Signal

There are 10 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,356 times. The last Post () by regenold.

• I have ~9 to 11 db signal to noise with ber of 1.5e-04 to 1.5e-03 on astra 28.2
    Strength ~ 65% with quality between 40 and 50% (On a meter)
    Am wondering if my signal could be a problem for the box? Does anyone have figures I could compare with.
    The box displays 84% strength and 74% quality for all astra channels.
    Not sure what to make of it. Percentages arent much good unless you're comparing the same scale so seems like the right place to post.

• 80's and 90's on what, the openbox? I did actually realign my dish over the weekend, that's where I got my figures from. So I don't think my problem is that. Though I now have to decide whether I move my dish or get out the chainsaw as there is a lovely tree which must be just now getting in the way of me and my movies and sport. Cheers, for the feedback. I only realised how big the tree had gotten when I was up on the ladder looking over at it, but guess that's the problem if my signal is below par, the dish is in good nick and the lnb is fairly new and the readings out of all 4 sockets were fairly consistent which I take as a good sign.
    Though my Sky boxes and FTA box have been running glitch free.

• I own a Openbox s9 mate! On some satellites i get a verry low signal strenth aswell! Had the quality as low as 30%! The numbers come from the Openbox and not a meter! Picture still clears for me tho!
    Just think with it being a new box the firmware isnt quite there yet! Getting better each release tho!

• hi i know what it is its the satalite there must be some thing in the way it happened to me i had to cut the tree next to it now i get 93% and hi quality

• I own a Openbox s9 mate! On some satellites i get a verry low signal strenth aswell! Had the quality as low as 30%! The numbers come from the Openbox and not a meter! Picture still clears for me tho!
    Just think with it being a new box the firmware isnt quite there yet! Getting better each release tho!

hi i know what it is its the satalite there must be some thing in the way it happened to me i had to cut the tree next to it now i get 93% and hi quality

• The crux of the matter is that percentage values are fairly useless as a 40% on a high quality receiver could be the same as 80% on a poor quality receiver. This is why I posted in this section. Would be interested if anyone had db readings for and BER, but I'm not sure of the units for BER but I guess it is % of bits that need correcting which would be independent of receiver.

Thanks for the feedback.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!