BIOS Bad sector enabled?

There are 3 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 471 times. The last Post () by emosim.

• Please help me to identify

What actually happens when BIOS flash sector option enabled in the dreambox bios.

I mean what is the technically situation the difference of disable and enable of the option.

Thank you very much

• The box during flashing will recheck all flash memory blocks, good ones and bad ones, and if a block is bad it will write it as bad in the memory allocation table, so next time you f’ash an image it will not allow writting to it (until you reset that option).

Emo

• Thanks for the tip.

Does this checking happens when the option is enabled or disabled. (Usually flash sector recovery is set to disabled in bios, and the meaning is ambiguous for me as of recovery meant, bad sectors if marked already, be recovered and use that space as well to store the flashing image)

In an example, my box got memory errors and have to run with 2013 images. Once flashed 55mb of space is used. However when this option enabled and flashed the image only got 42mb.

So need to understand when the option is enabled, rather than marking bad sectors, does the bios reopen the flash bad sectors which already marked bad. Unless that there is no explanation to me to the newly gained 10mb of flash space.

Appreciate very much if you could shed some light. After all whats best option is the one im after.

Thanks again for your feedback.

• When you enable that option the box opens all sectors and flash image, when it encounterd a bad sector it will mark it bad. if the option is not enabled it will not try to recover bad sectors, it will only mark new bad ones.

Emo

• master G

Added the Label Image Flashing & Backup Support

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!