I just set up remote access to my vu+ an can log into webif remotely now but cant ftp

There are 4 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 5,382 times. The last Post () by Sandman.

• Hey guys,

I just followed master G's wonderful tutorial on to set up remote access to my box, heres what i done:

I changed the port in webif to XXXXXX on my vu+ and enabled authentication

I also added a password via telnet and left username at "root"

I then went into my router config page and forwarded the port XXXXXX to 192.168.1.17 (my vu+ ip)

I have a static IP so didn't need to go down the dyndns route.

When i connect to an external wifi network and type xxx.xxx.xxx.xx:XXXXX I'm asked for a username and password, when i enter this, i can access the vu+ webif

However when I open filezilla from an external wifi network and enter:

host: my static ip
    username: root
    password: my password
    port xxxxxxx

filezilla just says "connection established, waiting for welcome message"

Then it hangs for a while and eventually times out.

I can access my box via filezilla on my own home network but just not remotely which is what i want to do

any ideas guys?

Cheers

Alan

• Your port would be linked to OpenWebif but FTP requires port 21 be opened!

If your router supports NAT, it would be a good idea to use something other than port 21 incoming and then NAT to your server & port 21 internally!

You can amend the FTP port via your box but its a bit more complicated...

Also! Remove your OpenWebif port above for security reasons!!

• Official Post

To be able to FTP remotely you need to open port 21 in the router.

Be aware doing this will make you server vunerable to illegall access attempts, make sure you have a very strong password, it would also be a good idea to change the default FTP port 21 to something else that isnt obvious to hackers.

In most routers there will be an application already setup for FTP on port 21, should be straight forward enought to edit this to a differant port.

• As soon as i opened port 21 i could ftp to the box :)

Thank you so much for your help guys

I'm loving this forum a the moment

VU+ DUO PVR Ready Linux Enigma2 Receiver Full HD 1080p

Download VUPlus Images and Enigma2 Team Support from Black Hole, OpenATV, OpenBH, Open Black Hole, OpenDroid, OpenESi, OpenHDF, OpenLD, OpenPLi, OpenSPA, OpenViX, Open Vision, PKT Hyperion, PurE2, SatDreamGR, VTi.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!