How to work with Python3 in Enigma2

There are 7 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 4,143 times. The last Post () by abu baniaz.

• thanks guys, I already had 6.4 before but the problem is that I would need python 3, 6.4 mounts version 2 of python. is it possible to install version 3 on OpenAtv 6.4? mine is a Vu + SoloSe, so is there openatv 7.0 RC1 image for my Vu +?

• thanks guys, I already had 6.4 before but the problem is that I would need python 3, 6.4 mounts version 2 of python. is it possible to install version 3 on OpenAtv 6.4? mine is a Vu + SoloSe, so is there openatv 7.0 RC1 image for my Vu +?

Code
    opkg update
    opkg install python3

Of course this is possible, but you probably need Python3 as tree inside the Enigma2 core. Not as a stand-alone Python3 interpreter. So installing Python3 will probably not be enough for you.

Enigma2 OpenATV 6.4 is being developed in Python2 ... and not in Python3. But you can install the Python3 interpreter... as I mentioned above.

If you need an Enigma2 distribution, that is being developed in Python3, then use the OpenATV 7.0 (as test version / non-stable yet). But if you need Python3 for your own experiments only, i.e. outside of the Enigma2 source code structure, then it will work.

• thanks a lot for the news.

but don't i have to download python and put it in a tmp example folder? or is it enough just to send that command from telnet? Does it replace version 2 or do I need to uninstall it first?

• I already wrote you how to start the Python3 interpreter :).

I don't want to be stupid with you, but if you don't have IT skills, it will be difficult for you.

First, learn to work with IT in general. Then learn the basics of working with a Linux system. Then learn the principles of Enigma2 algorithms. Finally, learn how Python works and what this Python is.

If you have to ask me how to run Python interpreter, it's very bad and you shouldn't do it at all. You skipped the rough foundations of programming knowledge. It's a big mistake. You will find it very difficult until you have knowledge of the basics of Linux systems, the Python language and the Enigma2 GUI in set-top boxes.

The moderators could (please for it) also separate the last few comments and create a new topic, as this is off-topic. This does not apply to SoftCAM-feed installation, but it is a topic about how to work with Python3 in Enigma2.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!