USALS LNB - Standard Worked Universal Doesn't Work

There are 28 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,228 times. The last Post () by gorski.

• Official Post

I'll keep plugging away at this for sure and let you know when/if I succeed. I just find it hard to believe that when all I presumably had to do is replace the LNB and change LOF settings. Changing LOF frequencies should not affect stab HH motor movement. Its a question of time before I figure it out.

Thanks for everyone's help.

There is an old issue, that i thought had been fixed with a driver update, where by if some universal LNB's were used the motor would not move if USALS was used......it was fine with diseqc with all LNB's

But as i say i believe it was fixed a few years back with a driver update.

If it was me, I would try just to setup a couple of sats using a diseqc setup to see if indeed the motor then moves.

• Yes, I read something about that and will be giving DiSEqC a try. The thing though is that I had USALS working just fine with a standard LNB with LOF/L=10750, LOF/H=10750 and Threshold=11700... that's why I thought if I change to a universal LNB, I should just have to change the LOF frequencies to 9750 and 10600 (as per LNB manufacturer) and it would just work. We'll see what happens with further troubleshooting.

• Thanks tromo for your input. Things are looking up. I switched to tuner B and I'm able to scan manually and blind scan with universal LNB tuner settings. I'll report back in a few days after I have conclusive findings.

• Aaaahhhh, frequently it's an obvious thing like that.... ;)

Could you try the post no. 18 then?

Cheers!

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/ets/CCREAD/etscc/kant.html

• Hello Gorski, I tried tromo's suggestion but no luck. My tuner A will not work. I have a good xml file and I'm able to manual scan and blind scan with tuner B so maybe my tuner A failed in some way. I have snow on the roof now so I think I'll just settle on using my B tuner for the winter. Thanks for your help everyone.

• Several obvious Qs...

1) Is your LNB:

-single LNB (one cable coming out of it)

-Twin or dual LNB (2 cables coming into the house)

-QUAD or Quattro LNB (4 cables coming out of it)?

2) Do you have a cable in each DVB/S tuners or just one (and you are moving it around)?

3) Try redoing the connector at both ends, just in case, on all cables.

4) Unplug all other USB devices from your Zgemma H7.

5) Try a different LNB with which it worked before.

6) Scanning doesn't have to be blind, if you have a good xml with all the TPs.

7) Did you try using a professional to set it up? They usually have instruments to remove the obvious obstacles...

Good luck!

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

• 1) Is your LNB:

-single LNB (one cable coming out of it), Yes

-Twin or dual LNB (2 cables coming into the house), No

-QUAD or Quattro LNB (4 cables coming out of it)?, Old LNB yes, new LNB No

2) Do you have a cable in each DVB/S tuners or just one (and you are moving it around)?, One cable moving from tuner A to B

3) Try redoing the connector at both ends, just in case, on all cables. Connectors are good. I use cable and connectors from a cable TV company I work for.

4) Unplug all other USB devices from your Zgemma H7., No other USB devices attached

5) Try a different LNB with which it worked before. My new universal LNB works fine

6) Scanning doesn't have to be blind, if you have a good xml with all the TPs., I understand, I have a good xml, I scan manually and blind scan

7) Did you try using a professional to set it up? They usually have instruments to remove the obvious obstacles... I have 33 years experience in radio and telecommunications in various roles. I have a very good understanding of how to install, setup and troubleshoot the hardware. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a spectrum analyser or oscilloscope these days to troubleshoot with but I have isolated the problem to tuner A.

Whether the problem is hardware related or firmware/software related is not known. What I do know is tuner A does not work and tuner B does with the same xml, config settings and hardware (connector, coax, stab motor, LNB and dish).

I appreciate your suggestions and how much you are trying to help. I'll settle on the fact that it works on tuner B and maybe try looking deeper into it over the winter as time permits. I'll report any new findings that will be helpful to others.

Thanks again

• OK but this is all a bit scholastic (see, if you are only using one tuner - why does it matter which one works, so long as one does work?) and I feel silly asking these basic questions, since you are an experienced guy, well versed in the topic...

But since you are asking it would be impolite not to cover all the possibilities... So, let's see if the HW is kaput/dead...

At my end it looks like this...

TUNER A CONFIGURATION

I have the same situation in one of my stations, at home: my H9 Twin (2 x DVB-S/S2X tuner) has only 1 cable and I have to remember which one is the default one (the one toward the middle of the box).

So, as an experienced lad I presume you tried it all as follows:

1) MENU > Setup > Service searching > Tuner configuration (one which works is configured as "Tuner A" in my situation - but the other one ("Tuner B") is NOT CONFIGURED > save when done.

-Now, go to > Signal Finder - if you get the signal note down the settings in Tuner A, then

-go out, all the way and - you have the picture...

2) Go back to "tuner configuration" menu and disable the working tuner (NOT CONFIGURED) > Save > go out all the way and put the receiver into Standby using your RCU.

3) Change/swap the cable i.e. put the cable into the other tuner and

TUNER B CONFIGURATION

4) repeat the step no. 1, i.e. configure the tuner B the same way as Tuner A, which you know works, then Save/OK...

Do you now get the signal in Signal finder, the same level as in Tuner A? Like so:

b90530c71f2311450be4c6b9f.png

If you do have the signal, the same way as in Tuner A, your HW is well functioning, of course...

If not...

CHANGE THE LNB, I.E. PUT THE ONE YOU KNOW WORKS WELL

5) One should logically ask a the following question, that should show us if the HW/tuner is dead: if you now put back the otherwise working LNB > Tuner B also works, i.e. you have the signal in both tuners, with a different LNB?

Curious to see the outcome... If you do get the signal in both tuners only with one of the LNBs - it's a mystery....

PREFERRED TUNER SETTING WHEN RECORDING

P.S. Have you noticed: MENU > Setup > System > Recording settings > Preferred tuner for recording, in case you have 2 cables going to your box and both have the signal but you want to make sure you can watch something on Tuner A, while recording on Tuner B? Just mentioning... ;)

Forum USA LinuxSat

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!