struggling setting up 1.1 metre dish

There are 15 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,925 times. The last Post () by jcll.

• yes guys i have ugraded from an old 88cm dish
    i thought i would go big for vissat etc
    anyway i have errected it on the house, bloody hell its big
    anyway i have been struggling to get thor on it
    i have dont what your suppose to do get the pole plumb
    and then stick the motor on it set it up have it striaght
    and then put dish on it all being straight, and then slackn off the motor and drive the dish round to align

but the dish i got dont have any numbers on it
    so i have looked at the old one for a guide

its a bit different to the old dish i had this has 2 slides on the side
    i take it they move the dish up and down is there a method on these to trying n get it locked on

what the top one for n the bottom or does it not matter

i am in the north west, uk i read the thread thor1 and then it should follow the arc, just struggling

the settings i have used in the past for thor are 12527,27500,auto
    but just cant seem too get it

i thought i would up grade for a better signal strength all round esp on the 16e and off course the visasat

just wondering what setting does anyone use for getting thor ta

the lnb is a black inverto twin
    box a vu duo

• make sure the pole is 100% plumb
    before mounting the motor
    use your receiver to drive the motor to 0
    mount the dish on the motor arm perfectly square
    then mount the dish and the motor onto the pole
    use 11862H 28000 BBC World for thor

Regards
    jcl

• the lnb is a black inverto twin
    box a vu duo

What dish is it m8

78cm dish on tm2300 metal gear motor + 1m Orb with tm2300 + 1.8m Channel Master on H-H floor mount + 80cm ISS with TM2300 AND Inverto Black LNB,inverto Unicable QUDL 42 LNB,- Global invacom Dscc LNB,- Triax KA LNB, - Yuri LNBF C Band YLF-CDP16C

• Do you have any kind of meter ?

Can you see the tv screen from the dish position ?

What is your longitude ? roughly ?

78cm dish on tm2300 metal gear motor + 1m Orb with tm2300 + 1.8m Channel Master on H-H floor mount + 80cm ISS with TM2300 AND Inverto Black LNB,inverto Unicable QUDL 42 LNB,- Global invacom Dscc LNB,- Triax KA LNB, - Yuri LNBF C Band YLF-CDP16C

• If you are struggling, try and find 28.2e first. Before you drive the dish from zero the dish should sit vertical (almost).

Send the dish to 28.2e, then try East/West and when thats peaked peak the elevation. If you still have problems consider checking your cables, connetions, lnb, reciever settings and then reciever.

:shamon:

• lat is 53 roughly
    long 2.36 i think have too check or are they wrong way round lol
    i am in the northwest area
    i struggled on the small dish i had to get the height right when i had that
    i know the long and lat on the motor is set right all i have done is changed the dish
    nothing more, its just there are no numbers on the dish for the angle
    but what is throwing me there are 2 slides on the side do they both do the same., i am unsure whats the best method to get the angle.

i bought the same dish as scoot 1960 a member on here from ebay
    from sat systems.

i have just ordered a patch cable which i will use on the lnb to the motor tommrow, its been windy up here today thats all, and with a dish of that size make it a bit hard moving all over the place.

i have got the motor as straight as possible on the pole, i tightn that up put the dish on it got that straight tightn that up too and then slack off the motor and moved it.

i have seemed to of got more results with the vuduo than the meter the be honest, but it could well be shit cable i have on the motor to the lnb as i am unsure if the piece i am using is rg6, the ber is on max and there is some movement on signal but very little
    all the cable i have used is rg6 cable never had a problem before with it
    on the ber on the vu duo box thats right up too the top
    and there is a slight 1-3 % movement on the signal i cant be there far surely

• its nothing to do with cable mate your just out of alignment !

if you have got dish on motor all correctly and straight + not changed any settings all you need to do is
    1st
    select 28.2 east and let motor drive to that position !
    2and align dish by moving motor left right + dish elevation up and down (all very slowly) and line it up to 28.2e using duo meter if poss !
    once you get it aligned tightenup slowly and check arc !

Your almost there m8

just drive motor to astra2 = 28.2
    align dish Azimuth(left & right) by moving motor
    align dish elevation (up & down)
    Peak signal on 28.2
    tighten up ! check arc !
    Do it all slowly and you will get it !

In my opinion ou shouldn't have loosend motor then you would have only needed to adjust elevation on dish as the rest was set !
    Doesn't matter now anyhowz cos you'll probably line it up better this way

you should only need to adjust dish elevation (up and down) not the motor ! Only move the motor left and right !
    Bring on the morning !

• Also the bigger the dish the more accurate your setting up has to be - the bigger the dish the narrower is the dish acceptance angle. Good luck.

Vu+ Solo, VIX 1.2 with CCcam2.2.1 - 1.2 Mtr Fibo gregorian, (53E - 58W). A couple of DM800's and a DM500 on a fixed 60cm dish

• cheers for all the comments rikjaard-real
    method sound the best have the dish and motor straight drive it too 28.2
    and then tweak the motor left and right and up and down on the dish prob a better option ill give it a whirl tommrow cheers guys

anyone recommend a strong sat freq for 28.2 ta

• tweak the motor left and right ! AND up and down on the dish

Just do it all slowly m8 ! especially if your using the Vu's signal meter ! Slow and sure ! Good Luck :confident:

• Ill throw my 10 pence worth in, i set the motor to 0 , them mounted up on pole to face true south and the dish perfectly square to the motor arm using a decent compass, then move to 0.8 and with a sat meter adjusted to the highest whistle and checked the signal on the vu+ (2 people is easier) , once done tightened all up (while still checking meter and signal) and if all that stays the same the arc should be perfect as long as the pole is level Maybe i was just lucky? , I get 57% signal from thor @ 53N , 3W so cant be far from you , My dish is an orbital 1m + Black Lnb. When i had issues was setting the dish up on the motor to 28.2 is ok but if its not square to the 0 point of the motor and you adjust you can miss the arc at either end of the turn (eg 30w)

• hi guys right i had a play i a can get hotbird no problems but when i move the motor round i lose other sat signals, do you think the motor aint straight enough if anyone here is in the bolton area pm me come round ill pay you too sort this out ta

• Hello pgtips
    if you look at my post #2 this is by far the easiest way to set it up.
    if you are using usals, written on the side of your motor it should say latitude.
    set this to number 53 a couple of notches below 55 make sure the little arrow is
    spot on 53. make sure the motor has been driven to 0. make sure the dish is in line with
    the motor arm. in other words if you are stood behind the motor looking at the back of the dish your lnb should be in
    line with the centre of the motor arm. use a compass to mark the pole with exact true south.put the
    motor and dish on the pole and centralise the motor exactly in the middle of your mark
    on the pole. now to find the satellite 0.8west move the dish up and down slowly until you get a signal.
    if you do not get a signal then your motor and dish are not set as stated above.
    good luck
    jcll

General Satellite & Installation Support Forum

Support for LNBs, Single satellite, motorised and multi-satellite systems. DiSEqC switches, positioners, motors, actuators, dish-alignment help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!