Explain these functions - AFP Setup, Samba Setup, Inadyn Setup, MiniDLNA Setup, NFS Setup, Mounts Setup and Open VPN setup.

There are 6 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,804 times. The last Post () by Mahmoud Hussein.

• Can you tell me what are these for? I do not understand anyone of them and their functions.
    e.g. AFP Setup, Samba Setup, Inadyn Setup, MiniDLNA Setup, NFS Setup, Mounts Setup and Open VPN setup.

Kindly explain these terms and their uses so that I along with all the people who are new to E2 can benefit from it.

8a118f10dc.jpg

• I think we are a bit off topic from the original thread here.

Its always forum etiquacy that you start your own thread for new topics and don't hijack other peoples threads.

You can find all your answers by searching. Google is your friend.

But here is a brief summary of the ones I know. But basically you don't need to touch any of the settings in here (maybe turn samba on) unless you are doing something very network specific.

Device setup - general network setup for wired or wireless connections. When you setup your box it will run you through the network wizard. So this is only used for future network connections problems

Mounts setup - This is basically used if you have a media server like a NAS drive. So you can connect to it.

AFP setup - Apple file sharing protocol. Allows your apple device to read the files off your box. (so you don't have to use an FTP program)

Samba - Same as above but for windows. Allows your windows device to read the files of your box via clicking the network folder on your pc.

FTP Setup - I presume this just allows you to ftp in your box. Its set to Running and autostart by default. So you don't need to touch it.

Inadyn Setup - This is used to setup a DynDNS account so you can use your own dns host for the receiver. Only needed if you want a static ip address.

MiniDNLA Setup - I presume very similar to above. (Don't know to be honest)

NFS Setup - Similar to Mounts setup for connecting to your media server.

OpenVPN setup - Used to configure any VPN account you have. To stop big brother snooping ;)

** A person who feels appreciated will always do more than what is expected **

Edited 2 times, last by KiddaC ().

• To be honest mate, there is nothing wrong with going through every menu on your box and learning what each one does. Its highly commendable.

But these boxes are solid. You cant really break anything by experimenting. So just turn things on and off and see what they do.

You are asking very basic questions, that within seconds you can find your answers on google.

Yes we all have to learn somewhere, and people are willing to help. But at least search the net first. If you are then stuck, ask your question.

** A person who feels appreciated will always do more than what is expected **

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!