OScam not finding Phoenix card reader

There are 7 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 5,164 times. The last Post () by s3n0.

• Hello,

I have added the following reader for Phoenix in the OScam server, but it does not show up in the list of readers. The device is visible at /dev/ttyUSB0. What might be the problem?

Box: Formuler F4 turbo, Image: OpenATV

• dreamhost

Changed the title of the thread from “OScam not seeing Phoenix card reader” to “OScam not finding Phoenix card reader”.
  • Open OscamWebif in a web browser and check if your build version supports the reader: FILES -> oscam.version -> "cardreader_phoenix: Yes" and "cardreader_mp35: Yes"

Not each phoenix is the same phoenix. External readers exist today in different types. What type of reader do you own ? Are there any configuration physical switches ? What does an attempt to initialize a reader look like through OscamWebif - LiveLOG ?

The protocol probably does not necessarily have to be "mp35" and the frequency is used I think 6.00 MHz (mhz=600).

• Okay, rebuilt the OScam with phoenix and mp35 enabled. I'm using TBS-3102. Physical switches are set to 5V / Phoenix / 3.579 / Y5(=12MHz).

Code
    0 s phoenix_reader [mp35] creating thread for device /dev/ttyUSB0

0 s waiting for local card init
    6433F8 r phoenix_reader [mp35] mp35_reader_init: started

6433F8 r phoenix_reader [mp35] ERROR: mp35_reader_init returned error
    6433F8 r phoenix_reader [mp35] Cannot open device: /dev/ttyUSB0
  • Use the reader in "Smartcard" mode instead of "Phoenix". Set the frequency to auto-detect (leave the frequency configuration in oscam.server file). As described on the web, the card reader contains an FTDI chip for serial communication, so the reader could operate via the "mouse" protocol. It looks like a classic reader that is produced nowadays.

Configuration examples you can found here:

http://www.streamboard.tv/wiki…B-Mouse_kompatible_Reader

As first, try to set the protocol "mouse":

Code
    [reader]
    label           = reader_ttyUSB0
    protocol        = mouse
    device          = /dev/ttyUSB0
    detect          = cd
    group           = 1

Then, IMHO, as better to use will the protocol "smartreader":

Code
    [reader]
    label           = reader_ttyUSB0
    protocol        = smartreader
    device          = 001:002
    # find out the right value for device, via the Open-Webif: READERS -> Scan USB -> and recognize correct values by reader ID
    group           = 1
  • Yes, protocol 'mouse' works! This is confusing, why does a phoenix reader not work with phoenix protocol (mp35)?

Protocol 'smartreader' doesn't work:

Code
    [smartreader] Cannot open device: 002:002

Tried the physical switch to 'smartmouse' to no avail. Is there any thumb rule to determine phoenix/smartmouse, voltage and frequency?

• This is not a phoenix reader, but a "phoenix compatible" reader. And it just concerns perhaps the dimensions of the box :-D. The original ancient types had the main function of programming (writing and not reading) as the main purpose of use - that is, not for the purpose of sharing DVB decoder cards. Phoenix's original interface I have long seen no one.

For the smartreader, did you use the correct notation and correct values ? I think, the frequency must be sets to 6 MHz (with the physical switch at cardreader) and autodetection also does not work in this case (I'm not sure - I don't use it).

Try the command "lsusb" (if you don't have it, install it: opkg list | grep lsusb, then install: opkg install <package_name>). You'll also find out, like OscamWebif, which USB PID / VID belongs to your reader. If the "lsusb" command or Scan USB (in Oscam Webif) displays some iSerial data, you can also try to set these - that is, the entry "device = Serial:Serialdevicename" is used instead of the entry "device = bus:device". However, this should only work on full-featured Linux (such as Raspberry-Pi) and you have the Enigma platform / OpenATV firmware there (poor Linux). I mean something like this:

Code
    device = Serial:Reader 2
    device = Serial:Reader xx
    device = Serial:Reader some_reader_name

Also try adding the following for smartreader protocol:

Code
    aeskey = 0102030405060708090a0b0c0d0e0f10
  • Because your reader is probably more compatible with Smartreader than Phoenix. It doesn't matter anymore. It's just that the reader communicates with Oscam. Today the same thing is used everywhere. Today is such a time that we cannot talk about phoenix or smargo or smartreader cards. Usually the same FTDI chip is used everywhere and the "mouse" protocol is used everywhere.

The physical switches may only be switched with the reader disconnected from the electricity (USB connector).

I don't remember it anymore, but apparently if you switch the card to Smartreader mode and let it be reconnected in the set-top box, then it will be scanned as an "iSerial" device. After switching it is recommended to reboot the entire set-top box (Linux may tend to recognize the same USB port and device again, but there will be another driver).

OSCam Support Forum

Configs, discussion, downloads and guides for OSCam Softcam.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!