Have any Mecool K5 | Support

There are 40 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 11,308 times. The last Post () by zozman.

• Please, it is possible to install openATV or

OpenPLi, for example, on an sd-card or into a system, something like in linox receivers? Well thank you.

• Hi, I have this media player and there are couple off issues I've encountered, perhaps someone else has also dealt with them.

- First problem is that when in DTV app starting to record and then switching to another app, the recording stops. Going into settings and turning off battery optimization doesn't help, actually it makes the app unstable. Has someone else had this issue with this STB or any other and how did you solve it? I presume this is more off a android issue that makes the app going into stand by.

- Another issue that I've noticed is, I'm using inexpensive remote control for my LG tv and the remote is also sending signals to STB. When turning the tv off or on, STB is playing the video in KODI or Youtube very slow without sound. Unfortunately the remote doesn't seem to have any built in buttons that would resume normal playback. Only way to solve this, besides to restart the STB, is to switch to DTV app and then back at KODI or youtube and it has then normal playback. It seems that the media player is programmed with codes for LG tv but I can't figure out what signal it is sending. Tried to go around this by enabling HDMI CEC, it works, but KODI goes into stand by when powering off tv (because the android also goes into stand by) and I cannot resume playback where I've left right away.

- And last issue is when turning on the tv and switching to DTV app, sometimes it has black screen or only a small fraction of a pictures. It helps by going back to android menu, or any android app and switching back to DTV (more than one try sometimes). I've tested this with another LG tv and everything is the same, so no issue with the tv. Hope someone has some experience with this and to point me into the right direction, I appreciate any suggestions to solve this (just please no suggestion "simply buy another STB").

Edited once, last by daniell2: For better reading, organized issues ().

• Ok, thanks everyone who provided the links for the 4pda.ru site at the beginning. After searching the forum, I managed successfully to make root of the STB. So to confirm, rooting works. The problem with the remote is also solved by editing files in the root system for the tv remote configuration. I will also provide all the steps, including the files which I downloaded from the russian site. Notice: all the steps and files are not from me, all the credits goes to the members at 4pda.ru. Also warning: I am not responsible for any possible damage that may happen to your STB by following this steps and/or links. Everything here is at your own responsibility.

So here are the steps:

Requirements pre rooting:

First download everything from this link. This steps are for the 1028 update. Make local OTA update (1028 file), then go to rooting steps. On the 4pda.ru there are also steps for the original stock rom, there is also the possibility according to member posts that the 1126 update can also be used with this magisk, however I didn't try it so don't know if it works. If you are interested for the latest rom, you need to check the russian forum (and use google translate like I did, if you don't speak russian :) . Also if something goes wrong, on the forum are stock roms for flashing (didn't try, everything went fine the first try).

Magisk root for K5

1. Put everything you downloaded into usb, plug it into STB, also plug in mouse controller (because TWRP doesn't respond to tv remote). Install MagiskManager-v7.5.1.apk, then go to android settings/applications/Magisk app and give storage permissions

2. Enter recovery menu (steps are further down below)

3. Go to Apply update from ext, apply update from u-boot (usb disk). Load TWRP zip file. There go to install. First you need to install magisk_patched+1028.img file, select it and it will ask what type it is. Select boot. After that restart STB. Perhaps after restarting you will be again in the recovery menu, just restart gain. After that you should be booting into regular android os. There again launch the Magisk app, give every permission that it asks you. It should reboot automatically after that.

4. If everything went fine, you have root. You can check it by installing one of the root checking apps from the google play store.

LG remote fix

1. Enter the recovery menu

2. Launch the TWRP file like in step 3 for the rooting

3. Go to install. Select FIX_LG_new.zip and install it. After that restart and boot normally into android. Now everything should work ok and there shouldn't be interference between the STB - TV - remote

Now this is also from the russian forum. The first option worked for me. I will leave everything from google translate except little bit change in the first one to make it look better. The other two options I didn't try.

Recovery menu

Options for entering the recovery menu:

1. Remove power from STB (pull out the power supply from the outlet or remove the power plug from the STB). Hold the Power button on the STB and while still holding the power button, plug the STB back into power outlet. Wait for the Mecool logo to appear on the tv, release the Power button, wait for the appearance of the recovery menu. That's it, you are in the recovery menu.

This is pure google translate:

2. Boxing in working condition - we execute the Reboot command and when the power indicator goes out, we begin to intensively press the Power button on the remote control , when the Mecool logo appears on the screen, stop pressing the button, wait for the recovery menu to appear.

3. Boxing in the off state - briefly press the Power button on the remote and again, we begin to intensively press the Power button on the remote control, when the Mecool logo appears on the screen, stop pressing the button, wait for the recovery menu to appear.

Updated links:

Here are the links for the stock rom which includes files for rooting, link for the newest ota update, and also some other things I found (samba server and cpu temp )

Edited 2 times, last by daniell2: Updated links ().

• Ok, just an update. I updated the latest firmware 1126 and rooting still works. Unfortunately regarding the LG fix, after a while I found out that the remote is still interfering with STB (even on the 1028 firmware). However, also noticed that this happens only if launching the DTV app, so if you for example have youtube app on and then turn off the tv (without the dtv app launched), and turning it back on, no interference (sound is on). Still the buttons that interfere even without launching the DTV app are the down page button to change the channel on the tv. The button that interferes with the DTV app is the power off button and sometimes I noticed when pressing it, the number 8 is displaying on STB (noticed that while not applying the fix). Possible changes to the remote of the STB are at /vendor/etc/remote_vs_conf. I successfully managed to changed the browser button to show youtube. According to the russian forum, at the /vendor/usr/keylayout/Vendor_0001_Product_0001.kl could be the file to finally stop the interference with the remote. Warning: I edited the Vendor_0001_Product_0001.kl file and the remote almost completely stopped working. Only by flashing again the firmware or using a backup made it work again. Without flashing, the remote didn't work again even when changing the codes to prior state or using the backup of the file. remote_vs_conf file seems safe to edit. I've encountered no problems editing it. Also by looking at the Vendor_0001_Product_0001.kl file, was able to enter the required code for youtube in the remote_vs_conf file. At the location /vendor/etc/remote.tab1, the file contains the code 0xfb04 and according to the russian site, this code is making the problem with lg. Also custom codes written in tab2 and tab3 were also mentioned to cause problems (unrelated to the LG remote). If I have any more info, will post it here and also appreciate if anyone discovers how to fix the LG remote problem that he/she shares the solution here.

• I have a problem with the Mecool k5 DTV-S2 tuner. As soon as I turn it on, it freezes and appears on the screen "Dtv isn't responding, Close app or wait. I also can't rotate the antenna with it. I have also the MECOOL K2 pro, and it is working perfect on the same antenna. Any help? Thx

• Update 1:

CoreElec is available for mecool K5. Unfortunately, dvb tuner is not working so this is only for regular media playback suitable.

Note: all credits goes to the people at https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/mecool-k5-coreelec/13260/33 and also the russian forum https://4pda.to/ where I initially found the reference.

Instructions:

1. Download corelec from website: https://coreelec.org/ or https://github.com/CoreELEC/CoreELEC/releases/

The file to download should be 19.2-Matrix_rc2 (Stable) generic

2. Burn the image file onto usb or sd card

3. Open the usb and go to device_trees and find file sm1_s905x3_2g
    Copy the file into main directory

4. Turn off mecool and plug out off power. In order to boot into CoreElec the same procedure must be done as to boot into recovery. So press power on button on mecool and plug again into power. Wait for the splash screen on the tv (my sd card reader has blinking so I know that it is being read).

5. There you should just follow the instructions and recovery method is needed to enter coreelec every time

Update 2:

Also wanted to share how I managed to unbrick my mecool and also to revert to the old initial firmware (0828). After unsuccessful attempts to revert back to initial firmware (to fix the LG remote problem), ended up with a bricked media player. Couldn't boot into recovery, also regular boot wasn't available. To solve the issue, the solution for coreelec gave me a hint.

As before, fair warning that all of this is at you own risk, there is no guarantee that it will work as intended.

Instructions:

1. Download any of the official OTA updates, but they must be in .zip not .img format

2. Open the zip archiver and extract everything into an empty sd or usb card. At the same time put the same .zip file onto another usb or sd card.

3. The same procedure to enter the recovery partition, first put the usb with extracted files into stb, then power it on and it should show you the recovery bootloader

4. Now put another sd or usb card with the zip file into mecool. Go to update over sd or EXT and simply choose the zip file, update

5. If everything goes as planned you should have a working again mecool

Note: for downgrading the firmware you need to have the same version or newer on both usb cards. That is because every time I've tried to update to older version (normal, usual way before bricking the player) it would give an error, saying the installed version is newer.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!