Pure2 keeps rebooting

There are 40 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,733 times. The last Post () by KiddaC.

• gorski

Well thats the longest reply I have ever seen in my live.

No war here, just observations thats all.

Yes I offered to create you an alternative skin, I started, but your code seemed too embedded into estuary, so didn't have the time to look into it any further as like your team, I am a one man band doing a million things at once. I thought it would be a quick project it wasn't to be. Like you say, we are all very busy bees with various life and health issues. And I am aware from your previous posts how some of your team are now busy with other things in life.

They real question is though.. is your image built on the core of oa-alliance where existing plugins and skins work on it.

Or are you now just a splinter group doing your own separate thing. And I am not referring to all your great ideas for fnc plugins. Just talking generally.

You personally, constantly comment about dreambox being closed group and to quote you "NOT being open to the community can bite you in the arse..."

So basically all I am asking, is what direction is pure2 going. The dreambox way, or the oe-alliance community way.

Have a nice day, and keep up the good work ;)

** A person who feels appreciated will always do more than what is expected **

• I just had a quick chat with Delfi and he tells me nothing has changed, OE-A skins others made should be working OK.

I mean, not as well as Estuary, obviously, as it is big and loaded with possibilities, doing all sorts of things but...

One mustn't delete Estuary, you are right, those libs will be needed but...

So, it's a bit of a mystery...

As for the length of my reply: I find it's easy to misunderstand one another - unless we make a proper effort... That's why I prefer to talk concretely, as otherwise it is easy to misunderstand each other, starting from wrong premises, talking in generalities, abstractly...

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/ets/CCREAD/etscc/kant.html

• Well to get back on track about what this post was originally about, there is an issue somewhere with either my skins and compatibility with pure2 or there is an issue with the OP users setup on pure2.

I am off work today. So will have a quick play and report any observations where possible.

• Official Post

I just had a quick chat with Delfi and he tells me nothing has changed, OE-A skins others made should be working OK.

I mean, not as well as Estuary, obviously, as it is big and loaded with possibilities, doing all sorts of things but...

That's good news, i personally use my own mod of a very old OE novum based skin, it has some pure2 screens missing and defaults to estuary when on them,...In debug mode there is several skin errors , but i never get a crash directly from my hacked to death skin mod. .....

i use other OE skins with out issue like the steampunk one (the name of i cant recall right now)

I would say at least 98% of the UK based users will be using KiddaC skins (it is also popular in Spain & Italy) so it will be great if they could be used again, although i dont remember having any issue with Onyx when i last tried....

• Like you say Jensen, lots of UK users use either mine or chab's sky or virgin look skins.

I think I would have probably been informed by now if there was a massive crashing problem on a particular image.

But this conversation died as soon as my skin was noticed in the users log. It might not even be my skin that is the issue.

I don't know yet. We will see.

• Looking at the users crash log, personally I think he has ran out of memory/disk space until I can check further.

Maybe epg.dat is set to save internally and not external source.

Maybe user has no usb drive plugged in and therefore internal is being overwhelmed

not enough diskspace for timeshift! (less than 1GB)

there isn't actually any skin error mentioned in that log.

• OK test over.

My skins still work perfectly fine on pure2 with no crashes at all. All screens, all epgs, channel select etc.

Obviously FNC and pure2 only screens are not skinned and fallback to estuary with my sky font.

So carrspaints Things to check.

A usb drive will be required to save EPG data / timeshift data etc. Ideally turn off timeshift. It slows down your box.

EPG data needs to be set to save to external (especially if using IPTV - which most people are nowadays)

Also no harm in setting up a swap file on usb to help with memory load and also download and activate cacheflush.

If installing my skins, you need to install the shared component IPK first as found on all my skin threads. Then install the main skin file.

It shouldn't allow skin to be installed without the shared components anyway. Unless you uncompressed the ipk and manually copied it over.

In which case its going to crash when the infobar loads as its missing the custom components.

My job is done here. There doesn't seem to be a skin error, there doesn't seem to be pure2 error. (or there isn't on my vu zero 4k build)

We can all get back to what we were doing.

:29_002:

How to get out of your boot loop. Delete my skin folder /usr/share/enigma2/slyk-1080-r19

change skin back to estuary.
    Fix any of the above things mentioned.
    Re-install the slyk skin in the correct way via the IPK. Shared components, then the skin.

And if you still got issues, re-flash your box and try again. Because a correct setup, everything is working
    And if you not to sure how to setup your box. I have an openatv guide here that can be used as reference for all oe-alliance builds including pure2. This is how I always setup my barebone builds. Just ignore the openatv install bit, and follow on from there.
    OpenATV setup guide by KiddaC

• He can't, not at his level of IT skills, I think.

He is using USB stick expansion of root, instead of mSD card, which would be better, less complications. But as a principle, he should listen to us, first so he can learn - play comes later....

FWIW: not sure if this would work but worth a try...

If one makes 2 partitions on a USB stick, using

-one for root expansion and

-the other as HDD (recording, timeshift, EPG etc.)?

Must make them on a PC in EXT4 format!

Try and tell...

No need for SWAP! And no need for cacheflush, etiher.

Because 1GB RAM is OK, really... Cache is useful...

(Now, I am repeating what I was taught by Delfi/tromo... ;)

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/ets/CCREAD/etscc/kant.html

• KiddaC  gorski  jenseneverest

nice that we could all solve this peacefully here.

we all want to help the community as best we can, whether noob or pro everyone can still learn. That shouldn't be an attack on the good slyk skin at the beginning the user didn't mention that he was using an alternative skin.

after a quick log evaluation one catches the eye and to help one should start clean to narrow it down, therefore no suggestions to flash again.

KiddaC
    I was also able to find out that there is a memory problem and that overloading occurs

which shouldn't happen with hs9 unless you have accepted that too much data is written into the flash (epg) for example.

I myself know your skin very well and had already activated it for use without any problems, even with ViX, it does very well but I would always recommend using the main skin for us to solve problems if there are other things the user has to do take action himself He gets enough suggestions.

I thank you for the factual discussion maybe we should talk more about the devs, coder even if you have little time the platform is given for it with great knowledge here. :shake:

:goodevening:

• Great to hear .atari. that you have the box in a decent shape. For H9, I guess, gorski is more capable to give you a sound advice. Apropos memory/RAM greediness, most of the boxes are rather happy with what they've got, BUT, sometimes, when you do a lot of testing and try a bunch of plugins one after another, there could be a memory management problem that is not usually experienced in a normal operations mode.

• Hi all. I thought I should provide a courtesy update given the time and effort you have all put into this thread. Thank you for those efforts.

I gave Pure2 one last try a week ago after picking up the toys I had thrown out the cot. Fresh Pure2 install. Loaded all the required plugins including some FNC, then installed KiddaC's skin again. (It is a great skin, honest) Anyway, a week later and the box is running like a Ferrari on steroids. No crashing, everything operating like a finely tuned Swiss clock. I haven't bothered with a USB or mem card, EPG is saved internally. I can add later if needed, but I'm not planning on any additional plugin additions. I have more than enough IPTV to keep me entertained.

I backed up this image a week ago and installed it on 2nd box and that too has been running fine, and with KiddaC's skin. Appreciate this is all going against most recommendations here but t is working, and working well. That's all I wanted. Simple ITPV & Sat with a GUI that looks good and is user friendly. I know my old man will be chuffed when he gets this for Xmas, he is currently using an old Zgemma Star H2 that is slow & just struggles.

Again, thank you all for your support.

• Official Post

@carrspaints

Thanks for the update, my only recommendation is you add a storage device for epg data, i wont go into details as already it has been discussed before .

• Noted. I'll pick up a couple of USB or micro cards from Currys over the weekend. The two USBs I have I suspect are fake Chinese ones off eBay. They state 16GB, but they won't take more than 3.8GB. Thanks for the advice :thumbup::thumbup:

• Official Post

Noted. I'll pick up a couple of USB or micro cards from Currys over the weekend. The two USBs I have I suspect are fake Chinese ones off eBay. They state 16GB, but they won't take more than 3.8GB. Thanks for the advice :thumbup::thumbup:

yeah fleabay cheap sticks are crap mate, nice one

• carrspaints and just because we all had a little war around your question, don't be put off asking future questions.

We were arguing amongst ourselves not directed at you. ;)

And from your response above, I will come to the assumption that your box was trying to write to a usb block that didn't exist because of the fake usb size.

It gets said over and over again on satellite forums not to trust ebay usb sticks on sat boxes. Pay a little more from a trusted source like pc world or currys.
    Stick with reputable brands like sandisk and kingston for usbs that live in your box.
    At least you guaranteed a geniune product then.

Use the cheap ones for other things.

If that is not an option there is plenty of software (google it) you can use to check if your usb is real or fake and is the reported sold size.

These are good for flashing
    https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/…ck-of-3-10143801-pdt.html

I use a tiny kingston datatraveller for my box usb

• I ordered 4-off SanDisk Cruzer Snap USB 2.0 Flash Drives - 32GB from Argos for pick up tomorrow. £4.99 each is a pretty good price. I think you're right about that USB causing these issues. I followed Gorski's guide on using the USB to increase memory etc and I think that also meant a lot of stuff stored in the box ended up moving to the USB. A read error on USB is then likely to create issues.

I get that seasoned contributors here are passionate about what they do, and we noobies or those who just don't have time to learn the hard way are very grateful that you are there to support. But you did raise a valid point in your earlier post......Just because you know, doesn't mean they know. If we the knew, we wouldn't be asking. It has been very interesting reading the different view points and seeing how ultimately you're all striving for the same thing and, despite some differences, you're all on board in making fantastic systems and plugins. Kudos for that.

• In the most cases SanDisk is pretty safe(est) choice as many bootloaders (which have limited capacity to recognize all the sticks) are, sort of, made to be friendly with them. Once the kernel is loaded, almost all the sticks are more or less fine (usability, not reliability).

PurE2 Team Images Support Forum ~ based on OE-Alliance

PurE2 Supported Models ~

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!