Q & A re. OpenVPN in (Pur)E2

There are 14 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,688 times. The last Post () by gorski.

• Hello, this is a nice tutorial, that i follow, but... i don´t understand why i can get connection to my personal PiVPN server.
    I made my personal VPN server using PiVPN and PiHole.
    Everything works fine at my laptop, i import the file on GUI of Windows and i get connection and go to web and do my stuff.
    But my E2 STB don't make nothing... could anyone help me ?

I'm using PurE2 image, updated.
    And PiVPN personal server.

EDITED BY GORSKI

This thread is for posts which are Q & A from here: PROTECT YOUR STB WITH SURFSHARK VPN SERVICE - so ask away in this thread, please....

The thread I just mentioned - which is in the Stickies - will be kept for information only, thanx....

• No idea, sorry. No idea of the personal server OR what exactly you are doing, since you didn't give us any details, ergo can't help you....

If and/or when you succeed, make sure you give us the little tutorial here, so others can do it, too - if interested... ;)

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/ets/CCREAD/etscc/kant.html

• Nice writeup gork.
    I have been using expressvpn on my router for 2 months now. Worth looking into.
    They have router firmware for many models. I chose the openvpn route. My whole LAN is protected.
    They give you usage on up to 5 devices with the app also. So you can take it with you.
    And different profiles for locations that work the best for you.
    Worth looking into.

• Hey Gorski, I have a nord vpn account & Mio 4k pure2 6.3, Is the nordvpn ovpn file edited exactly the same as a surkshark file (client.conf),

In openvpn setup I press green & get can get it "current status: running/green" but once I exit it goes back to stopped/red or if I press yellow/auto start current status goes back to stopped/red same if i press blue/show log it also stops.

any ideas where i go wrong?

• Nevermind I got it working now,

I got a little mixed up and I should of been following Atari's tutorial for Nordvpn with Openvpn

• There could be 2 points of difference:

1) username/password, from what I can see (in NordVPN you use the same ones you chose when you registered)- that file can be called login, for instance or whatever...

2) they may have the third (crt?) file, where their keys are (like Vanish, a post above your - you have the difference right there...).

In such a case one must show the path to the third keys file in config file, as described above in some detail, with plenty of images...

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

• Hi Gorski,

any suggestion to install PureVPN with 6.5 image?

I tried purevpn1.0.1_all.ipk but to installation end.

Thanks for your suppor

Ciao

Gliuliano

Box Zgemma H7S

Pure 6.5

Giuliano

Zgemma H7S

• Hi friend... I see 2 options: openvpn and VPN Manager plugin. In your opinion, tell me the best...

and, using VPN manager, why we need put external device?

Thx.

Dream Two, h9sSE/h9s/h9 twin, sf8008/sx88/sx88+, Osmini4k, Gt-Media v8UHD/GTC/v9prime/v8xs/m7x/finder2, Amiko SHD 8900, Vu Zero/Zero 4K, Mecool K1/K2/K3, Azamerica s2015, Nazabox Xgame, Koqit K1 mini, TBS 5520se/5925/6922se/6903x, Openbox X5/S9, AZBOX TITAN twin/Premium+/Elite, Rasp Pi/pi3/pi4, t95 max+, Freesky Triplo X, Orange Pi PC, Coolsat 5000, Dm528s, DM800se, Satlink 6933/6960/6932, Mygica S270, Pixelview PlayTV . Motorized 5m - C band(20ºE - 116.8ºW), Motorized 1,80m - KU band

• In the related thread, in the Stickies:

Post no. 5 tells you how to get OpenVPN Manual details from your Surfshark account.

Post no. 6 has all the info you need.

Post no. 8 has the current version of VPN Manager.

P.S. What external device?

• External device: USB, mSd...

Dream Two, h9sSE/h9s/h9 twin, sf8008/sx88/sx88+, Osmini4k, Gt-Media v8UHD/GTC/v9prime/v8xs/m7x/finder2, Amiko SHD 8900, Vu Zero/Zero 4K, Mecool K1/K2/K3, Azamerica s2015, Nazabox Xgame, Koqit K1 mini, TBS 5520se/5925/6922se/6903x, Openbox X5/S9, AZBOX TITAN twin/Premium+/Elite, Rasp Pi/pi3/pi4, t95 max+, Freesky Triplo X, Orange Pi PC, Coolsat 5000, Dm528s, DM800se, Satlink 6933/6960/6932, Mygica S270, Pixelview PlayTV . Motorized 5m - C band(20ºE - 116.8ºW), Motorized 1,80m - KU band

• Better, yes, preferably one with no moving parts.

Easy to restore everything when you have to reinstall the image... ;)

• I'm testing now surfshark...

• Dream Two, h9sSE/h9s/h9 twin, sf8008/sx88/sx88+, Osmini4k, Gt-Media v8UHD/GTC/v9prime/v8xs/m7x/finder2, Amiko SHD 8900, Vu Zero/Zero 4K, Mecool K1/K2/K3, Azamerica s2015, Nazabox Xgame, Koqit K1 mini, TBS 5520se/5925/6922se/6903x, Openbox X5/S9, AZBOX TITAN twin/Premium+/Elite, Rasp Pi/pi3/pi4, t95 max+, Freesky Triplo X, Orange Pi PC, Coolsat 5000, Dm528s, DM800se, Satlink 6933/6960/6932, Mygica S270, Pixelview PlayTV . Motorized 5m - C band(20ºE - 116.8ºW), Motorized 1,80m - KU band

• gorski

Added the Label Networking Support
  • "Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

• Il_Burocrate asked (in the wrong thread):

Vpn Manager plugin has a bult-in kill-switch feature?

Answer: not that I can see...

PurE2 Team Images Support Forum ~ based on OE-Alliance

PurE2 Supported Models ~

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!