Why all of the popular enigma2 images use Linux Kernel 4.1 or older, Linux Kernel 5.9 stable already released.

There are 6 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,401 times. The last Post () by brisel.

• I installed the ubuntu 20 for test new hardware, the Kernel 5.x can load the drivers automatically

51530ddece6d8a87c44ad.jpg

you don't need do anything

My astrometa 2018 version demodulate use SONY D2837ER chip can be recognized by 5.x kernel

a7df681d.jpg

I believe some of you use MyGica T230 devices and they also have many version, like T230C and T230C2, this two use different step of si2168, current popular image can't support it like most common OpenATV and BlackHole.

a14d7decf2020e.jpg

Now, above pic show 5.x kernel support different version of si2168 firmware, but why OpenATV and BlackHole and many other images still stay 4.1x kernel?

Recent days OpenATV & BlackHole update several version but not include kernel update.

Big Confused!

• the kernel in a receiver, is the one part... which is in dependency with drivers (of the receiver).

so the manufacturer, has to release drivers (closed source part) for the receiver, to support newest kernels...

so, in a receiver, all images are using the latest supportet kernel from drivers (sometimes a few teams are using older, for better stability).

and also... there are receivers, which running in newest kernels (for example edision 4K family is supports 5.8.0 )

• OK, thanks for your information.

I can understand some manufacturer wants they receiver work stably, because not all of user are sat-holic, even holics are just a few people.

but the OpenATV are support many different brand receivers, they should support more, and also OpenATV are facing sat-holic users. they should do more catch they newest kernel and support more usb-dvb-tuners devices

still a little confused..

• If you think enigma2 STBs are 100% open source then you're wrong.

Only RaspberryPi is like you want, open source with the freedom of choosing kernel versions.

Most enigma2 STBs are using Broadcom or HiSilicon and they won't allow manufacturers to publish their sources.

Enigma2 manufacturers must sign NDAs to keep driver sources private so image makers should rely on what they get from the manufacturers not the kernel.org

We could compile all the drivers but not the main drivers related to the SoCs.

If you want to have a nice STB with latest kernel you could buy Edision 4K which has kernel 5.9 but who knows maybe the next year you see them vanish from the scene.

Vu+ for example is well known for being lazy, they won't even respond to the emails about bugs.

• Thanks for your answer, it made me clear.

Also received bad news from you, I bought a Vu+ UNO 4K SE..the official image is too simple..have to and must to change the third-party images.

I am not the open source fan, if user can change more the stability can not guaranteed.

• How important is it that enigma2 has the latest kernel, gstreamer, drivers and python? Which of these should always be the latest that exists? I want to start e2 on the old device and when I put the latest image (ATV for example) it works abnormally slow. Should we pay attention to all this and what is most important for C$S% on e2?

Enigma2 DVB - FBC - USB Tuners

Enigma2 Tuners. Articles, Downloads and Support for DVB-S2 Tuners, DVB-S2X Tuners, DVB-C/T2 Tuners, DVB-C USB Tuners, DVB-T/T2 USB Tuners, DVB-T/T2/C USB Tuners, FBC Tuners, and Tuner Drivers.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!