Which VPN is best for adding to a Router

There are 9 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 823 times. The last Post () by Iceman123.

• I've read that ExpressVPN works well on routers, but as I have never used it before it's hard to determine if what I have heard is more hyped up marketing rather than genuine feedback on the product.

Then there's NordVPN which apparently is a manual setup on the router and does not have an app for mobile device to allow for VPN configuration on the router like ExpressVPN.

Torgaurd, I have no idea about apart from what I've seen on youtube.

All 3 providers have their fair share of criticism on Trustpilot so that makes me wonder if it's all about their marketing strategy rather than a good service that's offered which makes them popular.

Is there a VPN provider that should always be considered 1st?

• It depends on a modem/router - which types of encryption it supports, does it have a powerful HW, multi core processor, HW support for AES-NI needed for OpenVPN or perhaps IKEv2? OpenVPN can seriously reduce your speed if modem is not strong/powerful enough!

In principle, my advice is use Surfshark (if your STB can support it) - have it in every box/device as a plugin/addon separately, to use as needed, change a server whenever needed etc. etc.

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/ets/CCREAD/etscc/kant.html

• Do you always ask the same question on multiple forums ? Do you not trust us here ??

I do trust the information provided but like searching for anything, you may receive different opinions. The idea is to possibly go with the general consensus if it's something you've been unsure about. So yes, I do trust Linuxsat.

• It depends on a modem/router - which types of encryption it supports, does it have a powerful HW, multi core processor, HW support for AES-NI needed for OpenVPN or perhaps IKEv2? OpenVPN can seriously reduce your speed if modem is not strong/powerful enough!

In princile, my advice is use Surfshark (if your STB can support it) - have it in every box/device as a plugin/addon separately, to use as needed, change a server whenever needed etc. etc.

I received my Asus RT-AC86U yesterday which I believe supports some if not all of what you mentioned. Surfshark hey. I came across that name once yesterday but I think there wasn't much info on it. I'll look into info on that now. Thanks for that.

• All you need is right here: PROTECT YOUR STB WITH SURFSHARK VPN SERVICE

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/ets/CCREAD/etscc/kant.html

• I have expressvpn on my Lynksis router..

It works well, and so it should as I payed a lot of money for it....

Not sure what to do when it comes to renewal as I really like the router vpn way....

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!