Vu+ Solo SE V2 don't boot

There are 23 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 3,949 times. The last Post () by piterfree.

• Hello all,

Last week i had bad luck with my 3-year-old VuSoloSE. Some kind of short circuit originated on a high consumption appliance caused somehow to burn the HDMI module from my TV and all devices to it connected including my box Vu. Only this TV and box were affected however the TV still works fine only HDMI ports become unusable.

What concerns me the most is in fact the Vu Box that now won't boot despite of having the front light turned ON. Network is unreachable and the LED lights from network card are permanently turned on. Images attached!

I tried to search around web to understand what might be the problem to try to save the box but nothing found for this specific model only for vu duo and the red light problem that is solved by replacing some capacitors.

Since this problem was in fact related with some electrical discharge maybe something is related to capacitors as well but since the box motherboard has so many is like finding a needle on a haystack. Currently I don’t have my serial cable with me so I cannot plug it in to the box for trying to obtain some kind of log.

So if anyone has any ideas what could be the problem? Anyone experienced similar situation?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Does your set top box work on another TV ?

2. How exactly does the set top box behave when you turn it on ?

3. If there are no signs of functioning, why do not you run RS232 diagnostics ? Null-Modem Cable for RS232 is enough to connect it to your PC. Then, you release the terminal on the RS232 serial port on your PC (PUTTY application, for example) and check the device booting.

4. If the hardware is damaged, buy a new Vu+, because Vu+ Solo SE is already old. At least the version Vu+ Solo SE V2 is newer, but the original version is not good.

• master G

Added the Label Hardware Support
  • master G

Changed the title of the thread from “[HARDWARE PROBLEM][DIAGNOSE][HELP] Solo SE V2 don't boot” to “Vu+ Solo SE V2 don't boot”.
  • 1. Does your set top box work on another TV ?

2. How exactly does the set top box behave when you turn it on ?

3. If there are no signs of functioning, why do not you run RS232 diagnostics ? Null-Modem Cable for RS232 is enough to connect it to your PC. Then, you release the terminal on the RS232 serial port on your PC (PUTTY application, for example) and check the device booting.

4. If the hardware is damaged, buy a new Vu+, because Vu+ Solo SE is already old. At least the version Vu+ Solo SE V2 is newer, but the original version is not good.

Hello s3n0,

1. No the box did not work on another TV

2. When i turn it on the box stays like on StandBy front LED light turn on. (see attached photos)

3. Yes i would like to do that but as i said i am dislocated on another city and i don't have my serial cable with me.

4. Yes my SoloSe is the version 2, on the body of the text i did not say it but it's in fact the version 2. I think that the 2 models were already discontinued. I would like to save this box because I already have dual tuners for it satellite and cable that allows me to cover different sources of TV (I move a lot J ).

Thanks

• Maybe you could try to reflash your Vu + device. If the image Enigma2 (file system) is damaged, it could help clean the flash image.

If not, then try the RS-232 diagnostics. It will be decisive whether the chipset and processor, and therefore the CFE bootloader, work at all.

Where are the photos attached ? I do not see, sorry :).

If you can not solve the problem, the set top box can buy the same one, but second hand.

• And did the flash image run successfully ?

Is it possible to connect to a set-top box via Telnet / SSH (for example, using PUTTY, via LAN) ?

• No it's like no USB stick is not insert on the box no firmware upgrade action is started by the box.

No it's not possible to connect by network. The LED on switch port connected to the box isn't even turned on.

• So try RS232 as we wrote, but it's also not 100% sure that you will find the cause of the problem. If RS232 does not work (ie, the CFE bootloader will not run), the problem will probably be hardware and you have to look for the electrician's help :).

• No it's like no USB stick is not insert on the box no firmware upgrade action is started by the box.

No it's not possible to connect by network. The LED on switch port connected to the box isn't even turned on.

Try a new power adapter.

In the attachment You will find the instructions for rs232 for Vu zero, it's same for Vu solo se.

• I have the same problem:

my VU plus SOLO SE v2 looks exactly same as your on pictures, front led on, and leds on LAN connector on, no picture on HDMI.

There is no 5V on USB, but on board there is 5V and 3.3V on most points on board, looks like everything is ok with power supply.

When I try to flash with USB image, nothing happens, adn for me it is obvious because there is no 5V voltage on USB pin.

When I connect RS232, at terminal windows there is nothing to show, only when back power switch turns off, at that moment there some

"garbage" characters on terminal. On power switch turn on there is no characters at terminal screen (putty-serial console).

I had also tried with other console application, same situation.

I think that main cpu not working, but what is reason, I do not know. On JTAG pins there is also 3.3V except ground pin of course.

Sorry for my bad english.

Can you please inform me did you find solution?

I had ordered developer board over ebay to try JTAG. (currently waiting for JTAG "adapter").

• No +5V power supply in the USB connector ? It is a bad ! Uhm, open the box and repair it ! :-/ You probably don't need RS232 diagnostics yet. If there is not +5V on a USB pin connector, it's bad. I do not know. Probably something is damaged on the motherboard (power circuit maybe).

I own the same set-top box at home: Vu+ Solo SE V2. All works perfectly here with my set-top box.

RS-232 flash method is very slow and used only for flashing CFE boot-loader.

• Hi @Kataryno,

I have the same problem with the same box (Vu+ SOLO SE).

I want to ask:
    Did you fix it? or achieve anything? - After all these 3 years :cool:

and most important:
    How to diagnose in PuTTY using Serial Connection?
    What the settings should I do inside PuTTY for Serial Communication?

:thanks:

• Hi hecha71 .

The standard method of flashing the set-top box via an inserted USB memory stick - does not work ? I mean this method (valid for all Enigma2 firmwares): https://wiki.openpli.org/Recei…ow_to_flash_Vu.2B_Solo_SE

Note for OpenATV firmware:

In case of using OpenATV firmware, delete the file named "splash.bin" from USB memory stick. This file will rewrite the logo of the Vu+ device that you see immediately after turning on the set-top box to the ATV design (you will see the ATV advertisement after turning on the set-top box). So it is better to delete this one file.

According to the attached log file, CFE works and normally searches for and tries to flash firmware from USB memory devices:

• According to the attached log file, CFE works and normally searches for and tries to flash firmware from USB memory devices:

when trying to flash the receiver (we tried the official image from different release dates and from different teams), the result is the same. I need to understand the problem in the processor, flash memory, or some other element on the board. here I have another log that I took off when I wanted to flash the receiver. there are strange errors as I realized that either there is no USB-processor-memory connection over the bus, or the chip that is responsible for USB ports is U126-TPS2052B

I'll say right away I tried 3 different USB flash drives, the result is the same, I flashed 100% working flash drives and solo 2 and duo 2 with them, and not only these receivers and zgemma 7 and octagon 8008 everything is always fine.

• That's right, there are some errors at the end of the CFE log.

However, you asked about flashing procedures, and when the CFE bootloader responds and can load files from a USB memory stick, the error lies elsewhere.

The cause can be any HW problem. For example, problems with internal flash memory or RAM. It may not be a directly faulty part of the cells / blocks in the memory modules, but it can be, for example, the power supply of the memories. The cause can be, for example, "cold connections" on the PCB (poor connections). It's hard to say where the error is. It could be anything else.

You should buy a new set-top box when you have these hardware problems.

Or try asking on some Vu+ focused discussion forum.

:thinking face:

• However, you asked about flashing procedures, and when the CFE bootloader responds and can load files from a USB memory stick

I realized that there is a firmware option for this receiver, let's say through an ftp server, so I asked you. and everything that you described to me, I knew better. of course, I can try to restore it through Broadcom Broadband Studio (BBS) and the debugging board https://cloud.mail.ru/public/Edik/SLnRufBqN

I will find a file specifically for cfe_Solo SE recovery and I will try this way :beer1:

• I wouldn't bother with that. I would buy a new device. For example, Vu+ Zero 4K.

Damage to the CFE-bootloader code block is unlikely, as the CFE bootloader itself works OK. CFE booloader already reports the error - when it is booting. So it's probably not a bug in the CFE bootloader itself.

I have a bootloader for Vu+ Solo SE (also V2 is the same) in my PC, but I don't know where I got it from. Of course, it is flashed by hardware - via RS232. The flashing procedure should also be sufficient via a USB memory stick (it is the same procedure as when flashing Enigma2).

So I thought... that maybe you used the wrong firmware... and changed the names of the folders to your liking... and then overwrote the firmware in your device with a bad version, intended for a different type of Vu+.

VU+ SOLO SE PVR Ready Linux Enigma2 Receiver Full HD 1080p

Download VUPlus Images and Enigma2 Team Support from Black Hole, OpenATV, OpenBH, Open Black Hole, OpenDroid, OpenESi, OpenHDF, OpenLD, OpenPLi, OpenSPA, OpenViX, Open Vision, PKT Hyperion, PurE2, SatDreamGR, VTi.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!