, that little more than punitive fines will come from it all and the cost be so prohibitive in the first place as to make it rather pointless anyway.

Their (the broadcast industry in Ireland) biggest problem is Netflix, not piracy, and Netflix is all above board, legal and widely used across the country (and the world for that matter).
    If anything, the hidden agenda behind this latest spin is to try get laws changed to then abuse and restrict or hinder access to Netflix itself, so their competing mediums will take over.
    That or most likely, try to restrict or hinder access to spotify or other such music distribution services.

Lobbyist spin, spin and more spin, with an extra helping of spin thrown in for good measure.

:)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!