Formuler Z8 - First thoughts

There are 7 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,684 times. The last Post () by Johney.hu.

• I have tried one other IPTV service and it worked very well.

But can this box be fine tuned? Are there are custom firmwares, interesting plugins, skins or any other cool stuff that allow us to empower the box? Give it extra features or anything like that?

• Well, perhaps the first thing to say is the obvious one. - The FormulerZ8 runs on Android and not Linux.

OK, so the basic 'droid kernel we are told is apparently based on a pared-down Linux kernel, but there (to my simple mind at least) any similarities or comparisons both begin and end.

From a commercial point of view I am given to understand that the MyTvOnline 1 and 2 apps is what Formuler consider to be their flagship app, is proprietary to Formuler and is simply created by them and installed exclusively on certain Formuler devices as a means of encouraging people to buy their hardware, which at the end of the day is how they actually earn their living.

Personally speaking I am one of those people who for the most-part shun and avoid anything proprietary and particularly android and absolutely avoid anything to do with google-android. That being said, I can admire nice functional software when I see it, an IMHO the combination of the MyTvOnline2 app running on a Z8 (which has hopefully been 'de-googled') is a combination of hardware and software that is very capable and useable when married to a good IPTV provider.

I guess that we all use these sorts of devices and applications in a way that we individually choose to do, which is fair enough and all well and good. That said, I don't see the point of bogging-down any device (whatever it maybe) with a load of irrelevant cruft and rubbish that does not perform a valuable function for the user and deliver value of some sort. The Z8 is a well specified and capable device that will of course be capable of running quite a few things before any rough-edges start to show, but it is when all said and done running android which as we all know can be very susceptible when running poorly crafted and un-maintained apps.

• Well, until now, the only downside of the particular box I bought is that it doesn't comes prepared to record shows (or whatever) an be able to change channels while it is recording. Other than that, it goes good

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!