picon how to activate them in pure2 image?

There are 49 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 7,109 times. The last Post () by gorski.

• Flexibility = users decide... That is the point of the plugin and PB/PurE2 as such... (No nanny coders allowed... :laugh1::rasta2bigsmoke0gf1: )

Jokes aside - one does as one finds it necessary/preferable...:cool1:

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/ets/CCREAD/etscc/kant.html

• Official Post

Flexibility = users decide... That is the point of the plugin and PB/PurE2 as such... (No nanny coders allowed... :laugh1::rasta2bigsmoke0gf1: )

Jokes aside - one does as one finds it necessary/preferable...:cool1:

You keep saying people can choose location. I know this. There is no point repeating it. I am asking if the standard locations are predefined or not.

If they are predefined and user has choice, people can just transfer/install them and restart. If they are not, people have to select the location. If you don't want to answer the question, just say so.

• I did. You need to get your thinking straight, m8.

Users choose = no coders deciding for you.

It's simple, elegant and cool, AFAIC...

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

• Official Post

Lets agree to disagree about whether you answered the question I asked. Your opinion is you answered the question. My opinion is you you did not give a straight answer to the question asked. You just kept saying people have a choice.

So my thinking saying: They are not predefined. User MUST set location. This is apparently simpler than just installing/transferring them and not doing anything.

Other images, people just transfer/install the picons. Apparently, this is not simple.

An image that has predefined locations and also allows user to specify a location would be the best setup.

• Let's put it this way: if you have a "dynamic mounting system" (of USB etc. devices) - you have no choice, it's done according to a coder's understanding of what users' needs are. Accordingly, with picons etc.

In PB/PurE2 you decide how these devices are going to be mounted and then it's set in stone, no surprises occur. It will all be as you set it up, according to your needs - after a reboot your USB devices will not have swapped places and it all went to pieces, whatever you carefully set up. See OpenPli, for instance...

When you have that freedom of choice, you can decide where you want your EPG, picons, SWAP etc. And it stays there!

Do you understand now?

• Official Post

I am not going to respond further to you after this post. You think you are giving a straight answer, I think you are not.

We are both here to help people and enjoy doing so. We are not here to argue.

You can keep saying PureE2 gives users choice.

Based on teh politicain's answers given, I will advise people who ask about on picons on Pure2, they must set the picon path to be used. I am not disputing your claim to be a better image/simpler/elegant/cool.

Other images will use a picon folder on the root of a storage device, whatever its mount point. There is no setting up. They can choose to use any of the permitted locations.

• Official Post

pure2 has unique hdd mount options and formats.....

Unique share options

While the std picon locations work fine and I use one of them on pure2 I guess being able to use different one's has it's advantages too.... whilst unnecessary for the average user

• The only "politician" in this thread is you, sorry Abu... You seem to be doing the "populist" thing here, worthy of a politician: "Look, we (the coders) do not require you (users) to do any thinking, to understand anything, we will set it all up for you, you just plug it in and it will work. (Except when it won't...) In return, you give all the rights to decide for you - to us." Sweet. Just not good enough for me.

Yes, freedom comes with "responsibilities", if you want to put it like that - namely, it is up to you to decide and press a few buttons, i.e. you as a user decide where you want to put them. Or in other words: "No you do not have somebody to do the thinking for you".

In short, we see 2 different philosophies at work here.

But I ask you: what is "so difficult" about PurE2?

One more thing: I must notice very little belief in your users' intelligence and willingness to learn... Patronising is the word I am searching for, really...

• A piece of advice from an old professor of Philosophy: either debate with arguments, rationally - or don't start to begin with...

• Official Post

With regards to

One more thing: I must notice very little belief in your users' intelligence and willingness to learn... Patronising is the word I am searching for, really...

A straight answer from you would have achieved this and everybody would have been aware and adapted. The answer was given earlier by those in the know. Most people are used to images just working without choosing where to put the picons. It is simple. They choose where to put them, the image uses that.

It is you who is patronisng to people. I tried to end this,

Another saying is:

Never argue with a stupid person. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• You mean to say, Abu, that you (and perhaps a majority [of Humanity or just in the hobby?]?) don't feel brave enough to go against the current, that swimming against the tide scares you... That is fine. I will not try to tell you what's right for you. Suit yourself.

But can you understand this: one ought not to tell others what to do, how to think and feel regarding any issue "the other" can figure out for oneself. Speaking personally, please do not try to make me toe the line just because you think/feel/act like you do. I have a brain of my own, a strong spine and a will to be myself, thanx...

Or in the best of Balkan's tradition (so frequently misunderstood even and especially there), there are 2 values that define us: Humanity and Heroism. Heroism is one's capacity to defend oneself from the other but Humanity is one's capacity to defend the other from oneself. Try to see if you could save me from yourself, in this regard, please...

Speaking personally, I am not FORCING anything down on you, I am OFFERING another possibility to all - my PurE2 Team, that is, I am just a messenger in this respect, if somewhat eloquent and straight forward speaking one, at that, somebody who is trying to uphold this tradition, since I happen to believe in it...

And so, let me offer better grounds for mutual understanding:

1) I have already explained this in detail in the threads/posts regarding setting up PurE2, esp. when it comes to PurE2 Device Manager.

2) Automounting (what you are talking about, Abu) is present in PurE2, for people who feel like you. But that is automatic instance, for the "average user", as Jens put it neatly.

3) Competitive advantage and specificity of PurE2 on the E2 scene is an option to abolish/switch OFF "Automounting" in favour of self-structured mounting, whereby the user is boss and s/he decides what's it gonna be like in their box, according to their HW, their setup, their needs and preferences.

Here, for anyone trying to get the most and the best out of PurE2 (and E2 as such, in my opinion): How to structure/setup PurE2: mounting devices/partitions in PurE2's Device Manager and what to send where!

4) These principles, built into PurE2, are the continuation of PowerBoard's worthy goals and philosophy, which I accepted wholeheartedly, as you can see, for reasons given. To me, PurE2 gives users options and that is always preferable, in my mind, to not having any options or in this case "dynamic mounting" which can wreck hours of working on an image, i.e. your setup the way you want it to be - at the next reboot...

5) This philosophy continues in matters of PurE2 skin, Estuary (users can choose how it will look, how it will behave, various elements can be edited according to a user's preference/need etc.), EPG, picons, SWAP file and onwards. These paths are open to be set up the way users feel/want/think is best for them.

Please note: I asked my Teammates to publish the source code for PowerBoard Centre and they did, just like anything else that really matters in terms of our hobby as a whole (even though some of it did not go under our coders' nicks, just so you know). One can find it online, if one is so inclined and continue, hopefully improve upon this worthwhile effort in their image, of course.

One more thing, since we're at it: PB Centre also incorporates Flash Expander, as well as various ways of formatting and partitioning a device, two ways of mounting devices/partitions etc. A marvellous piece of hobby's history worth preserving, I think and so I fight for it...

6) Even if my very life depended on it, I could not code, Abu. You are way "superior" or "better" than me in that. That being said, I am no slouch when it comes to understanding things, if I put my mind to something. I have a few talents of my own and I have worked on those, in some cases for decades, so no, not everybody gets to tell me stuff without me being able to at least ask pertinent questions. Get over it. You simply did not understand but you wanted to pull a fast one over me and you did not succeed. You lost the argument. It happens. That does not mean you are not a worthy contributor to the scene. But your worthy efforts do not make you infallible, either. No one is. In this specific case, you made a mistake. Or several, in this thread, to be more exact. It happens. However, let's not lose perspective over it: no one is automatically less worthy and a "bad person" because one makes a mistake or three... I mean, let's not get all girly about it, shall we??? We're big boys, right?!? So, we move on to better things in life... :)

7) Instead of conclusion: this is a good way of pointing out the differences in E2 world, when it comes to its structure, the philosophy behind a Team's effort, so it can lead to a better understanding of our hobby, ergo I would like to keep this thread as it is, so people can learn from it and make their own minds up... :wink::cool1:

I hope no one objects vehemently to it...

• Send them to USB stick, m8. Reasons being: not to overwhelm the flash/ROM, together with EPG etc.

Then choose the path via PurE2 picon path plugin, save and restart... Similar with EPG...

Good luck. ;)

PurE2 Team Images Support Forum ~ based on OE-Alliance

PurE2 Supported Models ~

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!