DM800HD NO CA FOUND - Is it over?

There are 9 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 5,074 times. The last Post () by seagen.

• Translated from Swedish!

Hello everybody!

It is so that unfortunately I am the victim of the family to be the one who is to cook all technical objects even though I have no experience in things.

I was commissioned to fix a dreambox DM800 HD where I would flash for a new OpenPLI 7.0 that I have read was the latest. I had no idea if the box was cloned or not but I took the risk to start by downloading a cloned OpenPLI 7.0. Before that, I turned off power from the dreambox, held the power button and put the power back on. Then there was an IP address that I entered in Firefox 3.0 (had to downgrade firefox) and then I took a cloned version. Then I found it was Invalid IMAGE. Tested another cloned and everyone gave me Invalid IMAGE and in my head I thought it was then original box. I downloaded an original image and then worked flashed, booted and then it says ERROR: No CA FOUND - I have seen that there were quite a few who had that problem and that you have to buy a cord called nullmodem etc. It would also go with the USB Mini said but the modem I have in front of me does not have access to it but has only two common USB inputs.

I tested to take out power, hold the power button and then bring in the power but nothing further, it's stuck to NO CA FOUND. I do not know if I should now give up and buy me an Android BOX which I assume is the easiest (Minix) for the family but before I notify them so I wonder if there is something I can do to fix the dreambox or is it simply break down and just buy new ones?

Now I do not have the best experience either, went from Google today and this is how far I have come up with the knowledge so please, was not too hard on me.

Appreciate all kind of help!

• The magic word is "RS-232 interface". If you know the speed and setup of the RS-232 in the set top box, a mull-modem cable with a simple wiring (with no hardware handshaking), that is, just over 2 wires + GND, should suffice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…l_modem_DB-9_xon-xoff.svg

So you need to run RS232 serial communication to diagnose problems between your PC and set top box. The DM800 HD should have a RS232 connector on the back. If you do not have an RS232 interface on your computer (connector on the motherboard), you can use a USB-to-Serial (USB-to-RS232) interface. Sometimes problems may arise when installing drivers in Windows. It depends on the Windows version and the update.

Then download and start PUTTY into Windows and open a new session of "Serial" type where you will set the used COM port? (can be found through the "Windows" control panel) and speed (depending on the set top box, by default, almost everywhere 9600 or 115200). Then just turn off and on the set top box and watch PUTTY.

Also in case of "rescue mode" you will need this connection method if you want to flash something into the box. Through the RS232 interface, it should be possible to load a new bootloader. You could do this with the "Dreambox NO CA FOUND Repair Tool NCF SIM2 v2.1" tool. Since I haven't done it yet, I won't tell you the exact procedure. Unfortunately, you have to search the internet.

But be careful, it's no fun. On Google you will find many tutorials, as well as how to upload the bootloader for DM800 HD. Of course, be sure you have a clone or not.

• Oh thank you for the awesome information here! As you said there is a RS232 indeed on the back and as you have mentioned it seems that I require the RS232 cable for sure to get it fixed. I did just check if my motherboard did have the RS232 but it seems like this is the only options I have z97ar.jpg

(sorry for the big picture)

So this is not looking very good on that side and also Idid check the USB-to-RS232 and here in Sweden they do take around 40-60$ for a converter like that, is that a normal price?

It does seems like it might end up needing to actually upgrade it because I don't feel like I wanna really spend 40$+ for a cable that I might actually do something wrong again or maybe that will not even be my solution for the problem?

Do you maybe know how much percentage it is that it will actually work with USB-to-RS232 with using "Dreambox NO CA FOUND Repair Tool NCF SIM2 v2.1" tool even though you said you haven't tried it? :)

• I don't know really... but how I wrote, so, I never tried it, because I don't use Dreambox and I hate Dreambox :).

Unfortunately, the motherboard https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z97AR/specifications/ does not have a serial RS-232 port, so you need to purchase a USB-to-Serial adapter + null-modem communication data cable. Buy any USB-to-Serial with FTDI chipset and install a driver if necessary. USB-to-Serial will certainly work. I use it often in any PC. Unfortunately, there are occasional problems with installing Windows OS drivers.

As for the "NCF SIM2 v2.1" tool, I don't know if it will work. I didn't try it.

Incidentally, some laptops also include an RS-232 connector (interface). So if you have a laptop at home or some your friend have a laptom... you will save 10 EUR cca for the USB-to-RS232. Then you only buy a data null-modem cable for about 2 EUR :) (the 9-pin 2-row Female-connector should be on both ends).

• Oh lord, It is not looking well... Might I ask you what you suggest to use for box mostly for IP-tv I guess what I have been told? Unless you use other stuff of course... However, I do appreciate your answer a lot and atleast I know where I should be heading.

I don't know how I wrote, so I never tried it because I don't use and hate Dreambox :).

Unfortunately, the motherboard https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z97AR/specifications/ does not have a serial RS-232 port, so you need to purchase a USB-to-Serial adapter + null-modem communication data cable. Buy any USB-to-Serial with FTDI chipset and install a driver if necessary. USB-to-Serial will certainly work. I use it often in any PC. Unfortunately, there are occasional problems with installing Windows OS drivers.

As for the "NCF SIM2 v2.1" tool, I don't know if it will work. I didn't try it.

• What do you mean by "IP-tv" ? I do not understand. Do you mean DVB standard IPTV or just some online internet multimedia A/V-stream ?

• Use JapharFlasher with RS232 cable to PC and RJ45 to modem, from the box.

Check which sim you have in the box, open it and compare with the photos of the sim cards you will find on the link below. Then you will know which clone box it is, and so which images you can flash to it.

Emo

• master G

Added the Label Image Flashing & Backup Support
  • master G

Changed the title of the thread from “DM800 HD - NO CA FOUND, Is it over?” to “DM800HD NO CA FOUND - Is it over?”.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!