Debian Oscam setup. pulling my hair out

There are 16 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,257 times. The last Post () by freekhead.

• Hi all.

I finally decided to setup a server this week, and let me tell you what a week it has been. id say totaling 40 hours; reading fourms, burning images to running to the tv to see if it works:)

All has failed and my eyes are burned to the back of my head.

I have a very good knowledge of computers and am the kind of guy who will not stop until i know everything there is to know about the chosen topic.

I started out buying a smargo reader, and said id download Ubuntu. I have installed the automated script and found it would only run oscam sometimes after a restart with default settings:(

so after hours of trying and reading i said feck it ill download Debian and give Ten's tutorial (thanks Ten). the installation of debian from his link failed to install, it said grub boot loader failed and this was after 2 attempts.

I downloaded the full Debian installation (disc 1) and successfully installed that. I then installed Ten's script with success but for the life of me cant find any oscam.log file to find out if its working.

I really need help. I'm just doing this to share my full sly sub with my family.

I have learned a lot in the last few days and have gathered a lot also but I really do need some expert help in getting it up and running, my wife hasn't seen me in days and iv grown a beard:)

• Make the log files.

nano /var/log/oscam.log

ctrl+o (letter o) to write out, hit enter, ctrl+x to exit

go to your oscam directory and kill oscam, then start it, then do

tail -f /var/log/oscam.log

Then watch to see whats wrong

Few log files you will create by yourself.

• if it is set up and installed correctly, then the Oscam webif should work. in a browser from a receiver on your network, type http://ip_address_of_your_debian_server:8888 (for example http://192.168.2.100:8888)
    the username is admin
    password is admin

The oscam config files are found in /usr/local/etc

should already be log file at /var/log/oscam.log

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• Iv tried forcing oscam and still no log showing iv tried everything you mentioned but nothing working. I'm going to try install it again. Start from scratch.

• try the network install again for debian, let it choose how it organises the filesystem, and let it put the bootloader where it wants! - that is if you are not tryin to get a dual boot going of course! - when you install the script, log on as user rather than root, and use 'su' command so you run the script as root - that is how i did it.

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• When I was installing the network version of debian it asked what server to connect to. I choose the first one on the UK list. I also let debian choose my hard drive setup and still got the grub error? does it matter what version of debian i install?

Maby change the DVD drive out and burn the media a second time at a slower speed. Did notice both on Ubuntu and debian that the network decided when it wanted to work. I would check web browser and only sometimes the internet was working even thought win 7 laptop beside me was working. Is this normal;) it would let me browse the network but couldn't bring up any web pages? New to Linux but really don't think this should happen

tried oscam -b nothing happens?

• I swapped out dvd drive and didnt get the grub error and also debian after the install looks much different this time. lots of more apps and tools the admin window didnt have anything in it before

Looking good so far

Ten only thing now though is that link tiny.cc aint working. saying:

connection to tiny.cc failed. connection timed out. Retrying

any ideas why?

• Ten below i think this Pc is haunted. I finally got it sorted though

I will leave comments on what i done here for other people in case they suffer like symptoms
    here is a rundown of the problems i had and how i fixed them.

When installing Debian i got a grub load issue
    I resolved this by changing dvd drives . drive was probably faulty. if you get this error try bur the cd at a slower speed also

when i did get Debian installed, oscam was not functioning properly.
    I used a different distro of Debian and it didn't obviously have all the components needed

After changing the dvd drive and getting the correct Debian installed http://tiny.cc/ns80h was not doing anything
    Turned out that it was my internet even though my internet was functioning correctly, i reset my router ant it worked first time?

all i can say is the strangest errors iv ever come across

thanks everyone for all your help in solving my stupid problems.

sorry for the annoyance

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!