No network connection on vu+ solo 2

There are 20 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 5,511 times. The last Post () by seagen.

• I’m having difficulty getting my server (vu solo2) to pick up the IP address and name server in network,

IV tried rebooting the router but not having any success. It’s been like that for quite a while and any

advice is greatly appreciated.

• master G

Added the Label Networking Support
    • Official Post

I am pretty sure you have a faulty network cable

To test set your IP address manual and use 8.8.8.8 as dns server

If you dont get it to work then try another cable

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything in life that's any fun is either immoral, illegal or fattening

If you want to support the Linuxsat-Support forum

Become a VIP Member

• What Enigma2 distribution do you use ? Which version ?

In every Enigma2 you can also check the connection via MENU (in OpenATV here : Settings -> System -> Network -> Device -> choose a network test). There you'll see where the problem is.

• If you can borrow some of the functional WiFi USB dongles for your Enigma2, try to install the driver (via PLUGIN MENU) and connect this USB WiFi dongle. Then you will solve the problem through the standard SSH / Telnet connection and through the command line (Shell).

Vu+ are quite good boxes that also have an RS232 interface. So to diagnose the problem is also possible via RS232. Download PUTTY to your PC, open the "serial session" in PUTTY, connect serial cable between your PC and box. Then you reboot the box and just watch the LOG records in the PUTTY.

• I’m stuck here, working at it this hours, cables ok but when I go setup,-network, device and adapter settings

and in there user interface and DHCP both yes further down there is no IP address, subnet or gateway showing

just n/a, how do I enter these manually.

• Official Post

Where you see Use DHCP Yes just press left on remote and set to No and all is open up for manual settings.

• Which type of wifi-router is there ? I mean: brand and model + firmware type.

The problem may also be on the side of the router (DHCP service on the router does not assign an IP address to your set top box ... for unknown reason).

Try to set everything in the set top box as manually (IP, MASK, Gateway). As also seagen wrote. Then apply the settings and try to reboot your box.

There should also be options for resetting the network adapter configuration or also restarting the network interface. Try both of them.

• S3no the router is an netgear and I run 3 boxes of it with the other 2 running perfectly so,it’s not the problem.

I turned DHCP off and was able to imput my details and waited until it was configerated the box won’t run

unless dhcp is turned on and when I do that I loss the settings I put in and when I run network test there is no

IP address or name server showing.

• Official Post

You need a full reboot to be sure that your manual ip settings will take change

• But computer networks, for example, are not easy at all from the perspective of programmers. Indeed, you just need a completely primitive thing like disabling auto-negotiation and a cheap wifi-router can then have a problem communicating with this device.

That's why I was also interested in the specific type, model, brand of your wifi-router as well as the firmware version (year, firmware date). Alternative firmware are often better, but there is again a problem to set them properly (dd-wrt, open-wrt, and their various distributions). But let the wifi-router so far :).

I don't really know where the problem might be. Try replacing the entire RJ45 cable between box and router. Try checking the RJ45 connector in the set top box. Try swapping the LAN port in the wifi router - use a different connector in the router to the cable from your set top box. It may happen that one pin in the connector rusts or gets damaged, and it may be a problem. I have no idea where the problem is, because remotely these things are difficult to solve.

I would start to solve the problem with thoughts when these problems started exactly. What preceded this ? Did the boxing network stop working day by day? Or did the network stop working after installing a plug-in ? Or did the network stop working on the recent box restart ? Or what happened exactly ?

• I’ve tried the box at another location as suggested by johndeere88 and it works 100%. I made my own cables

and installed ethernet ports in 5 different locations for computers and sat receivers and they’ve been working

for quite a few years except now this one has stopped. I have a cable tester and all of them are correctly wired

including the one where the receiver has stopped working, now for the strange part. If I run a new cable from

the router to the receiver it works and I can’t figure it out, any ideas?

• Is every one of the 6 wires showing as good ,if either of the 2 tx or 2 rx wires are even slightly iffy it will not transmit or receive properly also have any other wiring/ appliances been put in recently that could cause interference on the remaining 2 wires.

• What's your cable tester ? It is not enough anyway. Electrical engineering is a little more complicated. For example, the RJ-45 cable tester does not show impedance or possible induction, nor does it indicate the magnitude of the transient electrical resistance in each vein, and does not indicate possible short circuits, nor does it indicate the material from which the cable is made. Usually these are digital testers.

Oh yes, where are the times when the cables were tested with the bulb and the battery pack :). At one end, I put together all 8 veins, and at the other end, I gradually connected all the 1 + 7 wires through the battery and the bulb.

So the problem can be in the cable anyway. The cable may have a broken wire at half length. Although the signal passes, but only 10%. Something similar to a satellite antenna shows ... there are two quantities ... one is signal-to-noise ratio and one is the signal strength received from the satellite in space. Similarly, cables, even if the connection is good, does not mean that data transfer is also good.

Another thing that often happens is the wrong pairing of veins or the swapping of veins in one connector. Very often this happens to people, when manually crimping connectors. I'm not saying you, but that happens often. So check the cable three more times :). The cable testing method is also primitive. It depends on the type of cable tester. However, most of them only check logic 1 and logical 0 throughput and nothing else. Then it may happen that not all network elements can handle a poor quality cable.

In the end ... I recommend to measure each vein separately (all 8 veins) with analogue electric multimeter - you will measure electrical resistance. Move the cable during the measurement. The same thing with another cable and maybe there's a difference.

• 429dc29ac47f39afce.gifThere is actually only 4 wires used for data in cat5/6 cables ( 1,2,3,6 ) although it is much easier to install all 8 as you know 1,2,3,6 will be correct.

It is also important to follow a diagram, i use the above T568B configuration with my cables.

Also if you struggle making the cables up then webro have brought out new type plugs where the cables come out the end so that the installer would know they are correct before crimping, called the speedy connector.

http://www.webro.com/data-networking/speedy-rj45/

• Yes 1999gtv all 8 wires showing good and nothing new has been put in recently.

I’m thinking of rewiring a new cable which isn’t easy but worth a

As it works when you tried a new cable logically it has to be the currently installed cable which has a fault. Rather than rewiring a new one straight away it may be worth just remaking the connections on each end of your currently installed cable, if it works it's a bonus if not it looks like a few hours swearing and sweating is in order changing entire length

• As I said at the beginning I don’t know how long it’s been not working but about 3 weeks ago I installed

a VPN on the router but can’t see how it would work on two receivers and not the 3rd one. There is

something else which I need to look into and will do so and report back, it might take a few days before

I have time.

VU+ SOLO 2 PVR Ready Linux Enigma2 Receiver Full HD 1080p

Download VUPlus Images and Enigma2 Team Support from Black Hole, OpenATV, OpenBH, Open Black Hole, OpenDroid, OpenESi, OpenHDF, OpenLD, OpenPLi, OpenSPA, OpenViX, Open Vision, PKT Hyperion, PurE2, SatDreamGR, VTi.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!