Which OSCAM to choose from?

There are 19 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,125 times. The last Post () by lme.

• Hi there.

First of all, i should mention that i'm a complete newbie to Linux / E2 / everything else than proprietary STB's.

I will include this...let's say disclaimer in all my posts for a while so that you know what you're gettin' into.

So, i've (still) got a Zero 4K and trying to learn stuff, i've concluded that i want to install OSCAM on it, just don't

know which one too choose from those down below. Any help would be highly appreciated and if you have

any advices for configuring it (if that is necessary), please share that too.

• Hello.

You can connect via Telnet or SSH protocol to the Linux shell (command line) of the set-top box. For this purpose, use the well-known Putty tool for Windows, for example. According to the Enigma2 distribution, if you have not set a password yet, then use a Telnet connection first. Set a password using the passwd command, and then you can use a more secure and enhanced SSH connection.

It depends on the type of your Enigma2 distribution, because some Enigms use a special softcam (Oscam) launcher and then the softcam will not work if you install it via an IPK package designed for a completely different Enigma. However, the manual installation procedure should work almost always and without errors.

Note: The screenshot you mentioned probably only contains binary (boot) files, but not installation packages (ipk). These are intended for the manual procedure of installing or updating Oscam.

You can find out the architecture of your set-top box (mipsel, arm, arm64, aarch64, sh4, ...) via the command in the shell:

uname -m

Or you can find out in the technical specification of your set-top box, in the details about the chipset or the CPU.

You can install Oscam as an automatic IPK / DEB installation package or also by a manual procedure (a more complex procedure, recommended earlier for IT experts, for example according to this short guide: Tutorial : How to install softcam (OSCam/CCCam) manually, if you hate ipk packages ).

In terms of configuration, it's more complicated. It depends on what encoding your satellite provider uses on the satellite decoder cards. It also depends on whether your satellite card works in the UNI-reader of Linux set-top boxes at all. So it's a very individual and often complicated setup. Above all, you need to state what kind of satellite provider you have. Some satellite cards can even be shared for other softcam clients.

You can access the Oscam configuration via a web browser when Oscam is installed (http://IP_address_set-top-box:8888) or via an FTP connection - directly to the Oscam configuration files. There are several directories (https://trac.streamboard.tv/os…owser/trunk/oscam.c#L1662) where it scans the configuration of Oscam after its launch. However, the most common directory for Oscam configuration files are the following two directories:

/etc/tuxbox/config

...or...

/etc/tuxbox/config/oscam

• Hi s3n0.

First of all i would like to thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately, even after your reply i'm not very far from the starting point. Wanting to learn, i've managed somehow to figure out Putty, to the point

of finding out that my Vu+ has "armv71", which i've already found in the specs at the purchase time. But hey, i have learnt something! :)

From this point, even after reading the tutorial you mentioned, i'm still in the dark. To give you more details of what i'm trying to do around here, i

should say i'm trying to see a FocusSat Romania Conax card in my Vu+ (just see it beind detected if i can express myself this way, because i do not

have my dish pointed to 0,8W at this moment) and to become familiar with softcams for possible "further" use. My Vu+ Zero 4K has BlackHole

installed on it.

All these being said and if possible, please point me to the right oscam/cccam/whatever you wanna and to a decent and safe source for downloading

it. Since i'm a beginner, i also have some trust issues about downloading the first things i see on the internet to my box, only to become even more

frustrated and annoyed than i already am. Hope i don't ask too much or being ridiculous.

• send ipk file via FTP (via DCC or FileZilla) to tmp> / var / temp

after over telnet:

opkg install /tmp/*.ipk

reboot

• send ipk file via FTP to tmp> / var / temp

(via DCC or vucc vu+ control centre or FileZilla)

press green button>Addon – yellow button>Manually Install IPK packages – highlight it and OK (if you have Black hole image)

parabéns cr7 & moliveira88

Μπρέντφορντ Φ.Σ

RIP Vangelis Papathanassiou

• i'm on it.

i've had it uploades to usr/bin after reading around in this topic Tutorial : How to install softcam (OSCam/CCCam) manually, if you hate ipk packages but now i've deleted it and will proceed to what you both wrote.

going to do that and i'll be gettin' back here.

EDIT: and i'm back. after downloading and extracting the file @teak-won-do mentioned (

oscam-svn11678-vuplus4k-emu-r798.zip

(730.78 kB, downloaded 4 times, last: An hour ago))

i moved it to tmp> / var / temp after adding a .ipk termination for the file (it was missing, had none...) via dcc-e2 and used the remote. it shows that's it's doing something, but after that at the end it

displays some errors and it asks for reboot. after rebooting, should i find it somewhere or what's next to do?

Edited 2 times, last by dygey1 ().

• went further and downloaded another one from here Oscam emu ALL Images mips--arm .ipk .deb as mentioned before in this topic. same stuff, it collected some errors and nothing more happend after reboot.

i'm starting to get very frustrated here, for what seems to be a simple thing...such a headache? what about configuring it, because i understand it needs

that too? what the hell is going on here, because i'm almost at a point of losing my temper...

• you better ask

the forum as we don't know what card

and if it will work in oscam

you will need a config file for the card

so go ahead and ask

hope your lucky

parabéns cr7 & moliveira88

Μπρέντφορντ Φ.Σ

RIP Vangelis Papathanassiou

OSCam Support Forum

Configs, discussion, downloads and guides for OSCam Softcam.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!