H7S won’t play 4k channel

There are 27 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 3,487 times. The last Post () by gorski.

• I have an IPTV service that broadcasts 4k special events, like last night’s US College Football final, in 2160p/30 resolution. On the Zgemma H7 I got audio but no video. I checked my settings, tried different stream types and it was the same across 3 images (PurE2, OpenATV and OpenVix).

I have played other 4k content in the past with no issue, including other live 4k IPTV channels. The same stream worked fine on my Zgemma H9 Combo, so it wasn’t the stream.

I anticipate it’s a codec issue with the H7. Can anyone point me in the right direction for trying to get an updated codec?

• Official Post

I anticipate it’s a codec issue with the H7. Can anyone point me in the right direction for trying to get an updated codec?

I would imagine your right, but the boxes have completely different chip sets / hardware when comparing the h7 and h9

It may very well be a hardware limit of the chipset, or if we are lucky something the driver team may be able to help with......

Either way it will not be a quick fix.....

What is the actual codec in question ?

Have a look at this thread, particularly the testing files, i never got any more details from that member.....

issues with some file types zgemma h7

• Yeah, I thought of the broadcom vs hisilicon chipset thing as well, but it likely is a codec I think. I would hope it’s not that difficult to fix. Not sure how to get the codec myself but I have reached to see if someone at the service level can help with that info.

• Official Post

Yeah, I thought of the broadcom vs hisilicon chipset thing as well, but it likely is a codec I think. I would hope it’s not that difficult to fix. Not sure how to get the codec myself but I have reached to see if someone at the service level can help with that info.

or if possible record the stream to your HDD, ftp to your computer and upload to the forum, a couple of minutes should be enough

• Some 4k streams work only on HiSil Chipsets, Osmio4k(plus) and Duo4k. Maybe A5, did not check recently. Yes, it is the drivers issue/codec support.

Well, that would be disappointing if it can't be fixed! lol. The H7 is just a better all around box and I like it on my main TV. Although, the Combo does seem to have a slightly crisper picture (as do most Hisilicon chipped boxes, even android), it just doesn't handle all the messing I do with Multiboot and the 12+ IPTV Services I have running through the H7 as well! lol

• Yeah, I thought of the broadcom vs hisilicon chipset thing as well, but it likely is a codec I think. I would hope it’s not that difficult to fix. Not sure how to get the codec myself but I have reached to see if someone at the service level can help with that info.

or if possible record the stream to your HDD, ftp to your computer and upload to the forum, a couple of minutes should be enough

The problem is, the streams are only active during these special events. The next one is the Superbowl on Feb 2nd I think, so could be a while before I can do that.

• I am but a poor amateur but... I have a suggestion re. streaming and this...

Have you tested Service App > 3 options it has?

PurE2 > MENU > Setup > System > Service App:

1) original

2) serviceapp > exteplayer3

3) serviceapp > gstplayer

After you change to another option you must RESTART!

Play around and see, if you haven't already...

I also think H7 is a better all rounder (:beer1:!!!) with one difference: image on my Panasonic UHD TV is second to none! :rasta2bigsmoke0gf1:

Good luck!:thumbup:

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/ets/CCREAD/etscc/kant.html

• P.S. I am just testing HiTube 4K Combo little rec (HiSilicon SoC) with PurE2 v. 6.3 and Ciefp's channel list. At the bottom of his Favourites list there are a MIX of IPTV channels and Original and Exteplayer3 were not playing, for instance, HRT 1 - 4 but GSTplayer did... Then I put it back to Original and it started playing it...

Enigma2 is just that sometimes - an enigma...

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

• Yeah, I tried messing with ServiceApp a bit and nothing helped. Thanks for the suggestion though.

As for picture quality, I'm shocked at just how much sharper the image is on the Combo tbh. I had an H9S a while back and I always thought it had the best pic quality of any box I had used, but the Combo is close. On the new OLED, there's no doubt it's crisper than the H7S is. Not to the point that I'd choose the Combo over the H7 for every day use, but this 4k thing has me doing just that! lol

• I demonstrated to Air Digital guys the difference between Xtrend/ET10K (Broadcom) and Zgemma (HiSIlicon) colours etc. on the same full HD Panasonic 3D TV, with both STBs on default settings only...

They had words with HiSilicon after that and changes to the default settings etc. ensued... It is better now, sure - it's very, very good, yes - but... not so sure as you are... It may be personal, dunno...

• At the moment, until the drivers are updated (and it is not only Zgemma, but Broadcom thingy/issue), 4K streams on H7 are off the table.

That's unfortunate. I know that not all 4k streams are a problem on the H7. One IPTV service I used had some 4k channels that worked really well. This is the first time I've had an issue with any playback. It is what it is. I would hope they eventually get it fixed, but only time will tell.

I demonstrated to Air Digital guys the difference between Xtrend/ET10K (Broadcom) and Zgemma (HiSIlicon) colours etc. on the same full HD Panasonic 3D TV, with both STBs on default settings only...

They had words with HiSilicon after that and changes to the default settings etc. ensued... It is better now, sure - it's very, very good, yes - but... not so sure as you are... It may be personal, dunno...

Very interesting. So, do you feel that the H7 pic quality is as good or better than the Hisilicon boxes? Obviously it's going to be somewhat subjective, but I know a few others...one in particular who has had dozens of boxes (Danny121pt on most forums)...that has made similar comments about Hisilicon boxes and their pic quality and, in particular, the Zgemma H9 series boxes for some reason.

• The answer to this is simple.

Its because the Broadcom chip cannot handle 4K encoded using H264. All 4K H265 streams are fine though.

Only certain boxes not using the Broadcom chip can play 4K encoded using H264, the VU+ Zero 4K being one, and I think the VU+ Duo 4K can too because neither use the Broadcom chip. The rest of the VU+ family of boxes though have the exact same problem that the original poster has with his H7 box.

Ian.

• Very interesting. So, do you feel that the H7 pic quality is as good or better than the Hisilicon boxes? Obviously it's going to be somewhat subjective, but I know a few others...

My setup is Panasonic UHD 50 inch and Denon Home Theatre rec plus Zgemma H7 - superb pic quality... but OK, different people, different perception...

I am not aware of any kind of 'objective measuring' being done, so...

• https://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/vu-zero-4k-tested-for-you.35663/

Broadcom BCM 72604 1.5 GHz dual core 7000 DMIPS ARM v7 CPU

The other one tested here: https://www.vuplus-community.n…o4k-tested-for-you.37840/

Broadcom BCM 7278 2.1 GHz 64bit Quad Core ARM v7 cpu

So, are you absolutely sure about all this?

• Yes.

The reviewed Zero you posted a link to is not the Zero 4k

Only 4K boxes not using the Broadcom processor can handle 4K encoded using H264, all 4K boxes can handle 4K encoded using H265

• Sorry, m8 - wrong link. Corrected.

I also found the test results with specs for the other one.

Both are Broadcom processors. So, the question seems reasonable - are you sure about the things you concluded above?

• Official Post

What is the actual codec in question ?

27999e8c7ed99bb6b.jpg

Codec above. Not sure if that’s helpful or not?

As before, a 2 minute recording would have helped. A screen shot is of no use to me.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!