Satellite ID on Linux Based Receivers

There are 8 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 724 times. The last Post () by supwiddiss.

• Hopefully the right section

On most chinabox FTA receivers the satellite identification is shown when a signal is locked.
    Is there a plugin available for Linux receivers that will assist when using a motorized dish?
    Just wondering.

• Official Post

So, no replies. Meaning we don't know if Linux receivers are capable of displaying the sat ID or if firmware cant do it (or no plugins are out there)?

Display where ? When doing what exactly ??

The sat, location, provider and encryption information is on screen....( skin and image dependant )... on all my E2 boxes.

203e2893cb3f7.jpg

e7d555ac47ae.jpg

• Maybe I can granulate and compare what I see on different receivers.
    Lets say on an FTA receiver I have. There may be 2 sats side by side. And they share the same transponders I want to find and peak signal with.
    2 degrees apart. And I use 3720 H, 30000, 2/3. Only an example of course. Again both tp's are the same on both sats.
    On the receiver when I hit sat 1 the receiver says SAT 1 14W LOCKED.

If I am hunting the sat and I happen to hit the one 2 degrees one side or the other the signal screen may say SAT 2 12W LOCKED (or Warpspeed 3 16W LOCKED).
    Therefore with Linux receivers I have you may not know if the sat is the actual sat until you scan it and compare sat charts.
    Made worse in a blindscan. And independent what's in the satellites.xml file.

*What helps me right now is with a steerable dish I know that there are very close to 25 pulses (or counts) per 2 degrees.*
    Counts vary a bit depending on if the dish is at the upper or lower arc.

So something in chinabox receivers is picking out the satellite identification carried in the radio frequency signals.
    And every transponder on that satellite carries the satellite identification code.
    You know the satellite identification before ever doing a channel scan to compare channels on a particular transponder.

Make any sense at all?

• Official Post

Okay i see what your getting at now, i think your looking for signal on non defined satellite using disquet 1.2 (steerable dish)

I have recently had this misfortune myself.....

Therefore with Linux receivers I have you may not know if the sat is the actual sat until you scan it and compare sat charts.

It is therefore important to save each sat position on the e2 receiver, as an lnb. I know this dose not help when actually looking for other "new" sats to add....but once done you go to the exact satellite you require simply by selecting the channel of that satellite.

Please see here:

How to setup Vu+ with VBox II DiSEqC 1.2 Positioner.

Made worse in a blindscan. And independent what's in the satellites.xml file.

Right my first proper blind scan receiver is this octagon sf8008 i have been using for a few weeks now

i have also heard good things about the os mio 4k ( i assume your still using that ?? )

With the blind scan on the sf8008 it will first scan for transponders, it will make a temp sat.xml file for those active transponders in the tmp directory and use that to scan for channels. Far better than using the bog std E2 sat.xml file. (after scanning all your sats those tmp.xml files can be used to produce your own satellite.xml file that is much more accurate......)

I also have the option to "filter out adjacent satellites" up to 3 degrees within the blind scan settings, and that is very useful when sats are close together.

*What helps me right now is with a steerable dish I know that there are very close to 25 pulses (or counts) per 2 degrees.*

That would be very similar to my Primesat Vbox

I have made the assumption that your using something similar, where you have to store each position in the box that drives the ram.....

What are you using ?

Counts vary a bit depending on if the dish is at the upper or lower arc.

You lost me there..... have you got 2 arc's to deal with ?? Are you adjusting the dish elevation as well as east / west ?? On the same dish :head banger:

So something in chinabox receivers is picking out the satellite identification carried in the radio frequency signals.

And every transponder on that satellite carries the satellite identification code.

You know the satellite identification before ever doing a channel scan to compare channels on a particular transponder.

Im not sure what the china box can / cant do, are you saying it is able to scan for non defined satellites ??

Enigma2 cant as far as i am aware with ram / actuator and disquet's as far as i am aware ... ANYONE ??

With usals it can......

I hope i have made some sense here.....:laugh1:

• Dreamlink T5 and a Linkbox 8000.
    If satellites you're trying to dial in on are adjacent to each other and
    happen to have the same frequency, symbol rate, and FEC.
    It doesn't matter if your box settings are for a particular satellite. If you hit the wrong one, the screen will tell you which one it's getting signal on.
    Because that satellite is sending an identification of who it is in the data stream.
    We are familiar with satellites.xml. You could rename each one (sats) differently. Bob, Fred, Louise, Fran.

<sat name="13.0E Hotbird 13B/13C/13E" flags="1" position="130">

Rename it:

<sat name="13.0E BirdTurd on my Windscreen" flags="1" position="130">

And in the dish tuning, signal finder screen on those 2 receivers it would show its real name. Independent of what you name it.

Sorry I thought there may be a plugin.

• Official Post

12 foot :54_002:.............i want one.......But the wife would deffo leave me......

i am still trying to get my head round how it is possible to hit the wrong sat..... once defined and i select a channel with my remote control,

the satellite receiver gives the vbox positioner the correct details ( i set it up with) and drives the dish to the correct location sometimes only half a degree'

For the most part i never touch the vbox positioner unless adding new satellites to its setup.

I guess a good channel list is required to make this happen.

Is this similar to your setup ?

As for a signal finder plugin with the details your after, no i am not aware of anything sorry, and TBH the built in e2 signal finder i find is not very good when dealing with multiple satellites, it sometime shows no signal....when i know it should have signal....i usually just zap to a channel to check for signal on a sat.

But a signal finder like you describe would be handy, for sure.

That is very good indeed.

• Ahhhh. No. Not once defined. During initial setup when the question comes up in your mind (happened to me) "Am I on this sat? Signal is strong. Lets try a scan and see what we get." Only to find out that you're a sat or 2 off.
    Once you get a few located and stored, the rest is just calculations and numbers...without "Vinny". lol!

Diseqc 1.2 is all about numbers. Kind of. Okay, the ASC 1 diseqc comms. are. The E2 box says tell the controller to go to stored position 1, the controller gets a message to go the position 1. If it's currently at stored pos. 5 and that stored position is 505 encoder pulses, and pos 1 is 96, relays kick in and it runs the motor until it gets to 96.

But I do have a dual output lnbf. Using the chinabox alongside the E2 receiver when setting it all up scanning for sats told me 100% that I was on Galaxy 14 and not its neighbor that also uses the same transponder settings.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!