Can zgemma h7 recognise large usb drive

There are 5 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 926 times. The last Post () by FlexMcMurphy.

• Hello,

I am using an Amiko Alien2 since 2013. It still works ok. For the last few years I have made TV recordings from the Alien2 to an attached 1TB external USB drive. Recently I bought a 4TB usb external drive. I have tried many things but the Alien2 won't recognise it and it's because its PKT Hyperion image is based on the Linux/GNU Kernel 2.6.32.59 which has no EFI/GPT partition support. When I run the #fdisk -l command with the drive connected to the Alien2 I get the message: "fdisk - device has more than 2^32 sectors, can't use all of them" and then i can't mount the drive.

I see the zgemma boxes comes with at least Linux Kernel 4.1.

Question:

Can anyone please test if a zgemma h7 running an enigma2 image such as OpenATV will recognise an attached USB 4TB hard drive? As long as the drive is bigger than 2TiB and formatted with a GPT partition type that's all I need to know. I suppose you could test with an internal drive and that would be the same.

You could run the command # fdisk -l or # fdisk /dev/sdb (or whatever your drive is attached at)

Here is my 4TB drive attached to a Raspberry Pi showing the drive size 3.7TiB and gpt partition type.

d818f74c1bb05b9489d.png

Thank you,

Flex

• Yes.

06070b3a2c1ed9.jpg

Good luck!

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/ets/CCREAD/etscc/kant.html

• Thanks Gorski,

You have a fuseblk file system on that big usb drive and I can't see what is the partition type.

I want to put an EXT4 file system on a GPT partition. This is the set up I need. I would really like to confirm if the Linux OS in the zgemma h7s has compiled support for that partition type. That information could be confirmed with a setting like: CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION=y

There might be a config file in the boot directory and you could use a command something like:

Code
    # cat /boot/config-2.6.37-8-generic | grep "CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION"

Or there may be a compressed archive file in the proc directory and you could use a command something like:

Code
    # sudo zcat /proc/config.gz > Kconfig

.. and then open the file and search for CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION.

Grateful for your help!

Flex

• Hi again,

Sorry to bother you about this!

Did you get any time to try those commands above? I asked someone else who has a H7S and a 4TB usb drive ext4 formatted. When they connected their 4TB drive to the H7S it saw the drive but would not mount it. Now I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't get the H7S after all. If I could confirm that it has CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION support in its kernel would give me confidence to buy it. It's because I need to use the GPT partition type with ext4 filesystem.

Cheers,

Flex

• Just sat down for a few minutes before I have to back to cooking for the family etc.

Sorry, m8, but I think you're going about this the wrong way. (Too stubborn for your own good and therefore stuck for no reason, if you don't mind me saying so too terribly...:rasta2bigsmoke0gf1:)

Surely, it's about the qualities and capabilities of the STB in terms of DVB-S/S2/S2X, as well as DVB-/T2/C, then playback, streaming, support and NOT about a single kernel module....

Btw, some kernel modules can be added after installation, like NTFS but I am not sure about GPT, soooooo...

I have found a GPT USB stick (with Ubuntu on it, FAT32, I think, maybe exFAT, not sure?)...

fe75d.jpg

...and then I converted a USB stick to GPT with EXT4, just for you... (it took a while...)

5b85b0678e88e4.jpg

...which was automounted easily...

7c65a2d582.jpg

OK?!?

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/ets/CCREAD/etscc/kant.html

• master G

Added the Label HDD and USB Support

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!