Timezone setting will not stick.

There are 17 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 3,212 times. The last Post () by supwiddiss.

• Hi all.
    Updated to openatv 6.3 on an H7. Was looking for a few fixes.
    Here in the US we have daylight savings time of course.
    I set my timezone and time was correct. When I shutdown cold and reboot the zone reverts to default.
    After several attempts at setting the correct time for here, a shutdown and restart always reverts to default European time.
    I did download and flash the latest openatv 6.2 nightly. I'm still getting the same result of time not sticking.

I wonder if a reflash does not wipe all old files and if not that is my problem.
    I did decomplie the /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/Timezones.pyo file in an attempt to just set the default zone to mine until the time changes again.
    Good idea? Bad Idea? It's decompiled offline to Timezones.pyo_dis.
    I'm not sure how to recompile it.

Or is there a more 'correct' fix?
    I have addressed this in the openatv forum (english section) many days ago but no responses.
    Maybe someone here could give a few tips?

• Official Post

if you are using a tool like easy decompiler python it decompiles the .pyo file to .pyo_dis

backup, then remove or rename Timezones.pyo

decompile Timezones.pyo then make your changes

rename Timezones.pyo_dis to Timezones.py

send it to the box

reboot for changes to take effect

you should now have a newly compiled Timezones.pyo file

• what are use using for time sink ??

transponder or NTP server ??

447ce56ad0cf23ecc.jpg

Jens,

Started with the defaults that always worked and kept my time correct on 6.2. pool.ntp.org. Tried transponder time. Then time.windows.com found on my pc.
    Funny thing is time always stayed put with the default time server. It only started after I tried openatv 6.3 hopefully to see if new drivers were implemented.
    Timezone always reverted to the default when cold booted.
    Flashed the most recent nightly from that day I reflashed back to 6.2. The time problem persisted.
    That's why I wonder and question if a flash overwrites all old data except for the boot loader.

And master G. Thanks! I read that the decompiled pyo would self compile again if I did something correctly.
    Will give it a go until the glitch is sorted.

You guys are tops!

• Timezones.pyJust for giggles my decompiled file is attached. I followed your tip master G and rebooted. Now instead of (GMT+01:00) Amsterdam,Berlin,Bern, Rome,Vienna coming up as default. (GMT-12:00) International Date Line West is what it shows. I don't think the Linux pixies are very happy.

• Official Post

A re-flash will start you off with a fresh image, however if you then restore your settings (with system / settings restore or similar ) you may reintroduce a bug that you had saved in the settings backup.

with regards your zgemma h7 have a look for driver updates here:

https://github.com/oe-alliance…irdigital/recipes-drivers

once you have edited the decompiled pyo file and renamed it, delete the .pyo file on the box, you only need your now named .py file until a reboot

After the rebooted of box, you will your version of the edited .pyo file in that location ( your ,py file too....that can now be deleted) like masterG said

Not tried atv 6.3 in a long time, but if it is a general image bug perhaps make a post on there forum, they normally pretty good at fixing things, i take you don't have the issue on other firmware ?

• In my modest experience, 6.3 for H7, and many other boxes, is still a waste of time/nerves. YMMV.

Agreed. So in everyone's opinion a reflash will overwrite all previous data and start new?
    I'll have to dig up an archived version. I guess I'm asking does a new flash format the memory?
    And no, I didn't restore any old settings after going back to 6.2.

• Could you guys with an H7 running openatv check if you do a deep shutdown (complete reboot) see if the time and timezone stays?
    Perhaps just an openatv thing ....here comes gorskovitch!

I just received an Edision mio 4k receiver today and flashed openatv 6.2 on it (ease of use of the remote control).
    It too loses time and my timezone on deep shutdown.
    Annoying too is that when I do a satellite scan the receiver sends a diseqc command to move my dish to the first sat on my list.
    Unlike the H7 where the dish stays on the last sat I scanned.

I've narrowed it down to deep shutdowns, cold reboots simply causes these boxes to forget what time it is.
    The recompiled timezone python with my timezone edited in it did not fix anything yet.
    Help! I'm drowning here....

• Official Post

will have a look when home

Try different firmware openvix is similar to atv

Btw how is blindscan the new box ??

Your thoughts on it from that side of the pond would be good to hear:GMlinuxsat1:

• will have a look when home

Try different firmware openvix is similar to atv

Btw how is blindscan the new box ??

Your thoughts on it from that side of the pond would be good to hear:GMlinuxsat1:

It took me much more time scanning in satellites using manual scan only because (picture this)....
    I would scan lets say 125, leave the scan to arrange last scanned into bouquets in dreamset.
    The dish would steer back to 133. I'd then setup a scan for 101. The dish would steer to that, scan, leave to make another bouquet.....dish would swing back to 133.
    Over and over. This back and forth caused the dish mover to lose counts. A thing I'll have to sort out. It then required me to fine tune my sats again.
    Perhaps a deglitching circuit, move to a hall effect sensor. I dunno.
    Blind scan (a Real one) on one sat which had about 100 channels resulted in over 1000 channels.
    It receives the previously blind-to-the H7 and fta receiver ACM radio stations brilliantly.

Over on the atv forum there always has to be to one guy...that one guy....comments I didn't set my receiver up correctly.
    How easy can it be to set your zone to BFE and expect for it to stay?

• Official Post

looks like you found the issue on the other forum, with dreambox edit....

Oh definitely identified 2 at least.
    What does your do after you deep standby and reboot?

Mine is fine, but i dont use dreambox edit.... never have really. I use echannilser or bouquet edit on openwebif or just the remote control for odd channels....

https://echannelizer.com/

Seems a bit weird though to say the least

• Probably the same thing my friend. Writing to the box sends the init command to restart.
    There lies the problem. A restart of any sort of the boxes defaults time to Amsterdam. DBE or not.
    I'll try echannelizer on a fresh, possibly uncorrupted flash and see what the deal is.
    If I were a tiger, I'd turn into butter.

• Yes, i am assuming it is something going wrong when you upload you channels. I take it a fresh image, set your time and reboot and it should stick.....

Looks like flashing back to the original factory image has fixed the drawn out timezone glitch problem.

I would highly recommend in a sticky, if one is created, to put backing up the factory image a must do as soon as possible. Preferably after initial setup, before anything is done in post setup.

This image in the mio is The North American Project version. Not posted in the Edision support files site.

A thing I did not do with my Zgemma H7. So I never found the exact factory image for that.

If Dreamset Editor (which was suggested I use with the H7) is in fact the culprit for corrupting Timezone staying fixed for your zone. Perhaps that's it.
    Thanks Jens. I'll use E-Channelizer through the learning curve of the mio.

I really thought an expensive VU+ would be the hot ticket. I wouldn't mind spending as much money as needed to get the product that would do it all.
    Unfortunately for me vendors who don't go the extra mile (or kilometer) to actually give their products a hands on test haven't been a good experience for me.
    A telephone call is always the best thing, and a vendor who actually uses their product and is willing to try thing with them pre-purchase is tops.
    My vendor, Titanium Satellite...whom I've purchased directly an LNB and dish mover to get the ball rolling has been "The Guy".
    He has taken a geekish, hobbyist approach and shared his in depth knowledge with me. That alone convinced me to grab the mio from him.
    I believe what he described in his conversations that the SatDream "The North American Project" version was the result of his close ties with his supplier.

Now that's service!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!